FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 15 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Is this a mispost?

These are the posts I'm talking about.

This is the quality of a F1 World Champ. For which you get a complimentary sidekick to play the one-two game on the junior poster?

Who had the service done for that price? You? You heard? Miller? I live on the west coast. Is that helpful? Can you tell us what shop? And other people are off topic.

That's you this thread.

But keep up the bullying. I called you out on inane posts for 13 pages. I standby that. Keep up the noise with sidekick.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    trying using the search button if you can figure it out

3. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016

Search for what? There is a thread on your 2012 FF's PTU or DCT failure? Can you send the link?

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oh ufort not - i have had no DCT or PTU or jshfaiedhfiwuhfiuwehfwiehf failures after 33k miles. happy motoring and doodling.

5. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    A couple of aww, shucks I'm so lucky posts in a thread dealing with people's problems is fine. And not all your posts were of that nature.

But repeatedly over 13 pages and (this) reader wonders why keep repeating it: 1) a kind of schadenfreude? I don't want to assume cynicsim 2) a desire to silence certain threads of conversation--again don't want to be so cynical 3) love of ferrari and pain at seeing negative press: ok, but this poster, anyway, was quite careful if you look through my posts I take pains to clarify a) my car year, which seems to have a lot of the issues and 2) that the car will be sold by the beneficiaries of my will.

6. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    the doodling line is fourth grade bullying. but hey, you're an F1 World Champ.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not true - 4th grade bullying wld have been if i called you a snowflake, which i did not.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've read his posts for many years and always found him helpful. Could he have posted the same comment many times in this thread? I don't know I'm not going to take the time to re-read the whole thing. Even if he did repeat himself, so what?

Just be aware you are the one who did the attacking. Put him on ignore and you won't have to worry about it. ;)

EndlessDoodles and BJK like this.
  9. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    No that would be boomer bullying talk at a fourth grade reading level.

Looking good, pal. Keep posting. It's quantity that counts , clearly.

10. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Thanks I think you're right. My initial response may have been due to reading the thread in one go, which is not how they're crafted. So I saw patterns less obvious to readers and posters.

Not my finest moment and TT as you see is unimpeachably upstanding.

Seriously though nice of you to write that!

Nospinzone likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Keeping fchat great!!!

12. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    "Even if he did repeat himself, so what?"

The gatekeeping of forcefed and sidekick is about the purity of an archive. A noble goal.

That's why the zinger of first and last resort is "do a search"--that old canard of the forum world. That odd verb usage "do a" instead of "search" is a legacy of old forums. Nobody knew how or wanted to learn to search. So they asked again. And old members would shout that they "do" one.

The issue then is : the efficiency of an archive.

When I looked at this thread and took information for myself I was grateful, if after a while accustomed to skipping TT's comments. Because they made my access to information inefficient. As a thanks , I thought I would give some information to the forum. And did, and was immediately given more of TT's repetitive comment. That was why I was very mean to him.

He violated what he would no doubt consider the holiness of the archive by making it inefficient. Repeating information. And to add insult he them tells me to do a search. And how!

We can't talk out of both sides of our mouth. It's all in the name of the archive , long live...

m5shiv likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Slow in the driveway

14. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Play it cool 12,000 posts. Don't mean nothing to you.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Kmart sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Don't text and drive

17. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Mods--you can delete all my posts. So this thread is more helpful for users.

Since I mentioned it.

Xx

18. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But what is the percentage of cars affected?
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EndlessDoodles likes this.
  19. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What kind of range is that 6k to 55k lol
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Forum data on failure rates is conflicting:

FFantastic says that Meridian U.K. have never replaced a PTU.

Motob who worked at Ferrari SF said their failure rate was 5% pa.

Safe4Now who works at Ferrari FW says that he’s only ever seen 2 failures and one was from track abuse.

Guilherme who is a dissatisfied customer of Ferrari SF claims that the 2019 failure rate was 12.5%.

TTforcefed says his dealer (Miller, I think) has only ever replaced 2-3.

There are now 16 confirmed PTU failures reported on FChat. There are other anecdotal failures too - a couple with track abuse and one with front end crash damage.

Ferrari built c.2,700 FFs. According to the annual report, Europe and The Americas account for c.65% of sales so roughly 1755 FFs are registered in these countries.

I think it’s unlikely that owners outside these geographies would find their way to FChat to discuss/log a PTU failure (due to language differences) and not all owners will come here seeking information - particularly if the PTU was fixed under warranty.

The best case failure rate is if we have a record of all PTU failures (and we know for a fact that we don’t). Of the 16 reported PTU failures, only 12 are for FFs. In that case, the best case failure is 0.7% over a weighted fleet age of 7.5 years. That’s a failure rate of 0.09% per annum.

If only 20% of the owners with a PTU problem reported it on here then the true failure rate would be 0.45% each year. That’s equivalent to 8 cars a year in Europe+Americas or 12 cars a year worldwide.

otakki, Bundy, EndlessDoodles and 4 others like this.
  21. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thank you for this insight, it does seem there are actually very few cars affected and with kits now available the potential repair bill should the worst happen is not a reason to avoid these cars. I was initially put off these potentially affected models but now thanks to you I will consider adding. Many thanks for your valuable contribution

FFantastic likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What wld be helpful is for anyone who has had a dct or ptu fixed over the past 6 months to report the price. Then an owner can take that current price and divide by 7k which is the cost to annually carry a warranty.

LARRYH and vegasviper like this.
  23. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I believe the Power Train Warranty which covers all mechanical issues is only £3500 in the UK (that maybe plus VAT ?)

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have never purchased one so i cld definitely be wrong but i'm pretty sure $7k usd is what i have seen quoted on fchat

25. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    It's €5,000 inc VAT in Europe so I suspect the UK figure of £3500 is ex VAT.

PTG1 likes this.