FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 14 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So how much with labor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    How do they rebuild it worldwide? I assume one would still need to have a local indy to disassemble the PTU from the car to send to them, right?

4. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Nobody other than Ferrari has the equipment to calibrate gears and bleed the air out of the PTU after replacement or rebuild. So keep in mind if you ever replace the PTU or rebuild it, you will have to take to Ferrari to bleed air out of the system + calibrate the gears to work in conjunction with main transmission. That can cost alone $1,500 on top of everything you already spent. I’m still working on a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    I don’t see anywhere $8,000 on that kit. That’s not realistic. This “repair kit” has been out for quite a while but nobody have come up with what is causing the PTU to fail nor what is the defective part to replace. The guy at GTE engineering gives prices anywhere from 6k to who knows! How can someone send a PTU to him without an accurate estimate? Worst than that, he does NOT give any warranty. So you will spend that much money and have no warranty it will work? Sounds too tacky, sorry! I’m working to find out what is causing the problem and I’ll report back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

timjen88, otakki, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  6. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Have admired your diy spirit, especially in spite of being ridiculed as a fear-monger. I'm sure by now those are bygones...

This was mentioned briefly a few times above and I wanted to add my experience. I have another account here but I can't remember the password and chrome defaults to this one. Anyway, the speed sensor in my gearbox failed spring of 2018, full cost around ~18k. Out of warranty but no problem I knew it could happen.

Fast forward to this February and took car to first indy for annual. The mechanic really admires FFs and wanted to chat about them. I live in a very unfriendly people are too cool to wave black baseball cap and sunglasses region of the us, so this was cool. When I told him my love of the car despite 1) DCT failure and 2)potential of PTU failure , the tech quickly said: "someone's already been in there." The dramatic law and order scene change music was at that moment piped into the room.

Second owner car purchased in 2016 from Ferrari dealer. This suggests Ferrari dealer is poor at diagnosing DCT failures , as late as 2018, and was mucking about in the ptu. Or ptu failed with owner #1 at under 5k miles. Or they said they fixed the dct in 2018 but it was actually Ptu. I suppose it's also possible that when the car was consigned they fixed it as a precaution, knowing it was a problem. Chances of that are 0% I would imagine.

For those keeping track.

LeviCoult likes this.
  7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    thanks for the info.

8. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    It seems quite unlikely that it failed that early, so far the earliest anyone has reported a failure was gilly6993 at 5000 miles. The average failure is around 17,000 miles.

I think your post brings up an interesting point though. There frequently seems to be some confusion between DCT and PTU failures/repairs. I'm wondering if this is causing the PTU issue to be under-reported, or perhaps over reported. There do seem to be a number of DCT fialures, and they don't seem to generate much buzz. That might be because its not an FF/Lusso specific component and therefore is more 'normal'. I've had a couple people on my list of PTU failures only to late take them off when it turned out it was a DCT failure. Speaking of which, here is an update. I did add CLG although after re-reading his post I'm wondering if that was actually the DCT. I didn't add yours though as its not clear if that was actually a failure.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Redline is average failure, gray bar is standard deviation.

ANOpax and Nospinzone like this.
  9. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    The average failure mileage is right on the money for my * DCT* failure, almost to the number.

There was buzz about the DCT failures, which was why I took in it stride, and it was my understanding that these speed sensor failures weren't exclusive to the FF (or even Ferraris if I remember right ? Not sure).

I mentioned the confusion of what has failed and what was actually fixed because it was mentioned above, to do with a swedish (was it?) translation of the word gearbox and to which it referred and suggestion of suspicious fluid replacement. Part of the question would be who is confused ...and is any information being withheld etc. And I don't mean that dramatically. As I said it could be something as simple as not being well trained and looking all over to diagnose an issue. When my DCT failed it took a long time for them to tell me what was up. Which may explain Indy reporting the dealer had at some point been in the PTU.

10. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Sorry: my number was high. I added two rear tires also thats how I got to 18. (USD).

Here's the body so you people can get a second hand arousal

Since it’s a bit difficult to get each other on the phone I’ll do my best to describe through an email what’s going on with the car. After looking into it, it was discovered that you have a faulty “speed sensor” The speed sensor is a individual part that is located inside the transmission/gearbox. I regret to inform you but this part requires the entire transmission/gearbox to be removed and dissected in about 30 different pieces. Luckily that part is sold separately and is available through Ferrari North America in New Jersey.

Here is the break down.

· DCT Speed sensor $1858.10

· DCT fluid $ 460.00

· Gear box fluid $ 245.20

· Cooler O-rings $ 44.50

· Sealant/liquid gasket $ 122.80

· Coolant/ Antifreeze $ 40.00 X2 + $ 80.00

· Labor charges for disassemble and re-install $ 11.100.00

Total cost of $ 13,911 + tax

11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    How can they look someone in the eyes and charge these prices? :eek:

12. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    #337 EndlessDoodles, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020

Also for public record. Never launched my car in five years ownership; as a rule have a kind of virginity complex with cars (compensation for the souls with whom I share my bed). So gentle use won't save you. And car is a 2012.

And yes I do still love it enough to take it from me would require prying from my dead lifeless fingers.

The worst part of ownership nowadays is being forever raced by Teslas. Gets old. In a big way these I.C. performance cars are obsolete when Newport Coast third wives blast past with their status anxiety. Time will help: the more antique it gets the less of that there will be. . Can just enjoy it

timjen88, Bundy, Nospinzone and 2 others like this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    guess im a lucky one at 33k miles.

otakki and vraa like this.
  14. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Your experience is recorded repeatedtly in Rainman style with a few exceptions in previous 13 pages. All due respect but jeez.

LeviCoult, m5shiv and Radu like this.
  15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    after 20 yrs the coronoa virus threads lose value - appreciate your ten posts.

LARRYH, Jaguar36, Nospinzone and 2 others like this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Almost 12,000 messages on this forum. :)
    a whole 10 messages on this forum. All due respect but jeez. :p

timjen88 and ANOpax like this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    here is what wld make this thread more productive - if you have had a PTU actually go and need replacement: post the miles, parts changed, and price paid.

Radu, Nospinzone and ANOpax like this.
  18. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016

Wondered who'd be first to play the seniority card bottom

19. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016

Your contribution to the thread speaks for itself. Flick through

20. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Read above. I have a second handle kenwidmerpool but I get it. Gatekeeping makes people happy etc. The enthusiasm of the gatekeeping though.

Your comments over these 14 pages have been super helpful. I'll walk myself out and forget the password to this handle also. Other interests blah.

I'm surprised i was so unhelpful but I really thought ttforce kept repeating his great luck for 14 pages to the point that an objective reader would likely wonder if it's a troll.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    kenwidmerpool isnt noticed by fchat as a user when you use the search function

22. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Maybe kenneth and why I can't login. Ha.

I'm no power user of this forum. But the seniority rubbish is nonsense. I want to talk about this thread and the relationship between PTU and DST failures. And I don't think that was inappropriate.

Some of us raised with tech and working on tech throttle our forum use. Because it can be negative. The seniority card silences. You were well represented in this thread. Let it go.

23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Now that would be terrific! The 'Rainman style' comment was 100% unnecessary. Now, you let it go and get back on topic!

ANOpax and Nospinzone like this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #349 ttforcefed, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    People have had dct fixed for 7500 pretty sure.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Its ok / let him doodle...

BJK likes this.