Ferrari Testarossa Icona | FerrariChat

Ferrari Testarossa Icona

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 444sp, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    jumpinjohn likes this.
  2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I wonder how losing the Testarossa trademark in Germany could affect that. I wonder if they would go with a different name... If they were to make a mid engine V12. But the question is, do we really want it? Many of us would say it's not a true testarossa unless it has a flat/180 degree 12 cylinder. So I would love to see it, but feel that the name alone may not work for this car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Will this drive prices up on existing TRs, down, or no change (a'la Ford GT)?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think there’s little chance that it will be a flat 12 and thats ok with me. A few angered purists wont affect ferrari’s buying market.

If this is true, I cant wait.

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I hope this is all nonsense. Firstly which Testarossa will this supposed and speculated Icona be modeled after the 250 TR or the 84 Miami Vice TR? Both would be disastrously disappointing.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the true TR`s had a V12 with 3 ltr and also also a 4 cyl ( 500 TR )

but a middle flat 12 with gearbox behind and not below the engine would makes sense because of a very low focus. and to get the car not too long put this all transverse and not longitudinal - only my idea ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Since we know the turbocharged flat twelve will achieve 1000 it would be neat but technology marches on and it will be something totally different I bet.

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Amazing that they still have not made a rear engine 12 since the TR. Whatever it is it won't be as good for the obvious reason. It won't be a manual :)

The 550 maranello was a brilliant car but is no fun and feels like a CL Mercedes. The 599 is raw, fast, loud, and fun, but is an ugly duck IMO. The new one looks pretty good overall. The back end is a little meh.

I really think there is an opening for one of these companies to make a splash by offering a manual, mainly lamborghini. If they came out with a limited production car that only came in manual, it would be a great middle finger to Ferrari/the establishment Ferrucio style. And it would be a great marketing excercise to see how many buyers they could line up. One of the two companies should roll the dice and give it a go.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Lamborghini has already said that it cannot create a manual transmission for their cars because the technology has lagged too far behind and would cost too much to bring up to speed.

And honestly- for what benefit? If you drive cars with newer generations of auto manuals, or even the latest torque converters in cars like the M5 and RS7, you realize they are better technology. Period. Being sad over lost manuals is not worth it. There are plenty of older cars you can drive with a manual and adding one to a newer car would lesson the experience, not improve it. True.

11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    They can, they just have no desire to. Their latest made 6 speed was very nice as was Ferrari's. Imagine lastest technology, 512TR with power steering and a six speed manual. That's all that car needed. Ford's new GT500 has a dual clutch manual with paddles only and for that reason, I will not order one. Stick manuals are real sports cars. Paddle shifting is for the birds.

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The buyer’s market and people who race “real sports cars” say otherwise.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think they should do like the stinger for the 911

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Those aren't sports cars, they are race cars that want instant shifting like an automatic but not a heavy transmission. The buyers market is paying almost double normal asking prices for real stick cars already on the ground vs paddle shift cars.

15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Exactly. There is a strong demand for manual transmissions. Is it strong enough? They could do some market research and find out. Or release a limited car and find out. Either way, I don't think either company would have much to lose.

turbo-joe and MOSS like this.
  16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They've already done the research. I’m amazed at how often people assume an OEM is dumb. They don’t make all the money they do because they havent thought of this and done their research.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/lamborghini-won-t-offer-the-aventador-or-huracan-with-a-manual-transmission-because-it-s-too-expensive-ar185024.html

The market has already spoken. Just because the secondary market is attracted to manuals doesnt mean that new customers care and thats what drives profitability for an OEM. There are probably a variety of reasons why the secondary market enjoys manuals but one is because they arent being made anymore so value over time could speculativity be better. But for all we know the F1 tranny 355s will be the desirable ones 30yrs from now because once the millennials grow up and collect nice things, they wont be able to drive a manual.

Manual trannies are dead. Are they cool? Yes. Are they nostalgic? Yes. Are they pure? Absolutely. But every year that goes buy seals their fate further and further as the cost to bring one back would be outrageous; and for what, near 0% of potential buyers? Survey says XXX.

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Respectfully disagree. I don't think they've looked into it at all. most people reach higher income levels as they grow older (myself included) and there will be a point in which I can afford a new F car. And I'll still NEVER BUY ONE. No manual transmission offered, NO DEAL. I don't care how good your car is or how pretty is. A ferrari that isn't a manual isn't a ferrari in my eyes.

