Ferrari Scud Driver Flees scene after crash | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Scud Driver Flees scene after crash

Discussion in '360/430' started by Art138, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting video!

I do remember many many years ago in "Drivers Ed" that driving on a public road is a privilege not a right. And to enjoy this privilege we must obey the laws set forth.

If who ever it is was driving; was involved in this accident hopped out and bailed then he is disobeying the law! (Obviously)

He could have easily stuck around and waited for first responders to arrive, rendered aid if he was capable. The fact is he did not.

He could have easily chosen to invoke his right to remain silent at any time he would have been questioned by FHP or by medics.

The fact that the driver fled IMO leads me to believe he/she was drunk high or both. Hit and runs are becoming way to common these days. If the Scud was not as badly damaged and drivable do you think the driver would have driven away leaving no evidence?

Not speaking to the police is fine, we have that right, to flee the seen of any accident fatal or just a fender bender is illegal.

These are just my thoughts on the subject.

It's sad for both parties involved.

Everyone drive safely!

2. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    #52 RDI, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    Amen brother, I think people need to chill out before jumping the gun. All we can confirm is a tragic event, I think before people start calling others cowards etc. everyone should take it easy until more information is out.

I find it curious if it's an open shut case why haven't the police filed a charge. Again lets all hope for the best outcome. The member f430gt was a good contributor to this site, I hope all is ok.

As for calling him a bad person for past driving a ferrari 100mph in a 65 zone, give me a break I am almost positive everyone on this site has done that, you can drive 65 in a 65 and still get in a accident and possibly kill someone.

While speeding on public roads is not ideal I think we are all guilt of doing it.

Anyway you look at this pretty sad situation. It's never fun to hear of any F-chat brother having a crash regardless of outcome.

3. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
  4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You're absolutely right, but a series of events definitely does:

1. You hit another car at a high rate of speed (be it intentionally or unintentionally)

2. You don't bother getting out to see if anyone else is hurt

3. You don't even call 911

3. You realize you killed a person

4. You ran away from the scene of the accident/homicide

I see at least a few pivotal events above that could well define what kind of a person you are.

5. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    #55 Knightrider, Aug 14, 2013
    Either way, the Ferrari driver shouldn't have fled, period. This disgusts me and no matter what, it will look bad and turn out bad for him no matter what now. I will say this- people do really stupid things when confronted with life-changing events that occur so quickly and tragically. Not justifying it in any way, but I'd bet there's a study somewhere that shows selfish attempts at self-preservation will prevail over doing the right thing on many occasions to many people (unfortunately).

What I am curious about is if the Hyundai merged into the second lane from the on-ramp, and how fast the cars were going. Everyone has vilified the Ferrari owner for fleeing, but this accident may not be totally his fault. If he (the Ferrari) was travelling at a "speeding" speed, but not overly excessive, say 90mph, and someone came into his lane (the center lane) at a slow/merging speed from an on-ramp because the driver didn't look, the Hyundai driver could be just as culpable or more culpable than the Ferrari driver. We don't know these facts at all. What we do know tends to make us think the Scud driver was drunk, irresponsible, and totally at fault- otherwise why take off and not try and see if you can help someone?

And I'm not sure how this thread turned into "don't trust the cops", etc., have we really gotten to that out of this whole tragedy?

6. Greygt3

Greygt3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2013
    Houston Tx.
    Ok I have to say something, I've heard enough. Were any of you there? Did anyone witness this accident first had? No of course not. I've had conversations with this individual over the years. I'm not a personal friend but he has always been helpful to me and many others here on F chat as well as Rennlist. He has forgotten more than most of you will ever know. He took the time out of his day to help people he didn't even know. He has been doing this for YEARS.

I don't know what happened in this horrific accident. I do know with time all questions will be answered. How about we let the legal system do what it does best and wait for the facts to emerge. What happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?

You guys have no problem flushing all his good deeds down the drain. I would think that at this point in yours lives you would give this person the benefit of the doubt.

