FF clicking sound in the rear | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF clicking sound in the rear

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RickLederman, Oct 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    thanks for feedback, will take to dealer and revert with news after Easter

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    good to know ...

the oval shaped push-to-click on/off lights?

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    is this an item for normal maintenance?

rik

4. JohnDxb

JohnDxb Rookie

Apr 10, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathon Lewis
    Holy thread resurrection Batman. I have exactly the same problem described in the OP. Has anybody experienced that this noise?

ive just bought a 2014 FF with this noise. Garage is saying CV axle however I have sent them a copy of this thread for reference.

would really appreciate any feedback of those who’ve had this issue.

5. JohnDxb

JohnDxb Rookie

Apr 10, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathon Lewis
    Just a quick update on this - I had the CV axle replaced all is good in the world of the FF now - the clicking has gone. I understand this is a common problem on the FF and GTC

6. TriumphantTaco

Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2018
    My 2012 has this clicking too. Can you give me a sense of how involved/expensive the CV axle replacement is? Anyone know if this is covered as part of New Power warranty? Gracias.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are you sure its not the rear passenger light switch?

8. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    That rear light comes across as more of a rattle and not a clicking. I have described in past post how to simple fix the light but would also like to know the cost to replace the rear CV joint axles or if just the CV joint themselves can be replaced.

9. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    Seems like it may be as simple as replacing the CV axle nut and retorque with blue loctite. This is what fixed the issue on my F12

10. JohnDxb

JohnDxb Rookie

Apr 10, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathon Lewis
    This should be covered under the New Power warranty - my car is warrantied with a third party but they essentially copy and pasted the Ferrari scheme and they confirmed it would be covered.

However the part is available on Eurospares and is around 1k US$ from recollection.

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The rear axle/ C/V joints do not cause the clicking noise. They don't go bad, aside from grease leaking from the rubber boots. It is the splined connection between the rear axle and hub that loosens up and causes the clicking noise.

In addition to proper torque and staking the nut on the axle shaft, Ferrari specifies that locking compound is to be applied on the splines of the axle before it is installed in the hub in order to prevent movement between the shaft and hub (causing the clicking noise).

You can remove the center emblems from your rear wheels and have someone listen to/feel the nut as you shift from reverse to first (with the brakes on) and feel the play/movement of the nut and axle-shaft in relation to the hub/wheel.

The fix is to disconnect the axle from the hub, clean the splines on both parts, reapply loctite to the splines, reinstall the axle in the hub, install a new nut, torque it to spec and stake it in place. The only parts cost is a new axle nut. Labor is about three hours.

The reason that replacement of the entire axle/cv joint fixed the clicking noise is that the repair shop had to loosen and re-tighten the axle to hub connection. Hopefully they used Loctite on the splines or your clicking noise will return in the future.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

BOKE, vraa, JohnDxb and 1 other person like this.
  12. JohnDxb

JohnDxb Rookie

Apr 10, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathon Lewis
    Great response Brian - many thanks for detail!

13. Jboz

Jboz Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Justin B
    Purchased a V12 Lusso that seems to have the same problem. Just dropped it off at an independent shop here in Dallas. Will keep this thread up to date once completed.

14. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    The plastic sound you hear is the rear passenger overhead light. Pop out the lens and put a little felt in the area that is loose.

ttforcefed likes this.
  15. bumcubed

bumcubed Karting

Apr 15, 2022
    For our FF with the intermittent clicking sound from around the rear wheels, the Ferrari dealer said the wheel bearing is loose and the hub / bearing needs to be replaced, but it’s not an urgent fix