18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Brad is right, they never did the research. I sold all my paddle shift Lamborghini's and Ferrari's and will never own another F1 car. Its just an automatic, Prius has that for you.

willrace and JohnMH like this.
  19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #19 MOSS, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Regardless of what you read, this country, cars and times are not getting better. This country has already seen the best it will ever see and the wheels are coming off of it right now. For a younger generation that did not get to enjoy the best of times they have no way of gauging what is really good or not in comparison except that if you are happy today with what is offered then that is what counts. There is simply no reference to compare today to for a younger group. Automatic shifting sports cars, while faster do not represent the icon very well at all. If you disagree then again, you just don't have the knowledge that comes from living in the past best of times in my opinion and the intent of the manufacture. To each their own and frankly I'm sorry you missed it. Real 3 pedal sports cars bring a lot more money because they represent the better of times when you actually "drove" the car. It requires a lot less horsepower to run the transmissions and a lot lighter. Later technology does not necessarily mean better and I think it has actually hurt much more than it has helped. Coming to a stoplight and having the engine die which all manufactures are going to is simply ignorant and benefits no one but wearing the starter out and being an annoyance. That is some of the later technology stupidity I am referring to.

20. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Moss and Brad-

I respect your opinions and I’ll leave it at this because otherwise we could all go around in circles haha. I was born in ‘82 making me barely a millenial by date. But I did not get a cell phone until I was in college and a smart phone well after grad school which is a rather significant defining characteristic of that generation.

My father is into cars as am I. I grew up going to F1 races and other local events. My father owned BMWs- all manuals. Every car I owned in this order have been manuals: Toyota 4runner, Nissan Frontier, BMW e36 M3, BMW e39 M5, BMW F10 M5. After the F10 M5 I purchased a 2016 Audi RS7 Performance (605hp). The RS7 was my first auto ever because they only came with torque converter style 8sp gearboxes. It was amazing. I sold the RS7 for my Testarossa and now daily drive a Ford F150 (auto, obviously)

The new M5 has the same type of gearbox. Its amazing. Read up on them, its not worth blindly dismissing technology without researching it and driving it. Trust me.

All my manuals were great fun. The F10 M5 had the most modern manual technology that has been made prior to them being dropped. Auto rev matching downshifts for you (you could turn this off), crisp lever feel and smooth clutch engagement. But it was very difficult to drive such a big car smoothly, especially at the limit. In truth, I knew that BMW’s DCT (dual clutch sequential) option would have been the better match for the car. If you have never driven cars like this then I just have to suggest that you should.

I grew up when Ferrari introduced their F1 box. It sucks. I almost bought a 612 but RAN away from the experience because of the F1 box. My best friends have a 458 and Mclaren 720s. They are both incredible. These guys have also owned, and I’ve driven, Aston Martin V12 Vantage (manual), 458 Speciale (dual clutch sequential), Aston Martin V12 Vantage S (torque converter and terrible). Wife drives an M4 with DCT, that one could be more fun with a manual but the DCT is pretty damn slick and fully manual, just no clutch.

Some auto trannies are great, some are not. As you drive more of them you learn about the tech and what to look for.

The point is I do know what I’m talking about. I’m not going to question your experience of having driven new cars with various different automatic or auto-manual transmission technologies. But, I will strongly urge you to drive them before broadly declaring that the automotive world has ended and only your life experience defines the golden age. That just strikes me as unfortunate for you, because there are some breath takingly amazing cars out there.

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I bought a brand new Huracan in 2017 and had seat time in most 18 and 19 Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I have not missed a thing and that is why I speak from current experience and past. 82 is the height of the best of times. Why did you buy a TR? You are a nice guy and I am not meaning to belittle you are attempt to because of your age or at all. Paddle shifting, even the latest is like driving a play station around, takes no skill and removes what I call a very important part of the meaning of sports car.

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I hear ya xplodee. The only thing is we are talking past each other not disagreeing. These new paddle shift transmissions very well be amazing, lighting fast, etc. That's not the issue. The issue is we just don't care. I'm not trying to win 24 hours at lemans, I'm just trying to have fun, and fun to me is having as much control and feedback through the car as possible. If I want a car that shifts for me I'll buy a honda. Is what it is.

willrace, vincenzo, VColin and 3 others like this.
  23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ferrari need another Barchetta. Dirt simple, small front engine v-12, manual...

DIRT SIMPLE

It will never happen.

Same for a flat 12, mid-engine Testarossa.... it will never happen.

24. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

It's a stupid course of action. All they have to do is offer one car in their line up in manual. ONE. I don't see how this would translate into a substantial loss. If somebody wants to explain how offering one car in a stick is such a drain on their finances explain away. Offering it as a special option on all cars? I can see how that would be an issue, but not when developing a car from the ground up.

And there is a population of buyers that will not buy paddle. It may be small but both companies are losing customers due to the "no manual" modern era.

turbo-joe and MOSS like this.
  25. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe