Ferrari Scud Driver Flees scene after crash | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Scud Driver Flees scene after crash

Discussion in '360/430' started by Art138, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  3. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    But not as bad as it would be adding say... DUI.

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Running home crying while leaving a man to die from your negligence is one of the most cowardly acts one can commit.

BTW, the user name has been outed on the thread in the Florida section

5. datax

datax Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    VA (Washington DC)
    Full Name:
    Ken T
    This is quite a shockingly sad news. I bought GT3 rims from him (FerrariChat user and owner of the car) back in 2007 in person and he's a pretty nice guy. We still talk every once in awhile on RennList as well as on here regarding about technical car stuff. As someone already mentioned, he's well respected by many on and offline. This has got something to do with drug or alcohol related. Or, he may not even the one who was driving it. Condolences to family of the other car.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The press feasts on such events, and when it is a Ferrari driver, we all get slapped by it and possibly get qualified as complete jerks, which is barely an adequate epithet to appoint to this cowardly fellow.

If he had been driving a clunker with equal results, the furor would be the same but with a different overtone. Days ago, a radio talk show host was incensed by a Porsche driver that had parked quite illegally in a handicapped spot, and went on berating ALL Porsche drivers
    as being a bunch of so and so's...

In the end, all "exotic" and special car owners suffer due to these situations. How unfortunate...

Regards, Alberto

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Maybe -- but it doesn't matter. He gives all high performance car owners a horrible name.

He's been caught speeding before over 100 MPH on city streets.

His car was in a fatal accident and he ran away instead of going for help.

Sorry, no sympathy.

We all know the risks of driving these kinds of things in the public mind. Instead of being a man and standing up for what happened, this person is hiding from the law and trying to cover the evidence.

The word coward seems to apply pretty well.

8. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Doing the math on this they were both on the highway, correct? So that means the Hyundai wasn't sitting still and had to be going 60+. Scud has nothing in front to do much damage with and hit a car from behind so hard to kill a man. So I'm guessing he must have been doing 120-130??

Sheesh, this is not going to end well for him I'm afraid. Scary.

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Good!

Regards, Alberto

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    There was another fatal hit-and-run involving a Nissan GTR a week or so ago here in California. Driver fled the scene after running over an old guy on his bike crossing the pedestrian walk at a stoplight.

Same level of scum regardless of type of car in imho. No decent human being just leaves a person to die on the street.

One's true character is seen during times of adversity, the driver behind the wheel in both instances showed theirs.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    It's plausible that considering his experience that he loaned the car. They cannot prove intoxication at this point, but police say they have DNA from the airbag. So, what are the charges? Negligent homicide, fleeing the scene of an accident? Does Florida assume intoxication when someone flees?

12. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    For a person that was so helpful to all of us on the forums, I find it kind of sad that without facts so many people are assuming he is guilty, scum, coward, etc. The media's job is to paint the picture that gives the best ratings, not facts. In this case it's a careless rich race car driver with cherry picked pictures and videos to support it. Fact of the matter is we don't know what happened. Was he intoxicated, fall asleep, was a friend driving the car, did the other car cut him off, evading a deer, etc, etc. If you weren't there, you probably don't know.

Before bringing out the pitchforks, maybe wait for the facts first....

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    No one is accusing Rad per say, at least I'm not. I'm stating the person behind the wheel that night is pond scum, regardless of the course of unlikely series of events you have so eloquently put forth.

No decent human being would just run off and leave a person to die on the street period. If you cannot acknowledge that then God help you.

14. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    If the owner is not the driver and assuming he loaned his car to someone, why would he be afraid to talk to the police???

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    why would he speak to the police ?

16. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    ...to clear himself!!! or he wants to cover up for the person he loaned the car to?
    According to the police, the attorney is representing the owner of the car and another person who they did not identify.

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    An innocent man doesn't hide in the shadows like this....so yes, it makes for a logical assumption.

18. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Perhaps it is a logical assumption or perhaps it's not. I wasn't there and I don't know the situation so instead of jumping to conclusions I'd rather wait to hear the facts before accusing.

19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    this video is for you......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

20. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Lots of speculation and fast judgement. Please let due process discover and communicate the facts of the situation. Lots of people here are being the judge and jury.

Lets separate the Facts from the Theory

Facts:
    1. There was an accident.
    2. Someone died in the accident.
    3. A fellow FChatters vehicle was involved.
    4. It has not been proven that the Fellow FChatter was driving, at the scene, or involved other than it was his vehicle that was involved.
    5. There was no driver of the Ferrari at the scene when the authorities arrived.
    6. The owner of the Ferrari has contacted the police and has offered to communicate through a lawyer.
    7. If this had been a toyota, it would be just as serious, but nobody outside of the FHP and immediate people involved would know about the accident.
    8. Only one air bag deployed. (see video A)
    9. Damage to ferrari was primarily to the front passenger side and passenger door, rear left qtr.
    10. Accidents happen every day.

