Ferraris on the vine GTO vs GTO | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ferraris on the vine GTO vs GTO

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Roger103, Jan 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ffhillclimber

ffhillclimber Rookie

May 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Stan Vann
    Has the FOTV DVD been released yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Stanford Vann

2. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Stan, i was a particapant and have not received one yet, we were shown a quick unfinished version of at sat nites dinner, it should be quite good.Chuck

3. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Bob, any word on the DVD of 'The Event' , Chuck Coli Richmond..

4. SCM

SCM Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    Richmond
    For all of you who do not subcribe, you might want to get your hands on a copy of this month's Car and Driver Magazine. David E. Davis, in his monthly column, has some very nice words about Bob Weber, Ferraris On The Vine, and all of us who attended the event. Not a small thing coming from David E. Davis, and in a national mag.

5. Finer_Finish

Finer_Finish Rookie

May 20, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Just missed the event this year, but I enjoyed the winery very much, beautiful setting. I plan on attending next year.

6. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    All:

We finally got our DVD printer up and running, and the DVD's are winging their way to all participants. Thanks for your patience.

Yes, if you haven't already seen it, David E.'s report is in his column in this month's Car and Driver (August issue).

Also, keep an eye out for the new issue of Prancing Horse. FOTV has merited a 4-5 page feature story in the issue, and it's the 1st time that a regional event has gotten that large a footprint in an issue of PH (thank you Bill Ebert!!!). And, oh, I cajoled David E. to write the story, too!!

Hope everyone is well. I'm heading to the SC/NC Chapter track event this week at VIR and will be pouring our wines on Tuesday and Wednesday evening, along with running the 355 on the track. Maybe I'll see some of you there?

Best,
    Bob

7. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Great news Bob,

I've gotten the August issue of Car & Driver and am looking forward to the DVD and the next PH.

Thanks again and see you next year,
    Bob

8. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    Got the DVD today, Bob. Fantastic! Both videos! DED is quite a guy, an automotive icon! I'll find a C&D tomorrow and, as for the Prancing Horse magazine, we'll all have to be patient. It's about 2 months down the road. I think an article about me, Betty and the Dino going to Cavallino is also going to be published in that issue - - "The Road to Cavallino." probably a one-pager with pix. Are we havin' fun or what! Thanks sooo much for bringing some excitement to Ferrari lovers in your area.

Bill

9. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Glad you enjoyed it, Bill.

I'm off to VIR and hoping for sunshine. Just bought a SpeedLingerie bra for the car, and it's pretty neat. Never been a fan of the clear plastic on the paint....

10. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    To SCM, the honor was mine and the feelings are mutual - you are quite a gentleman. Thanks for letting me ride along since my 308QV was unavailable.

Bob, just read the article in Car and Driver that is sitting right behind the the computer on which I type this post. Good stuff, and DED is a real throwback to the days of real men and cars, and it was a pleasure to meet him.

Have fun down there and call me when you are ready to have me pick up the car to bring it back to your house.

Regards,
    MB

11. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So whatever happened to the GTO versus GTO match-up? Judging from the pictures it appears both were in attendance.

12. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    It never happened. The Pontiac folks claimed IIRC that it couldn't get proper fuel for the car. I really think that they didn't want to stress it either. It was a beautiful restoration with period skinny red line tires etc. It would have been fun to see, but just like in 64 the race never occurred. It was nice to see both cars represented. The Pontiac was the actual car from 1964, and being an old GTO owner I was certainly happy to see it.

13. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for clarifying.

14. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    #164 StanT, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    Oh, but they DID have a competition, sort of. At dinner Friday night in the courtyard in the hotel they had an engine-revving, exhaust-sounding competition.

Sadly, that set the tone for the rest of a very disappointing weekend, especially compared to the superb first FOTV last year. In addition to the lack of the much publicized head-to-head, settle it once and for all match-up, this year's Ferrari event ended with a major award going to a Lamborghini. Old man Ferruccio must be laughing in his grave.

15. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Stan, I agree with you that it felt a little bit disappointing, but I think that was because the expectations were so high. In the first year, there were no expectations, and it was all good. FotV 2 was still a great event, but in hindsight, I think they stretched a bit too far for the second year.

I exchanged lengthy emails with Bob after the event -- he knows what worked and what didn't, and I'm confident that he'll fix it.

I hear that next year's theme will be "unloved Ferraris", so maybe the 348 and 400i owners will have a chance to bring home some hardware!! ;)

- Eric

16. ffhillclimber

ffhillclimber Rookie

May 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Stan Vann
    Is there any chance that I could purchase a copy of the FOTV DVD. I enjoyed attending this event as a spectator.

Stan Vann

17. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The column is now up on line:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/david_e._davis_jr._two_nice_drives_then_jim_wangers_steps_out_from_behind_a_potted_palm-column

18. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  19. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    The pix look great Chris ... glad they put them with the online article.

Bob

20. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    It's great to see some of our FCA-MAR members being recognized by DED for their preservation efforts. Gordon and Andy Edwards were highlighted in the C&D article for their beautiful Ellena:

Said DED, "I tend to get all warm and moist over older front-engined Ferraris. Happily, Gordon and Andy Edwards were there with a very nice 1958 Ferrari 250GT “Ellena” coupe. The Ellena was designed by Pinin Farina but built by Boano. The “Ellena” name honors Mario Felice Boano’s son-in-law, Ezio Ellena. (The Pinin Farina name was changed to Pininfarina in 1961.) This model has become rare because so many of the early Pinin Farina cars have been cannibalized for parts to build replicas of more famous models. The Edwards’s dark-blue Ferrari Ellena 250GT was absolutely the car I most wanted to drive home that evening."

Well deserved Gordon & Andy - - a beautiful, authentic early Ferrari. And now let's get that Lusso on the road!

Bill