Ferraris on the vine GTO vs GTO | FerrariChat

Ferraris on the vine GTO vs GTO

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Roger103, Jan 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roger103

Roger103 Karting

Sep 13, 2009
    Full Name:
    Trim Tab
    I was told on May 1 and 2 in Williamsburg, Va that there would be the old Car and Driver rematch of the Ferrari 250 GTO vs the 1964 Pontiac GTO. Has anybody else heard about this event?

2. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
  3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure what happened the other thread but all the information is now on the website.

4. Roger103

Roger103 Karting

Sep 13, 2009
    Full Name:
    Trim Tab
    My money is on the goat!

5. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The inaugural event last year was outstanding -- definitely looking forward to it.

- Eric

6. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    #6 gcthree, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We'll top it this year by a wide margin...if that's possible.

Take a look at the cover of the 1984 Car and Driver where David E. reprised the 1964 story. Recognize the guy on the cover? It's a bit premature, but indications are that DG will be joining us this year....omg!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    It's confirmed.

Dan Gurney will be joining us at Ferraris on the Vine this year! Yes, Dan Gurney!

8. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Fantastic!!!

9. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    just sent my registration in, i will be there with a Daytona, hopefully no rain this year like last... looks like they have added a few new activities, Patrick Duffeler and his Winery are FIRST CLASS those who attend will not be dissappointed, Chuck

10. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Chuck:

Looking forward to having the Daytona aboard! We're working our tails-off to get it right and make sure everyone goes home with a big silly grin on their face. With Gurney's attendance, we just kicked the event into high orbit.

I was thinking last night, who owns the Daytona that Dan and Yates drove in the inaugural Cannonball Run?

Bob

11. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Bruce McCaw, I was searching through some Dan Gurney stuff last night after I got your email and came across this.

http://www.allamericanracers.com/cannonball_recounted.html

Great read.

12. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Sent my registration in earlier this week. Will be there with my 1998 355F1 GTS. Last year was fabulous, even with the rain. Bob and everyone there provided an amazing weekend, especially given it was their first event. My wife and I were giddy for a week afterwards from the experience.

13. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #13 Cobraownr, Feb 5, 2010
    From various internet sources:

Dan Gurney's participation in the November 1971 Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash was very last minute, as he had initially turned down Brock Yates's request to drive in the event. He had a change of mind when his father-in-law, who had been diagnosed with a very aggressive type of cancer, told Gurney's wife, Evi, to pass along this message: "Life is so short. Tell Dan to do it." Gurney called Yates the day before the start and said he'd be there.

The Daytona Coupe that Gurney and Yates drove in the event was a last minute add too. Ferrari wheeler dealer Kirk F. White acquired 365 GTB/4 No. 14271 from Luigi Chinetti as payment for a derelict Alfa Romeo 6C1500. The Daytona was originally sand beige with a black interior, but White immediately had it repainted in Sunoco Blue to match the 512 sports racer he was sponsoring with Penske. White used the Daytona as his daily driver for some months before getting a call from Yates the evening before the Cannonball start telling him about Gurney's imminent arrival and the need for a special car for Gurney to drive. White slapped some sponsor stickers on the Daytona, filled up the gas tank, and sent it to New York for the start.

How much arm twisting will we have to do to get Gurney behind the wheel of a Daytona similar to the one he drove in the Cannonball at FOTV 2010? First two photos are Gurney's Cannonball Daytona. Third photo is No. 16989.

14. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    I believe that a call to Bruce McCaw is in order, no?

Don Silawsky has that 9,000 mile Daytona that could serve as a wonderful surrogate, and he's threatening to bring it along.

15. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Don, yours is blue! do you think Dan would fit in it? Ha! Ha! just kidding.. Chuck.... by the way are you bringing it?

16. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Hello, Chuck. If there was any clearance problem between Dan's noggin and the roof of the Daytona, I figured we'd just cut a hole in the roof and put in a "Gurney Bubble", like Ford did on the Mk IV that Gurney drove to victory at 1967 Le Mans. ;-)

My Daytona is makin' me crazy. On the one hand, it's a legit 9,600 mile, Platinum-level car. They don't get much better, and I love the colors. Owning something like that is a kick. On the other hand, I can't convince myself that it really isn't "Too Good To Drive". I've owned it for two years and put a quarter mile on it.

If I'm afraid to drive the Daytona and lose a chunk off its value by turning the odo into five figures, I'm not sure what the point is in keeping it. Hence, the car is presently up for sale at a dealer in Florida. I've enjoyed my 365 GTC. Keeping two Ferraris was never my plan when I bought them in early 2008--just before the market nosedive.

But, if I still have the Daytona in late April, it will be at FOTV for sure. Looking forward to seeing you again. I hope you bring your Daytona out this year.

17. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    i would love to be there but my son turns 1 on 4/30 and we will be celebrating all weekend. maybe next year. hope it goes well and the weather is nice.

todd

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #18 Bryanp, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    I think I can safely say that a 288GTO, a 1955 500 Mondial and a 1953 375MM will also be attending.

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    just for the hell of it, since Dan Gurney will be there, a few fun facts about this amazing man:

Ferrari F1 team driver in the 1959 season. Also raced Ferraris in California in 1957.

He won for Porsche in its one and only Formula 1 win (GP of France 1962);

In the 100 year history of Grand Prix racing, the only American to put a car of his own construction in the winner's circle - GP of Belgium 1967 in the Gurney Eagle;

One week before his historic GP win at Belgium, he (and AJ Foyt) won the 1967 24 hours of LeMans - not bad for an 8-day stretch;

Introduced the now-standard practice of the podium champagne-spray (1967 LeMans);

Introduced the full-face helmet to Formula 1 (1968 GP of Germany); and

the First driver and one of only two (the other being Mario Andretti) to win in the four major racing categories: Formula One, Indy cars (USAC), Sports Cars and NASCAR Stock Cars.

20. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Late to connect this but since someone brought up the Cannonball Run....As every young man of that era the arrival of Road and Track and Car and Driver was a monthly event, and nothing created a fire in our imagination quite like the idea of the Cannonball Run, it was so perfectly right for the times, so perfectly anti Nader, so perfectly anti radar, anti speed limits. That year I had a Fiat Bianchina (500 cc) tiny light two seater, top speed maybe 60 on a good day. My buddy Ned Lawler and I planned to enter it in the race, knowing all the big iron guys at the start would howl. But at the start while they would head west, we would drive to Teterboro and there another friend Eddy Davis would have landed his DC 3 on which we would stuff the Fiat and fly it west to near the finish line. After a good night’s sleep and some spy work at the finish line gathering (where the phone in reports were) we would drive it across the line (freshly dirtied up of course) just a few minutes before whoever was front running. We knew we would be figured out soon enough but the stunt seemed too cool to our beer addled minds. We spent hours thinking through all the details, the lettering on the car etc. Three weeks before the race Eddie blew one of the 3s motors and our chance for infamy evaporated. Ah youth......

21. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    #21 StanT, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Here are links to results the Cannonball runs of the 70's.

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/cannonball/index.shtml?cball=entrantsCB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Baker_Sea-To-Shining-Sea_Memorial_Trophy_Dash

I guess I feel a little extra pride seeing that the overall best time was a Jaguar XJS in 1979, and I own one of them too, a 1994 V12 convertible. It's my 2nd XJS, having had a 1978 coupe from 1985 through 2002.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A co-worker of mine in 1975 at the POLARIS/POSEIDON/TRIDENT Program Office, Dan Rowzie, finished 5th that year in a 1973 porsche. He had a blast. The amazing thing is that Dan was such a low-keyed person I never would have imagined him doing this. The quote below is from the Car & Drive article that year, in its entirety below the quote.

"5/Leo Lynch, Sewickley, Pennsylvania; Dan Rowzie, Alexandria, Virginia; 1973 Porsche Targa; 38 hours, 39 minutes; average speed, 75.1 mph: This silver Targa, with its three-liter RSR engine, was easily the fastest car in the Cannonball. Leo claims to have run in excess of 160 mph with it on numerous occasions, although its speed was somewhat neutralized by three tickets and another trucker’s CB alert to the Smokeys that forced them into extended hiding in a HO JO’s restaurant in Pennsylvania. (Lesson learned on the Cannonball: Don’t hassle the truckers by passing them too briskly. They will fink to the cops—based on the logic that if the Smokeys are chasing somebody else, they can put the hammer down.) "

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/cannonball/index.shtml?cball=article1975

22. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Hmmm....Rosie Ruiz Cannonball Run style!

Not unlike Jim Wangers 'stock' Pontiac GTO he foisted on the Car and Driver guys in 1964...it just happened to have a 421 Super Duty in it, and ran 11.8 quarter miles. Wangers will have a lot of explaining to do come May 1st and 2nd....!

Michael, if you make it this year, I may call you forward on Saturday night to tell your story...

Bob

23. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Bob: Only if before the meal, I fear I otherwise the story would cause the audience to lob their dinner rolls and more at me! By the way if you need another Vintage Ferrari for the event, will happily bring one of mine, else I will join the Admiral's Mondial crew, M

24. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Okay, you're on. I PM'd you....

25. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    #25 bighitter2, Feb 9, 2010
    Don, you kept the 365GTC that's great...i have seen your Daytona for sale on the web..i will be there with my Daytona (weather permitting) pics enclosed are from the 2004 International Ferrari Meet at 'the Quail' in Carmel Valley Ca..as you can see i would rather NOT drive in the rain...Chuck