Ferrari's in Africa | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari's in Africa

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Sep 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Its quite a private collection, though various cars from the collection do go to shows from time to time.

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Quite the collection.
    Thanks for the pix.

3. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Hi Jacques

We went to that collection with SEFAC in 2007 on the Cape Tour - my favourite non Ferrari there had to be the Bentley Blower - I hope it is still there.

By the way was that Greg's 550 Barchetta down from Jhb? I wouldn't have thought there were too many knocking around SA in that colour - although I seem to remember one for sale in CT recently - was it at Crossley and Webb maybe?

Dave

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Hi Dave.

The Bentley is still indeed in the collection, stunning car and looking at it, those who drove those fast in the era needed to be very brave!

The 550B belongs to a friend of mine, its a virtual twin of Greg's car, though Greg's car has a black interior. This one was from the estate of a late well known Ferrari enthusiast who had an F50 among other cars, this 550B is 448/448 so is quite special.

fabrica tabacos likes this.
  5. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Very special indeed. For an 'impractical' soft-top I cant believe the prices these are commanding in the UK over the standard 550/575, especially in a country where you really need proper wet weather gear. Just shows the price premium of a limited run.

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    #84 Ferrari 360 CS, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    The soft top is quite a joke in the extreme, attempted to put it up once and 45 min later the roof was on, I'd imagine standing in the rain for 45 min would leave one rather wet and chances are by the time the roof was up the rain would have likely stopped!

Its a special car on the Cape coastal roads.

7. Lyle

Lyle Rookie

Sep 27, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Lyle Julius
    #85 Lyle, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Best use for the 550B tent is to take it of the car the day you buy it, throw it in the corner of your garage and never, ever use it. Perhaps store it better for when you intend to sell, though.

It is the worst excuse for a roof, rain coverage or whatever they want to call it. I love the simplicity of the Veyron roof, or the CGT panels.

9. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
  10. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I had the opportunity visit that collection this past Spring while on holiday.

Cars were inside the barns the day we were there but what an amaze collection...and visual setting!

11. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Wonderful Jacques. Thanks for sharing.

12. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Hi Jacques

I see they have FINALLY taken the 'Taurino Racing' sticker off the back of the 288GTO - which was stuck there after Andrea Taurino (who is a sponsor here on FChat) restored that car in about 2005 or so. It went on to win the overall prize at that year's SEFAC Concourse.

Jan tells me that outing was rated by members as one of the best events ever organized by the Cape Club. Excellent to hear!

Dave

13. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I'm in Djibouti right now. Would love to see a pic of an F-car around the horn somewhere, but something tells me that is unlikely. There's gotta be at least a couple in Djibouti though.

14. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm in DJ right now too and I highly doubt there's an Fcar around here. Nowhere in DJ, Somalia, or Yemen have I seen anywhere like the beautiful scenes in SA. Thank you for taking the time to post so many brilliant pics.

15. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    #94 davebuchner, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
  17. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    3 x 550 Maranello's and a 550 Barchetta - not a bad turnout of 550's

18. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    that light blue 550 Barchetta is stunning!

19. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Incredibly nice to see , thanks :)

20. ferrari1077

ferrari1077 Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Very nice seeing so many beautiful vehicles in Africa. Cape Town is my favourite place in the world to visit and I'll likely immigrate there in the next 5-10 years. Such a beautiful country South Africa is.

I highly doubt there are any in Djibouti. You'll see high end cars in various North African countries (Egypt, Tunisia, Etc.), South Africa, Nigeria, Zimbabwe and possibly Kenya and Botswana. There are also likely a few in Angola and Namibia, but don't forget that most of Africa is very poor and even though some people have money there isn't necessarily the infrastructure or roads that make owning an expensive sports car in. In some countries you'd be better off with a Range Rover than an F-Car.