Ferrari Tdfprototype 0425GT: what was it bought for at the trailer park? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Tdfprototype 0425GT: what was it bought for at the trailer park?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bitzman, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I realize there are discussions back as far as 2008 on this car but I read all the forum postings I could find and though it's a great story about finding a Ferrari prototype in a trailer park under a tarp , I am still curious to know what Walt McCune (ex-LAPD detective by the way) bought the car for? And was Chet Bolin, a previous owner of the car to that trailer park resident, a famous musician? There is some musician on Google by that name. He couldn't have been the guy in the trailer park (I like to think that, pre-Napster, all West Coast musicians live in the Hollywood Hills or Malibu). When I had the marry-me-fly-free connection, Ed one time asked me, if I went up to Oregon, to look for a Ferrari in a trailer park, that must have been another Ferrari. I didn't go, probably much to my regret if I ever find out what that car was.

The only time I saw a valuable car in a trailer park was a Corniche convertible out in Rosamond.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ed Niles sold 0425 GT in 1961 to Chester & Phyllis Bolin of Murietta, CA. Bolin repainted it red. In 1986 Bolin sold the car back to Niles who paid $ 100'000. Niles then re-sold 0425 GT to McCune who paid $ 145'000.

Marcel Massini

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I guess Chet Bolin of Murrieta wasn't the rock star.
    The only interesting thing besides it being a million dollar car now
    is that it was found in a trailer park. I am surprised the prices being paid for it were so high already in the '80s, though it seems like Ferrari price rises began around 1970 through a lot of promotion of old Ferraris in Road & Track, the founding of CAVALLINO, the FML posting prices often and the rise of the old car auctions, first Barrett Jackson but then later on ones focused more on sports cars.

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I didn't realize that I sold it to Chet either! I don't think I did, although I'm reluctant to call Marcel on it. He has my old files, after all. I remember when Jess Haines brought it over from Italy; it was that light, bright silver that PF used so often on speciales, and I think it was original. That's the way Walt restored it, although he insisted on using leather instead of the original plastic. Don't know why it's darker now. Very interesting and beautiful car.