FF as a daily driver. | FerrariChat

FF as a daily driver.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by mpowered, Mar 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mpowered

mpowered Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2008
    United States
    Full Name:
    You Know Me
    I'm sure this might be the best dd Ferrari has ever made, but will people be willing to drop 400K on a daily driver?

2. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    It's hard to say, there will probably be a steady stream of buyers who drive it for a few thousand miles and sell it in the next year. The FF does offer a whole lot more than anything else on the market, but for a handsome price, it's own capabilities that make it such a great and expensive car will also be it's achilles heel

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    No doubt it will be an awesome dd, leave the 458 for weekend driving ;)

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The super wealthy will drop $400k for a daily driver...and they will probably have 4 or 5 other daily drivers as well.

5. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    4 of 5 daily drivers? The super wealthy must drive a lot.

6. 06Spider

06Spider Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    Daily Driver for $400K? Hmmm tough decision. But I don''t think so. The $400K price vs. the utility of the FF is the basic challenge. The car is designed with a lot of DD attributes in mind. But how many people, can seriously use a $400k car as a DD. Market is very limited.

7. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Maybe, MAYBE, it makes more sense to buy one FF instead of a new Bentley every year? However, I don't think this car will change people's personal habits of wanting the newest every year or so

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Is it Trail Rated?

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The term 'daily driver' generally means 'not reserved for special occasions', therefore you can have more than one daily driver.

I used to switch back and forth between my Pathfinder and E55. They were both my daily drivers and the Viper and F355 were used for 'special occasions'

So yeah...the wealthy can have several daily drivers.

10. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Very limited for sure....but enough for 1000 a year or a bit less? I think so

11. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I still can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want an FF over a Bentley.

I have the CGT Speed and it cost half the price of a FF and is so much better looking in my opinion.

Plus it's got a dual turbo charged W12 engine, 4 wheel drive and all the comfort in the world.

It's my DD and I love it. Taking off the snow tires next week.

12. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #12 Tifosi15, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Some would argue the looks, like me, but of course that's subjective. Price is a good point though, that I can't argue.

The FF has a naturally aspirated V12 with more power, and just a bit less torque. The V12 obviously sounds a whole lot better and will be more responsive, again it's NA.

You've seen the videos of the FF, it's a very serious and capable car with special development on the snow and the really neat 4RM system. It also has quite a lot more cargo room than the Bentley. The new leather is supposed to be really special too, even for a high end car like this.

That's how I can see why someone would buy one over a Bentley, but that major price difference is a huge caveat.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was mentioning that the Continental is the obvious 2+2 AWD competitor, although it's ~6 years old now. Also a Panamera Turbo is only like 40% of the price.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I also had the Speed,great car but not in the same league with the FF performance wise.
    Supersport is closer,not that much cheaper (MSRP almost the same as projected base for FF) but still a porker at over 5000lbs.
    On top of it,FF is also 4WD and has even more space inside.

15. Therry

Therry Karting

May 26, 2010
    It's funny because before FF premiere everybody on this site say: how boring is Lamborghini with 4x4; and now when Ferrari do the same everyone say: what a great idea :D

16. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Two very different cars that serve two very different purposes.

17. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    The FF will go down as a massive financial blunder on Ferrari's part. They overestimated demand for the previous generations(f430, 599) due to seemingly never ending expansion of consumer credit. Now theres tons of inventory, prices are down 50-60% from MSRP. Italia's are already for sale in the secondary market. Even wealthy Arab countries have major inventory piling up. Putting out a 400k family daily driver in this environment is HUGE mistake.

18. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I agree.. I too find the bentley a better choice over the FF..

I actually am considering the bentley as my next daily.. just a beautiful car with great technology and yes, i've seen it do well on the track also :)

19. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I would love to know where you get your ideas from???

These are results for 2010:
    Net revenues 1.919 Billion EUR + 7.9%
    Trading Profit 302.7 Million EUR + 26.9%
    Cars delivered 6,573 + 5.4%
    Return on Sales 15.8% (one of the highest ever)

I guess they are not doing too bad are they? ;-)

20. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Does Lamborghini make a 2+2 GT car? Can't really follow what isn't there

21. mistercarguy

mistercarguy Karting

Aug 2, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dom Miliano
    I am discovering that Ferraris can be driven as real world cars - really. Just ask Richie Stein who drives his Enzo 6K miles/year. I spent a wonderful Saturday with him in his Enzo, driving real world roads in a world class sports car. Like riding with a rock star!

Anyone who drives his or her FF should contact me. I will do a story for Forza on the brave soul who knows how to enjoy the finer things in life. We are planning a regular series of articles on Ferrari owners who drive their cars - would love to hear from anyone who does...

22. mistercarguy

mistercarguy Karting

Aug 2, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dom Miliano
    I know several Ferrari owners who actually drive their F-cars. But they also own serious non-Ferrari "bad weather" cars. Some have Maseratis, Bentleys, Aston Martins - serious stuff and not inexpensive.

There are some folks in this world for whom $400K on a dream machine is not a deterrent. People own yachts, planes, beach homes - some in the $1M plus range and these are, at best, occasional-use possessions. A Ferrari could (maybe SHOULD) be a daily pleasure.

23. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    I can. My very personal reasons for not choosing the Bentley would be:
    they are everywhere, too ordinary+ slightly "pretentious" or "wannabe" status, at least in the part of the world where I live
    too heavy
    too much weight at the front
    4wd = understeer
    W12 sounds dull

24. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think for those who have the funds and yern for the days they can take thier F-car out in good weather the FF is the perfect fit for them as a DD. They can know be behind the whell of thier F-car year round. There is an argument of going the Bently route or others but if your a guy who'd rather be behind the wheel of a Cavallino, Ferrari has provided an option. Plus it has the cargo room for those Costco runs!

25. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    #25 champagne612, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    This weather thing is killing me!

Who cares if in bad weather you can drive a Ferrari.

For 400k it isn't the car of choice for anyone who buys one when they walk out to their garage - trust me there are better options!

If the owner chooses to take it and get hit or salted or potholes fine etc.!

It's something Ferrari took from Maser and thought what the heck. If they were completely comfortable they wouldn't be wasting PR money.

It is what it is ... a rich guys 2+2