"Ferrari UFI" Air box stencil available | FerrariChat

"Ferrari UFI" Air box stencil available

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Dec 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #1 Alden, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a reminder that I have a professionally made stencil set for doing the "Ferrari s.p.a" and "UFI" white lettering on our airboxes that I purchased on Ebay.

The stencil is in two parts, necessary to get the small print items that have closed loops properly done.

The process is really quite simple, if you take your time and follow the steps carefully.

I thought mine turned out fantastic and much cheaper than the $200+ that is being charged to re-letter your air box. I still need to blow a coat of flat clear sealer on the top of the box to finish the job.

Since my 3.2 is an '88, I only used the "Ferrari s.p.a." portion of the stencil, the "UFI" portion is new and unused.

I will clean all paint residue off the used part and ship the stencils to anyone who needs them.

The deal is that you have to keep it in good condition and either ship to another member or return it to me in clean and reusable condition when you are finished.

PM me your address and post here that you have them so we know where they went.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Quite a nice offer; thanks! I will take you up on this soon.
    Gotta love F'Chat; people helping total strangers because of a common interest.
    Happy New Year!

3. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Am interested, thanks - will pm. mine's an 87 3.2; Is your paint flat white? Anyone know if I need the "UFI"? Thanks,

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #4 Alden, Dec 31, 2016
    Flat white.

Not sure if yours had the UFI stuff on it or not.

Here are the tricks:

Paint the top with a good low luster black paint, let dry for a few days.

Trim the stencils as close as you can, still leaving enough left to tape down the edges.

Get some 3M Type 77 adhesive spray and, following the instructions, glue the first stencil to the airbox. Proper alignment is up to you, lots of data here about specific dimensions so I am not going to post that.

Mask the rest of the box with painters tape and paper so no overspray gets on it.

NOW THE TRICK:
    Spray a coat of the same low luster black paint thru the stencil to seal it to the airbox. This will lessen the chance of bleed thru on the edges. Let dry.

Spray 3-4 LIGHT coats of flat white until you are convinced the stencil is looking good. Let them dry between coats. And let the first stencil paint dry for a while before you remove it.

Remove the first stencil and apply the second, carefully aligning it and glueing it down too. You have to get the alignment perfect or it will not fill the letters properly. Do not spray the black paint on the second stencil, you will just have to make sure the edges are securely glued down.

Repeat white spray with the second stencil, let dry, remove and clean up glue residue carefully with an appropriate solvent, I think I used acetone (nail polish remover) with a Q- Tip, "Ear Buds" for you EU folks.

You can touch up small areas with a black sharpie or paint pen and a fine point white correction pen, the kind we used to use when we typed, on typewriters, in the old days, by candlelight. You can also use very fine micro paint brushes, if you have them.

I changed the dot on the "i" in Ferrari from an oval to the correct rectangle with a sharpie after the job was done.

If you screw up or are not happy with the results, spray the cover black and try again.

Clean the residue from the stencil before you make another attempt.

Spray a couple of light coats of flat clear sealer on the airbox top to finish the job. You can see some irregular areas around the lettering in the pic below, the clear sealer will blend that in so you cannot see it.

Do something nice for the Wife or SO with the $200+ you saved!

Clean the residue from the stencil and send it on to the next user!

Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Stencils are going out to Faber in Monday's mail.

Good luck!
    Alden

6. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thank you!

7. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Received - Thanks again!

8. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi Alden ,

How I wish I can borrow it as well but Im from overseas( The Philippines) . Anyway the good news is I will be receiving the Wiper Relay I ordered from you on the 16th of this month. My sister is bringing it to me when she comes home for a visit .

Best regards ,

Audio research

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I am sure it can be shipped to the Phillipines, it fits in a flat envelope.

Glad you are finally getting your relay!

I have some electric door lock actuator sets coming up soon, great value, the same deal as the SIPEA relays: Same manufacturer, identical specs down to the color of the wires and connector, 1/2 the price of the Ferrari parts.
    Alden

10. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi Alden,
    I have been wondering for a while how I can refurbish my 1985 3.2 airbox so your offer to lend out the stencil would be particularly helpful. I'm in no great hurry but if the offer is still available I would very much like to be on your list. Alternatively, perhaps you could let me know the ebay reference from which you purchased the stencil.
    Tim

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The UFI portion was used on top up to about July 88. After that the UFI portion is on the rear vertical surface.

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Everyone-
    When the current user is done he should send it to the next person on the post list or to me.

Whoever wants it should PM whoever has it and ask for it to be sent to you, also, when you request it and get it post in the thread that you have it and then pots again when you send it on and to whom.

If no one wants it, send it back to me.

And if someone destroys it, they are going to have to replace it. Just be careful with the chemicals you use to clean it, we don't want to melt it with something.

Well cared for, this stencil should last a lot of uses.

The Ebay listing comes and goes and is not up at the moment. IIRC, it was about $27 including shipping.

Brian, thanks for the info on the UFI portion!
    Alden

13. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA

Hi Alden ,

Received the relays and installed them the wiper works ! Its much faster, than the old one and now that the wipers are working the intermittent function is likewise working as well. In the past I was afraid to use the car when its caught in the rain because the wipers dont work .

Thanks Alden ,

audio research

14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Please post that info in my "for sale" ad for the relay sets or a separate thread here so folks know what this can do for their car.

New fuses and relays really make the car come alive, it is hard to believe the difference it makes!
    Alden

15. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Update - Ok...Stencil looked great but clearcoat "melted" the paint soI 'm changing paints & will redo - Thanks to Brian for the UFI info - will add that this time and will try to expedite for next guy. Thanks again,

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Please identify the offending clear coat so no one else makes the same mistake!
    Alden

17. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #17 Faber, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    The offending bstard was Duplicolor Clear coat but I stenciled a general purpose flat white....re-painted again over Rust-oleum flat white and will employ Rust-oleum Clear Durable Topcoat (dead flat). I enjoy the experiments...(-*

18. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #18 Faber, Feb 2, 2017
  19. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim

Alden's airbox stencil is now available for the next FChat member - see Alden's original post.
    The deal is that after use you either ship to another member or return it to Alden in clean and reusable condition.
    PM me your address and I will forward the stencil on to you.

20. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Bump up to top as requested Alden :)