FF spacers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF spacers

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Brian L, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are u sure 19s fit on the FF. I've never heard that before

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Seems modest and works well, you could do 18mm there I think. My 18 are 2-3mm outside the well at the top.

Yes, the 18mm has made for more understeer. I think 15mm is the way to go. Stock springs and no change in the front.

3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Yes, 19s fit. That was the answer from the mechanic at FoAustin when I asked him about using 19" Cali wheels on the FF.

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did you actually put cali wheels on the FF?

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    No. Actual fitting has never been done. I had read about this viable option from several threads somewhere on FChat. I inquired the mechanic about that because I really would love to have studless tires, ie XI3, instead for the winter, and the largest studless diameter is 19". I am also using the 19" option to open up more possibilities for my quest for all-season tires for the rear. I am still in the midst of both quests but I will for sure do an actual fit with Cali wheels if I decide to buy a set.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    first ive ever heard of it. why not just get a second set of oem wheels for the snow tires?

7. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I'm a believer in the 15 rear/10 front combo to keep better handling balance. That way you've only added a total of 10mm more width to the front than the back. If you just add rears (15's) you're adding a delta of 30mm between front and back...and you're naturally going to feel more of a handling trade-off..

8. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yea, I can see that. more understeer. Feels good though. 10/15 works on the FF as well as some have done. I'm just weary of front spacers, probably irrationally so.

9. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Yes they will. The FF uses the same brakes as all the other cars made at the time 19" can be mounted on the 458, Cali, Cali T, FF and F12. Heck, I believe the Forgeline GA1R can be made in an 18" with a barrel that will fit.

10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Because the studless tires models, ie Michelin XI3, that I would like to install only go up to 19". In addition to open up more available tire choices as mentioned above, I am also contemplating putting on 19" only for the front in order to get the 40 aspect ratio so I would have a little bit more sidewall and less likelihood of bending the wheels and getting stranded on the highway. There was an owner who mentioned bending the front right 20" wheels so many times...that got me scared.

You sure are a good source of infos. I would love the possibility of 18", which will open up tons of tire choices, including slicks, etc. IMO, going larger than 18" is likely beyond the point of diminishing return on performance...and mostly for cosmetic reason.

If all the brakes are the same, does that means the steel from Girodisc for 458 Italia/Challenge will fit the FF, too?
    Ferrari

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Thank you.

I don't know much about that steel disc setup at all. If the brackets on the calipers are the same between the 458 and FF, and the brake disc bell offset is the same, of course. But when I say the same brakes, it's not the same as directly interchangeable. Yes the discs themselves are the same and the calipers are the same etc. but the bell of the brake disc may have a different offset and the brake caliper may be mounted slightly different to the hub and so forth.

But if the Girodisc setup don't call for a change in caliper mounting, and they can make the steel disc with a bell offset that fits the FF, I don't see why it should not work. Exactly what goes into the Girodisc mod? Just disc and pads?

12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Hopefully Girodisc is having something in the pipework to put on their website for FF/F12. They can develop and manufacture new components so I might have to give them a call one of these days.

Yes. The following comes from Girodisc's website:

Q: What is required to install the Girodisc system?

A: The Girodisc system is a direct replacement for the OE disc.
    No modifications are necessary. The disc will bolt directly to the car and work with OE calipers and pads perfectly. Once the Girodisc system is in place, simply replace the cast iron rotor when needed. Some discs are larger in diameter and come with caliper spacers. If longer bolts are required, they are also supplied.

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    In that case, I'd say if the 458 only needs a disc, then if the part no. of the OE brake disc for the 458 and FF is the same, yes, it should be a straight fit. Girodisc may be able to tell you, but I think it's highly likely that they will fit, or can easily be made to fit.

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks!

15. maxbraketorque

Oct 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mychailo Toloczko
    Don't spacers at the front increase the amount of tramlining?

16. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    I have Lusso wheels on my FF. Wondering what spacer setup I can us. TIA

17. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    You don’t really need any. The offset on the Lusso front wheels is the same as the FF. At the rear, the Lusso offset is 10mm smaller so it has the same effect as if you put 10mm spacers on stock FF wheels on the rear axle.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you put 10 mm spacers in the front, you will get a better balance as you will reduce the increased understeer, introduced by the lower offset in the rear.

19. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    I was thinking of doing 15-18mm in the front. I don't track the car. What would the effect be on normal drivability? Thanks

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #45 Il Co-Pilota, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Don't do 18 mm in the front. It will greatly affect the steering roll center. The effect is not a minor thing felt only by racers, you will feel the car dart and be more prone to tramlining. If you really feel that 10-11mm is too little, see if you can live with Capristo 14mm then. Also, don't forget spacers greatly increase wear on hub bearings as well as ball joints. I've seen my share of people who fought hard to justify the changes they have made with aftermarket wheels and spacers, only to revert back a year or so later after getting properly tired of having a car that did not drive as well as the day they bought it.
    Can you optimize a car for better handling? Absolutely. But it is not done just by installing spacers or wheels sized for a chariot with über aggressive offsets.

In your case, personally I'd go with Hill Engineering 11mm spacers in the front to counteract the understeer from the aggressive rear offset and leave it at that.

I personally think the best way to fill the arches a bit, would be to use 9.5" wide wheels in the front and 11.5" in the rear and only lose about 4mm offset on all four corners, using the F12 MPSS tyre set. Alternatively the F12 wheel set with 10mm Novi spacers in the front and 25mm in the rear would work too. This has been done quite a few times, and not only looks good but also works well.

21. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    I just ordered yesterday 2 pairs of spacers, black anodised.
    I believe as well there is too much room between the edge of the wheels and the front/rear fenders. (Much cars share this issue, even the "exotics")
    But I also like when the car is nicer vs oem and you don't know why, like a discreet make up on a nice lady.
    So I ordered 4x11mm only; I will share when bolted.

22. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Ok I received and bolted the spacers, very nice result IMHO with 11mm front and rear.

23. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    photos please ...

24. Fast Poke

Fast Poke Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 31, 2019
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    From what I have gathered over the years. Especially when you are dealing with an AWD or 4x4 it is best to increase proportionately. I have always increased wheel spacers on all 4 wheels equally in order to keep the factory geometry while trying to increase the stance of the vehicle. I have been considering also doing 11mm all around on my FF and would love to see some pictures @altoria . If I were to plan on tracking my car on the regularly I would most likely not use spacers.

25. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Fast Poke and ANOpax like this.