FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I bought the FF secondhand in October 2016 with 2,700 miles, so it’s seen over 6,000 miles per year in my hands. Plus, a few track days just for fun. No 4wd or F1 errors. The passenger display stopped working once and then miraculously came back to life. Otherwise bulletproof.

I don’t doubt that there’s a potential issue. Just providing my personal experience. The internet sometimes tends to draw more negative than positive experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH, ScottS, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  2. Leo Rocco

Leo Rocco Rookie

Jul 29, 2019
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Leo
    I just bought a Ferrari FF and I too got the manetinno error. After 2 weeks they received confirmation that the PTU needs to be replaced and they got approval from Maranello. Parts are being shipped from New Jersey. The warranty is huge!

3. gsm348

gsm348 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It seems like there are numerous instances reported of multiple failures in the same car whereas some like TTforcefed have zero issues after a healthy amount of mileage. It makes me wonder if there is another contributing factor / flaw to the car that triggers these failures dealers are not looking for. As someone mentioned earlier perhaps there is just not enough volume of these running thru each dealer for them to begin to recognize a correlation between these failures occurring.

Sure this may be overblown and it's one thing for it to fail in the first place but a whole other issue / concern to make the $$ repair and still keep the roulette wheel spinning for the next possible failure.

It would be wonderful if a dealer or owner who has seen multiple failures in a single car had any data available to compare against those "bullet proof" cars service history.

Greg

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ive had the 4wd manettino issue in the past. Went away a cple years ago. My independent said some wires or something got cramped under a piece and thats all it was. 32k miles and going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What year ff?

6. Leo Rocco

Leo Rocco Rookie

Jul 29, 2019
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Leo
    2014 with 25k miles.

7. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Based on reading these issues, I wonder if the Purosangue will adapt this or go with something more conventional. I think that will tell us something in their belief in this system.

635CSI likes this.
  8. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Spoke to my dealer when i collected the Lusso after its 2nd service at 14000 miles. He confirmed they have never changed one and none of the cars they have sold and service has had any issues. When I mentioned the thread and how not uncommon the problem seems to be he re-confirmed it is not an issue they have had to deal with.
    Having said that the Power Train Warranty at £3,400 a year covers all mechanical issues from the PTU back to the gearbox including all drive elements. Obviously wear items are excluded such as the PTU clutch but that has a potential life span well beyond the normal usage.
    Having enjoyed numerous Promo events with the Lusso V12 where dealers cars and those provided directly by Ferrari with nominal mileage are put through their paces (Launch Starts, Maximum speed runs on the measured mile, Track days where 3rd and 4th are more often used in anger on turns and chicanes plus the general encouragement to see what the car can do I'm not surprised to hear some cars have issues. If I were in the market for a used Lusso I would definitely try and remember the reg numbers.

I bought my 2015 FF and 2017 Lusso new and religiously kept the load and revs down for the first 1000mls then gradually let it breath as the mileage increased. With mostly longish runs to Italy and back with a mixture of neck exercises up and down the Gotardo and Stelvio the car feels so much noticeably better than when new.
    At 4 years if still mine I shall definitely get the power train warranty which compared to depreciation is a snip.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    does the power train warranty cover the ptu in the USA?

vcappp likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can someone recap what they believe to be the actual symptoms of a ptu that going to fail? im very confused by this.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes- that’s why I got mine ptu and dct covered

13. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I believe the warranty is common to all countries. It certainly covers it in Europe

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Sorry i shld have been more precise. Ive been told fna pushes dealers to conclude that they shldnt cover the ptu by blaming the cause on something else which isnt covered.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s very possible too! I hope not to have to find out!

16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Any idea what the cost of repair - parts/labor would be w/o the warrantee?

17. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What is interesting to me is that when I got all my paperwork back from the dealer on what they did.....battery change, check fluids, door recall work, not doing the airbag recall, etc....over 2 pages of service work.....not one mention of the the PTU.....interesting....

hkg1997 and of2worlds like this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i had this for a while and then it just stopped happening

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats odd to say the least

20. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    As a point of interest, I believe that total FF production was just under 2,300 units. Not the low 100s as postulated earlier in the thread.

Based on Ferrari SF service experience, the failure rate of the PTU in their fleet of customer cars was about 5% per annum.

21. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    As a Lusso V12 owner and former FF owner who has covered 15,000 trouble free miles in both cars, i was keen to find out more.

I called my UK dealer that i've had an 11 year relationship with and they have had one 2012 FF that had a 'gearbox issue' and no Lusso gearbox/PTU issues so far.

Just trying to get an idea of how frequent the problem arises.

635CSI and Bundy like this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wide world of ferrari had one FF ptu replacement and it was due to the owner bumping into a wall with the car. idk about lussos

Bundy and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

This all thing reminds me of an argument I have with my wife all the time regarding social media. It seems that issues do exist but they are not that frequent ; however social media reports more the negative than positive and it is pretty scary

LARRYH and timjen88 like this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yup, just like random people googling signs and symptoms for whatever they have, and then suddenly everything benign just become a cancer!

So I will just stop looking at these threads until one day something came up...

Just enjoy your car and deal with it when the problems show.

Bundy and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

U nailed it! My wife has been driving me nuts with vaccines for kids just bc her research shows some have harmed kids, sure some do but a lot less than they save lives... it’s a stretch to compare the PTU to a vaccines but u get my drift.

This reminds me to the differential issues on testarossa : most claims it will fail...it wasn’t great for sure, but it depends how u drive too.