Ferraris on the vine GTO vs GTO | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferraris on the vine GTO vs GTO

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Roger103, Jan 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #101 toggie, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Another amazing thing I forgot to mention was how great the Virginia wines were. I had no idea such wines were made here. My two favorites were the "John Adlum Chardonnay" and the "2007 Adagio".

Also the meals were stunningly good and the kinds of things I probably would not order in the typical restaurant. Some examples were "Truffled Tuna Tartare" and "Braised Lamb Shank with a Parmigiana Reggiano Risotto".

Sign me up for next year's event!

Below are pictures of the Williamsburg Winery and the Wedmore Place Country Hotel located about 200 paces down the path from the Winery. The hotel is the building with the pool and courtyard in it. The large tent where we parked the cars was placed on the open grass behind the Winery buildings with the brown roofs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ffhillclimber

ffhillclimber Rookie

May 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Stan Vann
    As a vintage racer (62) of a vintage formula car (1970 Caldwell D9), it was indeed a rare pleasure to have the opportunity this weekend to meet one of my boyhood heros, Dan Gurney. I live just 75 miles south of Williamsburg in northeastern NC and happen to see a article about FOTV in the Virginian Pilot the weekend before. Thanks so much to the Williamsburg Winery for hosting such an outstanding event. I had never visited before but was so impressed with all I saw and the fine food and wine I enjoyed. I shall return and bring a friend or two. I'm already looking forward to FOTV 2011.

Regards,
    Stan Vann

3. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #103 modena2904, May 3, 2010
    We had a fantastic time again this year at FotV. Thanks to Bob, Claudia, Courtney, and all of the staff at WW for making it happen. And thanks to the Duffeler family for again hosting this great event.

We made a lot of new friends, and renewed many friendships from last year. We will definitely be back in 2011.

- Eric

4. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. cheny4

cheny4 Karting

Feb 15, 2009
    No VA
    Full Name:
    Cheny Y.
    #105 cheny4, May 3, 2010
    Just to echo everyone's sentiment about this past weekend: It was stupendous!

Bob: You are the consumate organizer!
    Claudia: Behind every good man stands a better woman. You stand before!
    Courtney: No way this would have happened without your hard work!
    Patrick: Thank you for opening your homestead to us!
    Matt: Grgich Hills lost a phenomenal talent when you left... we lucked out!

THANK YOU ALL.

It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. Stay in touch.

Here is a little brain teaser (more standard pics to follow):

Can you name all the models?

6. dwrom

dwrom Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Northern Va
    Full Name:
    David R.
    It was a fantastic event with wonderful food, wine, cars and people. Thanks to all at the winery for a very memorable weekend.

As a new F-car owner, I can't imagine how an event can get any better.

David

7. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Cheny:

I had a great time with you, and hoping that we can all rendezvous before the next FOTV; heck, I'll even organize it!

You are absolutely right, Claudia did the job of 3 people leading up to the event. I knew Claudia was good when I brought her aboard....and she flat blew my expectations into the weeds. What a find!

Love the brain teaser! Nice work, Cheney!

Bob

8. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Trust me, David, we now know what is possible. With 364 days to work on it, we'll take the experience gained from this year, learn from it, and take FOTV to the next level.

I dined with Dan and Evi last night, and we talked a bunch about the Goodwood Festival of Speed, as that is my vision for the ultimate expression of FOTV. It will take a few years to get there, but can you imagine??

BTW everybody, David E. has agreed to do the write-up on FOTV as a full-feature story in Prancing Horse! How cool is that? Send me your best photos to my email address at work and we'll cull throught them and select a few for use in the story.

Bob

9. MalteseVA

MalteseVA Karting

Oct 7, 2008
    250gto replica

10. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    but an awesome replica!!!!

11. ffhillclimber

ffhillclimber Rookie

May 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Stan Vann
    I had always dreamed there might be an American version of the Goodwood Festival someday and had thought the Biltmore Estate might be the perfect venue, but NO. I think we all know a better one. :)

Stan Vann

12. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just finished with the last of my editing. Came out with about 190 pictures with some being better than others. I tried to get everyone's car at each location, but some didn't come out perfectly. Shoot me a PM or an email if you don't see a picture you were looking for or if you are looking for a high-res version.

www.ferrarisonthevine.com/fotv2010/index.html

Chris

[email protected]

13. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    'Replica' shouts Fiero with FRP body panels hung on it.

Tefft's car has full 250 GTO running gear, and the 250 GT chassis is identical to the GTO chassis. Apart from the number plate, it's a GTO. Ferrari authorized the production of these 'continuation' cars back when this car was built, and they are badged as Ferraris.

'Continuation' seems a far better moniker than the derisive 'replica' term. It is certainly not a replica.

14. MalteseVA

MalteseVA Karting

Oct 7, 2008
    Fair enough. i have to say, it is the best looking "continuation" i have ever seen.

15. MalteseVA

MalteseVA Karting

Oct 7, 2008
  16. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Did anyone get any photos of the demonstration runs? I'd love to see some pics of our cars apexing past the haybales...

- Eric

17. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  18. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Toggie and Chris and others thanks for posting the pics!!! Glad you guys had such great weather and a beautiful event!!

20. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    #120 gcthree, May 5, 2010
    For me, the Friday night dinner in the courtyard was the weekend's highlight. Here's a shot with the 250 GTO in the backdrop.

The 'sound-off' will be an annual affair to 'launch' FOTV....

21. ffhillclimber

ffhillclimber Rookie

May 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Stan Vann
    Someone should produce a DVD of this great event each year. As someone said, to hear the stories from the legends of motorsport would be priceless. So much history gets lost if we don't record it for later generations. I hope there might be one in production from this year.

Stan Vann

22. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Video is being further edited and produced as I write this, Stan. Event participants will receive them shortly, and I guess we could make them available to others....

Bob

23. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    #123 John Dowling, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
    It's not an original and that's that. So, is it then worth $25 million? I honestly would have more respect for the car seeing it in the original body work it rolled out of the factory with. But, I am a purist, and that is just me. What's its racing history? What has it won? Who's driven it? This is what makes a car.

24. MalteseVA

MalteseVA Karting

Oct 7, 2008
    The Phillips's Mondial is a stunning Ferrari. Outstanding, authentic car