It appears very ugly no doubt, but as we all know the so called truth sometimes can get skewed depending on the source.

7. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    This

8. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Being involved in a fatal accident and looking out for A-#1 without trying to render aid and potentially save another life will do that to someone's reputation, don't you think?

Of course our opinions here are the least of his worries at this point.

9. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Highly unlikely but maybe driver left the scene to find help? I recall a Ucla football player being involved in an accident and he was not at the scene of the accident. Later it was concluded he left the scene to find help. Personally I found that hard to believe.

10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Riiigggghhhtttt... wandered around for a couple of days - even hired a lawyer
    and took the fifth... but damnit never found a single person to help at the scene.

Ridiculous statement - yes - HIGHLY unlikely to the point of SILLY TO SAY.

Jedi

11. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    we dont know if the driver is really the owner. We just know who the owner is.
    we don't even know which vehicle is at fault. For all we know it could be the Hyundai.
    what we do know are

1. a person is dead due to MVA
    2. the Ferrari driver left the scene
    3. the owner lawyered up. Without more info, we think of the most likely reason (could be proven wrong later when more facts come out)

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    your traveling triple digits on a public hwy.............. i think there is no question.

13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I haven't read the thread very carefully. triple digit speed? do we know that this a fact?
    even if it is, was the speed the cause of the accident? One can get into an MVA at 100+mph yet the main cause of accident be the other vehicle.

yes, driving 100mph on a crowded hwy is completely irresponsible but was it the cause of the accident?

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    This thread sounds like it is being contributed to by a bunch of old gossiping women.

Unless you were there, you have no idea what happened or who was driving the Ferrari, and made what appears on the surface to be some horrible choices. As tragic as this is, if it wasn't involving a Ferrari, it would not have been news for more than a nanosecond. Thank God it wasn't a white driver in the Ferrari that hit a black person in the other car, otherwise we would have Jackson, Sharpton, Holder and Obama shooting their uninformed mouths off as well.

The owner of this car has touched allot of people here in a positive way and yet many are more than willing to throw him under the bus without knowing ALL the facts.

I don't know this guy, and couldn't pick him out of a crowd of one, but as a track guy and an HPDE instructor, I don't drive impaired. I also don't know any that drive impaired or are anything but safe on the road. Sometimes a bit quick, but always safe. I believe this guy is in that club.

There is a reason accidents are called...... accidents. I know I will reserve judgement until all the facts are in. Fortunately, we live in a place that says we are innocent until proven guilty. I thank our Founders for that, and I think we owe it to this person, as well as any other. I know I would want it for me.

15. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    #65 since-15, Aug 14, 2013
    Ridiculous.

You open with: "Unless you were there, you have no idea what happened or who was driving the Ferrari, and made what appears on the surface to be some horrible choices. As tragic as this is, if it wasn't involving a Ferrari, it would not have been news for more than a nanosecond. Thank God it wasn't a white driver in the Ferrari that hit a black person in the other car, otherwise we would have Jackson, Sharpton, Holder and Obama shooting their uninformed mouths off as well."

What does bringing-up race have to do with the FACT that this is a hit and run (even if it were Michael Schumacher or the STIG driving or owning the Scud) that resulted in death and injury? Absolutely NOTHING. Your doing exactly what you're complaining about. You're throwing in your hatred or prejudice for some people (specifically the people you mentioned) to make an fatuous point. So, if you want to politicize a tragedy (or worse, invoke race for no significant reason other than to vent your frustration) maybe you should save your rant for the Politics and Religion forum. The guy that died was gay. Why not rant about the LGBT while your at it? What, you thought the survivor meant they were "business" partners?

It would be just as ridiculous if I stated: Thank GOD it wasn't a Black rapper that did the hit and run that killed a white woman because the cops would shoot first and ask questions later. This is no place for that nonsensical sentiment.

16. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Very well said!

17. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Ahh yes, "The Deitrich Defense"...

18. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Because if the police determine that he loaned the car to someone who should not have been driving, he will be held responsible. And he isn't afraid to talk to police, he has already made contact through counsel. He isn't hiding, and when it is appropriate, I'm sure an arrest will be made.

The police know who owns the car, and they have been in contact. I think we can all rest assure that, with the evidence they have from the airbag, the driver at the time of the accident will be determined and they will be held accountable.

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #69 Ingenere, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    I knew some genius would selectively edit and miss the point of people shooting their mouths off and rushing to judgement, and key in on that. Well done, thanks for taking the bait. What does bringing those guys into it have to do with it? Nothing. But many here seem to be convicting someone of something that we know very little about and have rushed to judgement... not unlike the people I mentioned who are multiple offenders. It was also a tongue-in-cheek comment.

The point is, we don't know. We weren't there. We aren't investigating it, and nobody cares what the 'partners' were up to..... as long as it wasn't distracting their driving that night, and we are not investigating that either. It's up to the professionals to figure out the truth. Everything else is just a bunch of old biddies speculating, and in this case... throwing someone that many here have had good experiences with, under the bus.

If the owner doesn't want to talk to the police, that is his right. It's called the 5th Amendment.

20. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    #70 since-15, Aug 15, 2013
    Do you read and comprehend well or are you so myopic or are you practicing to be a shock jock? I never disagreed with you with regard to rushing to judgment. As a matter of fact, I understand completely. I just take exception to your pedantic rant, that was NOT selectively edited nor missing the point as a "tongue and cheek comment" (albeit juvenile), which you designed to humiliate those you in turn judge. It is obvious that your superior intellect is somewhat deficient in realizing that if you must resort to such immature or irrelevant behavior or analogies to make a point, you're no better than those you choose to chastise or deride.

We ALL certainly rush to judgement, depending on what topic we are passionate about. It is a common human trait. I am thankful for the US legal system. It is not perfect but it is better than most in this world. It is no crime to give an opinion or judgement without many (or any facts for that matter) in a public forum, for no one here is trying the case. It's conversation, speculation, and harmless. If you don't like it because it is someone you know or generally like, get over it or get the facts and present them while you're on your self- righteous pedestal.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Rush to judgement?

Give us one good reason why anyone should hit and run from a lethal car crash.

Then explain to us why this missing owner of the car has removed his profile here and taken down youtube clips but can't seem to find the time to talk to the police who were looking for him.

These are things we DO know.

Please.... we want to hear this one. Please tell us how this is a rush to judgement.

That's no rush to judgement. That's suspicious behavior. That's bad behavior -- and calling it out as bad behavior is the right thing to do.

Sure, he'll have his day in court. That's for the legal system to take care of.

But we are car enthusiasts and we know good behavior from bad behavior. Calling out bad behavior involved in a fatal hit in run is the right thing to do.

You would think this would be one thing we all would agree with.

I would like to think if someone crashed into me they would get out of their car and try to help me live another day. They would call for help. They would tell authorities and call 911.
    They would feel horrible for the accident they were involved in and try to make a bad situation better for those hurt and injured.

Apparently, the driver of this car isn't one of those people.

22. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Well said!

23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #73 freshmeat, Aug 15, 2013
    Mr Mickey Mouse hands imposing his bountiful words of wisdom again, oh my. I should post up those vids again.

24. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR

Excellent posting.... and this one line says it all "Give us one good reason why anyone should hit and run from a lethal car crash" ... Period-end-of-story! No rights here, no advice from a lawyer needed, you just flat-out do not have the right on this planet to leave the incident, especially when lives have been lost.

25. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Question for you sir: would your opinion on this issue change if it was your child or your close family member or loved one that was killed in the accident?

To flee the scene of an accident when the driver could have potentially helped the injured and dying is beyond reprehensible. PERIOD. The least the moron could have done is call 911.