FF clicking sound in the rear | FerrariChat

FF clicking sound in the rear

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RickLederman, Oct 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Before I describe the problem I am only looking for responses from other FF owners/drivers or those with direct experience that have had a similar problem or have not had the problem, not the Prius drivers (sorry John :D) that want to nay-say the FF. The FF is Ferrari's best kept secret!

The last six months or so my FF has been making a clicking sound from the rear of the car when you start out. Usually it is two to four clicks and it happens whether going forward or reverse. Sometimes it will go click ..... click click .... or click click ....... click etc. At first I thought it was clutches in the rear but the rear is not driven like the front. Then I thought maybe something with the brakes. I asked MAG to drive it yesterday and they for the moment have no idea. The amount of power you use seems to make little difference.

If they all do it then there is no problem. If mine is the only one then maybe there is something for Ferrari to look into.

2. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Certainly haven't noticed mine do it Rick.

Good luck in discovering what it is. Keep us posted.

Mac.

3. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Rick

Have not notice any such noise in close to 20,000 miles, I had a squeak, but was fixed with WD 40 to spring luggage cover :)

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I too have a squeak but it is one of the parking brakes I think that doesn't release totally immediately. It takes driving 50 feet then stopping and it goes away.

Thanks guys for the help! If no one has the problem other than me then I may be without the FF for a bit.

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Nope. Nothing but I have only 5K miles. Also have never heard a clicking noise as you describe on my 458 (same DCT) or any of the others I have driven.

It may not be drive train. Could be suspension, bushing etc.

6. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    No such noise in ours at 24K miles.

Seems like you are once again forging into new territory...

7. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Rick

That may be your car complaining that there to many Prius on the road ( sorry couldn't resist)

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Rick

Nothing similar on our FF, but on the 458 we had a similar noise. Is the frequency of the click consistent with wheel speed? We had a small piece of crud on the backside of the rotor, every time it would rotate thru the caliper you could hear it at low speed (i.e low noise), just on inner edge. Luckily caused no damage, only found it when I finally got under the car since it was driving me crazy.

If the frequency is consistent with wheel speed it should narrow down the possible sources.

Keep us posted please

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The frequency seems to be affected by the amount of power the engine is making :) and has absolutely nothing to do with speed. MAG is picking it up Monday, we will see. Good news is when it is done I am having Esoteric Auto Detailing tidy up the paint and put their new Gyeon silicon dioxide paint sealant on it but that's another story. I'm told it is way better than 22 PLE, we will see as 22PLE has lasted almost two years.

10. franzapp

franzapp Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Hi. I had a similar issues in another Italian exotic. It ended up being the half-shafts from the diff to the wheels.

The would click-click as you would initially engage power, and then the noise got worse to the point it was clicking more and more.

F

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have a plastic rattle with the windows down right behind the drivers seat - it's not a click tho.

rick have u considered using one of the new synthetic coats like modesta? I hear people rave about them. I wldnt use it on something that was garage kept and never driven but on an FF it might make sense

12. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes, the connection between engine/throttle output and the clicking noise implicates the rear drive train components -- differential and half shafts, possibly a universal joint.

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks for the ideas guys. Actually today I was putting some tire coating on and as I put pressure on the rear wheel I heard it click. I will suggest listening to the CV joints in the rear to my mechanic.

22 PLE was done a couple years ago to it. On the way back from getting the clicking and the engine light fixed the FF is going to Todd Cooperider's Esoteric Auto Detail. They have a new product, better than 22 PLE called Gyeon that uses silicon dioxide in its coating that is supposed to be even easier to keep clean. I've been warned to be careful driving in the rain as it beads so well that its hard to take your eyes off of the beading :) ... I'll share photos in another thread in a few weeks.

timjen88 likes this.
  14. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    PS I have had good results with OptiCoat Opti-Coat Pro / Optimum Gloss Coat Its main constituent is Silicon Carbide (SiC) whose hardness approaches that of diamond. On the logarithmic "Mohs" hardness scale diamond is 10; SiC is 9.2-9.5; Quartz (crysalline SiO2) is 7.0; and a fingernail is around 2.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are opticoat and modesta comparable?

16. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I have no experience with it.

Modesta has a composite of glass and titanium dioxide (TiO2). TiO2 is softer than SiC and quartz (SiO2) so it may not be as durable. See Mohs Hardness Comparison Chart/Review of Abrasives at READE But the nice thing about TiO2 (and SiC) is that it has a high index of refraction, higher than SiO2, so the film should have nice optical reflection properties. Don't forget that diamond is not only the hardest material; it also has the highest index of refraction.

But all this is theory. There is no substitute for trying them or knowing someone who has.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agreed. just trying to figure out which cars to use as the guinea pig.

18. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    In the spirit of "First do no harm," I can testify that Opticoat has worked fine on 3 cars and seems to be very durable. No need to redo after two years.

19. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    Wow, finally something I can contribute!

I got Modesta on my FF. I don't have anything to compare it to as this is the first car I've ever had "coated". Its crazy good. First off, when the polish happens, it really brings out the metallic sparkles of the Nero Daytona. There was a thread here about a member who had his F12 corrected at the dealer for Orange Peel and he mentioned the car looked completely different in color. I feel the same (although, mine still has orange peel)

The coating for some reason, simply resists dust. I find myself not having to wash the car very often. I'm in California, so all I get is dust... so a quick wipe down and its shiny again!

20. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Perfect.... that's one reason why we have these forums.

21. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    +1

22. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    FF clicking is fixed, they checked the axle torque, cleaned & lubed & adjusted the e-brake shoes and the noise is gone. It had also been squeaking when starting off after starting the car for about 100 feet or so with something obviously rubbing. Once you hit about 20 mph it would permanently go away until parked again. So this all points to the e-brake shoes :).

That's it for this thread, the engine system fail light came on again today during their test drive so there will be more troubleshooting there and I will post the results on the other thread.

23. Magnani

Magnani Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jason
    sorry to bring back old thread, but I've got the same clicking from 2012 FF. LFSC said it's normal and all of ferrari's v12's can make this sound. Anyone else getting this sound?

24. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    I hate rattles especially in a Ferrari.
    I know it does not help the gentleman with the clicking sound.
    I have had the same rattle experience with a plastic rattle sound and it got predominantly worse with the window down. I discovered it was the upper rear interior side light. Turns out you separate the lens from the base and where it rocks on the switch had a missing felt piece. I simple replaced the missing felt and the combination switch/light was tight and no more rattle.
    Hope that helps someone.