FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 9 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i shld have added - both P1 and Bradan also havent seen any needing to be replaced.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    Definitely get an FF. It’s a great family car. I recently got mine (and had to get a new PTU a month after getting it) but that is why I got the new power train warranty. Very happy with it and you can drive it year round. Here in Chicago with snow tires it handles well in the snow as long as you remember to keep it below 5th gear :)

Outrun likes this.
  3. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Not at all. I’m saying the symptoms I’m having when I start the car, and engage the reserve, it would make the PTU OIL leak all over the engine compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    I don’t think that’s the case. The damage to the PTU was caused by “driving it hard” as Ferrari said and by ejecting oil when engaging Reverse is just one of the symptoms that shows the PTU either need repair or replacement.

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Guilherme, can you confirm that your car is a rental car? If so, how do you know that it hasn’t been abused when it’s out of your hands? I’ve seen some pretty rank treatment of rental supercars (static revving, bouncing the limiter, repeated hard launches and burnouts etc)

6. Outrun

Outrun Karting

This.

Had mine out today in Scotland and as i have the warranty, I’m really not worried. I’m in warranty till October, then I will either extend it or maybe buy a Lusso if they offer me a deal i can’t refuse. All cars have their issues, usually just a look on a forum will identify them. Life is too short to worry all the time.

7. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Yes, it was used as a rental but not daily rentals. It was used for weddings, real estate open houses and special events. The car was always accompanied by someone from my company at all times, so it wasn’t a track car, neither an abused car. Sadly they don’t specify this in the owners manual or any fine prints but Ferrari of NA can cancel your warranty if they believe if you tracked your car, used as ANY kind of rental, etc etc. Anything to avoid paying $50k out of their pockets.

m5shiv likes this.
  8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I don’t blame Ferrari for having a policy against rentals.

9. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    So you probably agree with the “racing” and “track” restrictions I’m guessing.

m5shiv and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Sorry,
    But to be clear. You acknowledge that your car has been used as a rental and you are upset that Ferrari did not / will not cover something that they in advance ....clearly stated they would not cover? And by clearly, I mean page 19 of your Warranty and Service Book , in its own bolded paragraph , clearly stating.... " any rental for limited, hourly, lap, track, driving, racing , or other school, or other commercial use " ie : No small print...

SMH

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    I’m not upset at all. If I was I’d be suing Ferrari. I’m just telling everyone that if they misused their vehicle either as a rental, track, school or all the above you mentioned, their warranty will also be voided. Not here complaining about the warranty. I did complain about the issue with the PTU as a part. Nothing else to be clear.

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Ferrari's clearly outlined rules, doesn't matter how an individual or group of individuals feel they should be defined, its their warranty, and they make the rules.
    Want to race a Ferrari... Challenge, GT2, GT3 , FXX series , Retired -F1 .. .lots of options ( They still don't come with warranty )

Ferrari even outlines what they consider " normal " .. and what is not.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Imo the track means pretty much a lot of car will be voided . Imo Ferrari are meant to be in track but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Outrun

Outrun Karting

A friend here in the UK took his Maserati Ghibli on track for charity, taking kids with disabilities around on warm laps, nothing crazy. His power steering rack gave up and as he told them it was on track, they voided the warranty. Maserati then did an advertising campaign with the Ghibli and Levante on track and some BS about Italian passion etc.

A whole bunch of friends from a major Maserati forum logged in to their facebook and other social media adverts and posted stuff like “as you are advertising cars on track does this mean the warranty is in tact etc” as well as some less subtle comments.

Eventually Maserati repaired the car but it took a huge combined effort, And remember this guy was not going crazy, he was giving kids an experience of a lifetime.

Bottom line is they will do everything they can not to pay. Pathetic though it is.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Well said.

m5shiv likes this.
  16. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Really big thanks for the detailed response, and largely putting my fears to rest, (fully understand their is a risk, but so is there buying any technology - my last TV lasted x7 days before it had lines running through it)

So now it simply comes down to the drive of the x2 cars, and yes there is pros and cons to both V12 and V8, or get a a really nice FF....I would purchase the car from an official Ferrari dealer in any case (my last x2 cars have been thro Meridian) so would have the power train warranty.

In my case hope as a strategy has not worked out well for me in the past, this knowledge replaces that...was almost losing faith...

Cheers

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Does anyone know if Porsche also voids warranty on tracked cars?...Especially their GT series. What about Lambos, McLaren, Bimmer M, AMG, Audi S/RS, etc?

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I was concerned that each time just putting the car in reverse was causing damage.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Driving Hard...this Is a broad and vague statement...I guess it could mean anything

20. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I mean no disrespect, but the factory may see a difference between an owner with an SCCA racing license occasionally tracking their personal cherished car and a series of Ferrari neophytes potentially beating on a rental. I have a long-standing relationship with the dealer, and they know me. Your rental clients are unknowns and probably have minimal experience with Ferraris and near zero concern for whether the car is treated properly. I’m sure that you understand the difference.

21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    In short, yes.
    ( From personal 1st hand experience )

EndlessDoodles likes this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    what does Ferrari DO with their own client cars that are tracked for their private driving experience courses? Are those current Ferrari models sold with a factory warranty?

23. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

That is a good question. I cannot think of an ex-event car that fell under warranty. Let me see if I can find an example. Or , if you have the last 6 of an ex DE car PM me and I will find out.

S

of2worlds likes this.
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I was just thinking of the new SF90 that are supposedly coming to the Driving Experience this year?

25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is ironic, since Ferrari test all of their cars during development at Fiorano, and when the FF first came out, Ferrari put their driving instructors in FF's for a track event.

I suppose it is a legal maneuver to save Ferrari money and liability.

LARRYH and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.