Theory:
    1. The accident was most likely unintended
    2. The driver left the scene for a reason;
    .a. Avoid or postpone Incarceration
    .b. Avoid or postpone Blood testing
    .c. To have Injuries treated
    3. One or more drivers involved in the accident could have been under the influence of alcohol, mediation, or drugs;
    .a. Driver of Ferrari
    .b. Driver of Hyundai Sonata
    .c. Driver of White Saturn
    .d. Some or All of the above
    4. Any one of the drivers could have caused the accident. In many cases it is multiple events that lead to an accident and all might be somewhat to blame. When there are multiple contributors to an accident, usually one stands out in percentage contributing.
    5. There may have been a fourth, fifth vehicle that caused or contributed to the accident.
    6. There could have been a foreign object on the motorway
    7. There could have been an equipment malfunction.
    .a. Brake failure
    .b. Unintended acceleration.
    .c. Brake lights out in Hyundai
    8. This could have been a middle lane boxed issue when a driver in middle lane traveling at speeds significantly slower than fast lane and slow lane. Happens all of the time. Because the Hyundai hit a Saturn before leaving the roadway is another data point that could support the boxed theory. If you get spun going 60-70mph and lose control and leave the roadway, and happen to strike another vehicle on the way out, its likely that the third vehicle was very close to the vehicle that lost control. See an unrelated, but similar situation in VideoB. This situation can and does happen when all vehicles are traveling below the posted speed limit. It happens when people slow down for rain or fog very frequently.

General Thoughts:
    0. Wear your seat belts! A rear end collision and rollover should not end your life while occupying a modern car. I am not saying there are facts released on this specific accident, but statistically it is an undisputed fact.
    1. Accidents can be terrible. While playing I accidentally hurt my kids sometimes and it is a horrible feeling. I have been at fault in a vehicular accident and it is a horrible feeling.
    2. Most people typing condemning posts have driven above the posted speed limit, likely recently. If while they were exceeding the speed limit an accident happened, does that make them scum or just unfortunate. In the eyes of the law it is bad.
    3. Someone even brought up God; really. God forgives everyone (based on some best selling book), and likely does not care about the time it takes to travel said distance.
    4. The last three of my vehicular accidents (Porsche, Ferrari, Porsche) were VERY drunk drivers, one could not stand. Two of the three were hit and run. Both Porsches totaled. One driver was caught within the hour and faced DUI. One was DUI on the spot and arrested. The last one managed to hide until she was sober the next day and was just charged with a minor infraction because nobody was hurt and maybe there was a plea because they did not have proof she was driving. Am I mad at these people. No. At the time I was upset, but never lost my temper. Had a family member been killed, I would have been very mad and want them put through the court system, but again it was an Accident.
    5. For the people saying the owner of the Ferrari "lawyered up"; wouldn't you hire an attorney in this situation? If not, you are either lying to yourself, ignorant, or worse. Dont go getting upset I called someone ignorant, it just means you "lack knowledge" or are "uninformed" about the seriousness of this accident especially with the media attention and lynch mob roaming this site and likely his street.
    6. One event (good or bad) does not define the man.
    7. I will wait for the facts and the trial.

Media / Links:
    Video A : Ferrari Fatal Hit and Run Kills 1 Injures 2 Driver Leaves Scene Of Crash I-75 Miami : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-zhljl2PyU]Ferrari Fatal Hit and Run Kills 1 Injures 2 Driver Leaves Scene Of Crash I-75 Miami - YouTube[/ame]

Video B (not the ferrari Incident) : [27 seconds in] : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feuRURoGSNk]I-4 Hit-And-Run Crash - YouTube[/ame]

**I am not a lawyer and am not qualified to give legal advice.

21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    what we DO KNOW is the driver (may or may not be the owner) fled the scene. Some of us feel that the driver is morally reprehensible. Doesn't matter if he's drunk, sleepy, or even completely innocent. He fled the scene and that's wrong. Again, driver may/maynot be the owner but if he were not, what does the owner has to hide. Occam's Razor.
    The owner lawyered up before talking to police. from the lay person perspective, it seems like the owner has something to hide.
    Society does not like injustice, this case, on the surface, seems like the owner is hiding behind his lawyer and using his wealth to protect himself (rightly or wrongly). More truth will come out.
    Emotions are running high and some of that shows on the posts.

22. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
  23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wait as long as you want, the fact is the owner is in hiding.....that is not the act of an innocent man.

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Nicely put Trent.

I don't blame the driver for lawyering up. I'm relatively certain that he was driving fast and impacted the Hyundai. Whether that impact was the Ferrari's fault, or people shifting lanes and swerving in front of the FCar will remain to be seen. I don't think the law cares if its 57 MPH or 127 MPH "excessive speed". Our actions can be painted in any light regardless of the truth. If he had been there he would have been arrested and charged with something regardless of what actually happened. The system works odd doesn't it...BTW that video changed my take on "telling them what happened" and "making a statement".