FF driven in Top Gear Magazine – April 2011 | FerrariChat

FF driven in Top Gear Magazine – April 2011

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Chicko, Mar 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That rear 3/4 view is stunning, it's so dynamic while maintaining a sense of cohesion.

3. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

My favourite angle also..

4. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    It looks agressive even when it´s all dirty!!!!

5. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #5 Tifosi15, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Fantastic review! What a truly great achievement Ferrari has done here, I love the last two sentences: "So now all the carping chatterers (is that a reference to here, I wonder...) have left to go on is the idea that somehow Ferraris and other supercars have a duty to be a bit bonkers, and the design of the FF is on the sane end of the spectrum, and its sheer usefulness somehow makes it dull. But if you'll excuse me, I won't participate today in that arcane argument about the philosophy of the supercar. I've got another mountain to drive up."

What a perfect car, they are even calling it a supercar. It also looks like the debate of it not being fun to drive can be rested too, lurid drifts around hairpins are still on the order, as well as a wonderfully crisp powerband. They made a great point that even though it has crazy levels of power it can still be used because of the sheer grip offered.

6. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

There also seems to be a few conflicting views with the AutoCar video review. It will be interesting to see line EVO take in next months issue.

7. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I forgot to thank you for sharing the link. You're right as well, there are definitely some conflicting views among many of the articles (R&T, C&D, Autocar, TG). I think this article was probably the most comprehensive, as it wasn't just the press event that they had the car. I hear that the founder of EVO magazine has an FF on order as well, I think we know who WON'T be testing it ;) I'm also interested in seeing all of CAR's road test.

I think the biggest thing Top Gear was stressing is that it isn't a watered down experience, and that for the most part it is actually more usable than say a 458 or a 599 because it doesn't have traction issues. They were also bang on about the styling and purpose of this car, that's the main thing people just haven't been able to understand.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for sharing, great article.

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Interesting but I am going to argue surely not having traction issue just removes another layer of driving involvement or was involvement not the idea of this car perhaps? My point being some enjoy managing traction in a 600 bhp+ car, even the 599 in race mode can easily spin the rears in through 1st and 2nd. It may not be a watered down experience but it certainly represents a new package for that experience.

Was a good article though!

10. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I think there is a difference between traction out of corners vs sideways oriented fun, think of a Porsche with their massive traction from the rear. The FF also offers the safety of the 4WD when you want it, but the characteristics (and even full on RWD) of a "driftable" car when you want it. This car was never meant to be an Italia, but even the GTO isn't either. The fact that people will consider it a supercar and compare it to an Italia says massive things about it!

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I wonder how many converts the FF will get from the 612 crowd. Perhaps Ferrari is just trading one group of buyers for a different group. Long as someone shows up with the money they don't really care...
    CH

12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very good post, on that point I wonder how many of the traditional Ferrari buyers will buy new FF's. The sad reality is to some history means nothing, they couldnt care less about the 250 GTO, 500 Superfast. I wonder how many will actually trade up from the 612 and as you say so long as people turn up with money but I have my doubts medium term.