FF spacers | FerrariChat

FF spacers

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Brian L, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've been resisting trying these out of respect for the factory set up, but the look is just too narrow in the rear end of the FF.

Tried 18mm spacers today, and they're a little too wide but wow, the ride was dramatically improved.

More stable in a straight line, more grip in a corner, and less tramlining. I think 15mm is likely perfect.

2. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    That's with the stock wheels?

3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Maybe the HE 15 mm spacers are a better choice if the tyres poke out with the 18 mm units.

4. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    For aesthetic reasons, have always gone with 15's on the back (with 10's or 11's on the front) of previous Ferrari's (and now being installed on new F12) and the improvement in ride never ceases to surprise me. My theory is the increased mechanical leverage on the suspension, resulting from having the wheel end-point extended, results in a softer ride. Sport still remains sufficiently firm for me, stability is great, and "bumpy road" is downright cushy. Having said that, no FF experience.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have alot of experience with spacers on the oem and f12 wheels on the FF

6. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    With all the millions of dollars and man hours that goes into designing a Ferrari, how come the factory doesn't do this if it makes the ride better, etc. Can anyone think of a reason? Im sure there has to be some downside to something.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    #7 Autolove, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    #8 Autolove, Dec 9, 2016
    550nitis and Monopole like this.
  9. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I'm with you and thinking along the same line. IMO, spacers add stress to the bolts and hubs and I would avoid them. I figure the extra length would have been built in from the factory if intended in the first place.

10. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Can only guess the factory set-up is designed to optimize performance across a range of criteria. Spacers definitely put a priority on the stance/look of the car and improve ride smoothness. On the other hand, there may well be a meaningful trade off in ultimate track and handling performance, and crispness.

11. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Certainly makes sense that there must be some increase in stress, but keep in mind that the bolt lengths are customized to match the spacer size. I've kept them on for very occasional track events (where I push pretty hard for maybe 5-6 laps at a time) with no issues at all. Any more than that, I'd take them off.

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    There's definitely more stress on both wheel bolts and the hub assembly. It will also change how the spring rate works in relation to the weight of the car. This is due to the fact that you move the wheel away from the leverage point, such that the up and down movement of the wheel exerts more torque to the pivot point. This will in essence make the car feel slightly softer.

As for why they don't? There's a couple of reasons. But the main reason is that most manufactures tuck in the tyres somewhat to protect the exterior. Also, there has to be room for snow chains. I believe the latter is a mandatory thing here in the EU. If they wanted to make the track wider, they would have to make the car wider.

Lastly, I've also been told that it makes for better aerodynamic efficiency.

13. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm confused how the lowering allows 20mm to work, and not protrude in the rear.

18 is sticking out a bit in the rear

seems like a 10/15 or 15/15 or 0/10 would be best for the stock springs (which I am happy with)

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Please let me know or send me a link of snow chains that would work for this car. I can't find any studless tires in oem sizes, or anywhere close to oem sizes especially for the rears.

15. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Camber.

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That would be a very large adjustment in the rear end ...

17. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    18mm to 20mm is almost identical so on my car if you can see the photo of the side is just perfect align with the fender, no sticking out at all

18. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Pearless Super Z6 P#SZ435 and Pearless Z Chain P#Z-563 will fit 295/35R20 and 285/35R20 tyres.

If you want to run studded tyres you can easily do that as well. Just get a set of Cali/Cali T 19" rims(or what ever aftermarket you like with same spec) and mount 235/40R19 and 285/40R19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 on them. And yes, 19" WILL fit as they are the same brakes on both cars. Heck even offset is almost identical between the FF and Cali/Cali T.

19. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Was in the garage tonight having a puff with the wifey and we were admiring the stance of the FF - its just perfect. I can see how someone might want to add spacers but I am so happy with stock setup and its perfect blend of performance and looks.

20. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    So why not share it instead of this post?

I'm with you, and that's why I resisted. Yet to me the car looks a little odd, rears are inset and bit more than fronts, both are under the wells more than I'd like.

I'm thinking of doing 10 or 15mm in the rear only. Stock springs. The 18mm feels really nice.

21. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Looks great ... still having an issue imagining 20mm tucking under in the rear with camber, but surely it works :) The fronts are easy ... big gaps there.

How does it ride compared to stock spring height, and how far down did you drop?

22. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    The ride is good! Actually to be honest I do not drive the car almost none before the new springs got install, but I like the way it feels (sportier)!
    It went down like 2 inches all around and I put a skid plate on the front too to be safe

23. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    #23 not4one, Dec 10, 2016
  24. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    spacers can help (along with ride height) make the car look a lot nicer and enhance the stance IMHO. There's a point where it looks cool and drives ok, but essentially you're changing the setup of the car, so be advised.... in 95%+ of street driving that won't make much of a difference, other than you might pick up more rock chips or get a bit of irregular tire wear.

As a general rule, when you (just) add spacers, you're adding track and softening the spring rate. Go wider in the rear, the rear end will "tow", you will get more understeer and the rear end will actually roll over a bit more. Go wider in front, you'll have less understeer but the car will resist rotating and taking a set (these are general chassis 101 comments)

Most Ferraris - the 458 in particular -are very rake and ride height sensitive. Again, realistically, 95% of street driving you won't notice it (unless you bottom out). Big ride height changes do require a careful alignment as you're changing quite a bit of the suspension geometry.

25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks for the infos!