Ferrari SCARED to face Audi in Le Mans Prototype racing. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SCARED to face Audi in Le Mans Prototype racing.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Formula 1, Jun 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Obviously, I wasn't going to spend much time checking the facts (so don't take them literally), but based on your numbers, the LMP cars do about 90% of an F1 season (in Kilometers) in 24 hours without scheduled stops for anything more than tires, fuel and driver change. As far as 15H v. 24H is concerned, that's a full 60% longer lifespan. And, the LMPs are supposed to do it all with the same components (although the newest quick-change gearboxes and such makes it possible to switch some major components in-race). Whereas, the F1 components don't need to last anywhere near as long. Clearly, the F1 guys are trading-off durability for absolute power and could possible de-tune their technologies to gain life, but endurance racing is also a different skill/mindset than is F1. I'm not saying Ferrari can't/wouldn't/won't be successful in long-distance, endurance racing, but they're focused on high-speed sprints at the moment. And, while Michelotto has carried the marque's badge forward nicely, they simply aren't spending the same as are Audi or Peugeot.

CW

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    While that used to be the case, it's no longer true. Outside of a tub getting destroyed they may very well run the same one all year. [Seb's "Kinky Keily" should last the season for example.]

Cheers,
    Ian

3. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    will be interesting when VW aquires an interest in Ferrari.

4. Therry

Therry Karting

May 26, 2010
    ferrari is depressed after news about future F1 directions: 4 cylinders, only 1.6 litre , big turbo and lame sound

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's funny Mcnish is the one saying it requires precise decision making when he clearly made a very bad one in less than 60mns of racing..

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #56 texasmr2, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    Lol, post of the year!!

7. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Let's not forget that Audi dominated Grand Prix racing before either F1 or Ferrari existed.
    There is no doubt that if F1 was their primary objective, they could be successful if given the necessary time and resources. Similarly, If Ferrari were to re-direct their attention to Endurance Racing, they could likely recapture some of the glory of bygone days. It seems that endurance racing is more in line with German engineering spirit and Sprint racing (F1) appeals more to the Italian temperment.

I could see the latter happening if Ferrari ever made good on their threat to pull out of F1.

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I think you meant Auto Union but that is just splitting hair's.

9. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    I do, as Audi is the sole remaining automobile maker of four member Auto Union (Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer). Audi existed on its own before the Union in '32 having been founded in 1909 by August Horch who was not allowed to use his own name.

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/about/main/history.html

10. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    #60 TurboFreak650, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    I have to admit I have a growing fascination for the Audi and Puegot turbo-diesel monsters. They have a Panzer-like toughness that must be respected and they are seriously fast. Without limitations, the mind boggles as to what TDI tech could do, although of course they have already had to reduce the displacement of the diesels to give the petrol cars more of a chance.

Quite honestly, a large part of the reason I haven't watched Le Mans much since about 2000 is that the cars haven't been interesting. I don't find open top Le Mans sports cars particularly sexy and they were choked down by stricter and stricter rules, not to mention Le Mans itself was toned down in the name of safety. But these closed cockpit LMP-1s have a spacecraft like quality that I find appealing.

Also, I got to drive a pump-up turbo-diesel truck recently with about 400 HP and 800 ft-lbs. The sound it made under accel wasn't too different from the Audi R18s, allowing me to have a little fantasy moment. :D Still, I much prefer to hear a screaming petrol engine, turbos are fine too. I'd like to see Ferrari to return, but it would be massivley expensive and a distraction from the Jeweled Crown of motorsport, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm still disappointed Ferrari never put their weight behind the F40, F50, or Enzo for Le Mans, but at least they've really developed the other cars like never before in recent years. Since the new "F70" is going back to a twin-turbo V-8, maybe we'll see a GT1 equivalent?

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Have to add the name NSU from a later period, I believe Audi's stock symbol is NSU.

I had an Audi coupe years ago, totally blacked out. Florida license plate read Horch. Roughly translated, the name Horch is supposed to refer to the words "to hear". In Latin, Audi means basically the same thing, "to hear". One day I was followed by a German tourist who finally pulled up next to me and asked me how I knew about the reference to Horch.

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    yeah, but since they never added the fifth ring and NSU was primarily a motorcycle maker that didn't merge With AU until 1969, I did not mention them. :p

13. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I know, the point was, Subaru got into a class and type of racing that served THEM.

I am not so sure Jim would WANT to run an entire season, even if he had all the sponsorship he could ask for. I could be wrong, also.

But we may have to figure out just what a 'car' is, is it the tub at the exclusion of every other piece? If he broke the tub and bolted on ALL the parts off the broken car is that a 'new' car?

Seriously doubtful, I think they will do very well, the question is: will BMW get back in as an engine supplier?

Not even close.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    The traditional, generally accepted answer is the car is the tub. [We'll leave aside the question of how he could break a tub & not the remainder of the car. ;)]

Virtually all the other components have pretty strict lifetimes specified - Suspension pieces, radiators etc etc are all routinely replaced but as long as the tub remains (chassis #XX), it remains "Kinky Keily".

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hqIRn30C4Y&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3KYVKJ0LJU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2zmLKSVlY&feature=related[/ame]

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

17. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    I never had a chance to see the 333sp race in person, but seeing these videos after all these years you can so feel the emotion of not a team but a family giving it everything no matter the outcome.

That to me is what Ferrari means and that is what Ferrari needs to get into there thick skulls.

YOU HEAR THAT LUCA!

FERRARI is a FAMILY and this video shows it.

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I remember tubs developed stress fractures 'because that is the nature of carbon fiber' and used to be replaced during the season, but that was awhile ago.

I know the definition of a 'motor' was the block and crank, any other part can be replaced (during a race)

19. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Was the 333SP the last Ferrari intended for endurance prototype racing ?

... what if AUDI ever decides to re badge their R8 as Lambos ? :eek:

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They already did it with a Bentley so of course they could.

They don't seem to care about Lambo racing and instead are going to let Bentley and Porsche have a go at Le Mans. The Bentley will probably be a rebadged Audi but the Porsche will be Porsche based. As VW owns them all it's simply a marketing decision.
    There aren't enough Lambo's sold to make it worth it to rebadge an Audi as a Lambo race car. It seems like they're going after Ferrari's 458 with a new mid engined 8 cylinder Porsche instead of boosting Lambo by going racing so letting Porsche go to Le Mans will help them with that.

21. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Of course they would, no question. But not for the reasons you imply.

LeMans is stacked towards diesels, influenced by Audi's financial contribution to ACO. It has little to do with their raw performance or talent. Any team is capable of winning based on rule manipulation.

LMP cars are performance equalized. They have to be, to guarantee a good show and to guarantee the continuation of the series. Some cars are just more equal than others.

22. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    DCT have never been in F1.

KERS came from road cars, not the other way around.

I believe traction control originated in road cars, but cannot find enough data to prove it.

By brake steer, are you referring to active handling / ESP / one-wheel braking? This is obviously not allowed in F1 as they require manual brake activation. Sure there was the driver-controlled brake steer but that's nothing like ESP.

Few if any innovations from F1 made or make it to road cars.

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Carbon fibre vehicle construction?
    Carbon brake technology as used in carbon ceramic brakes?
    Semi automatic Paddle shift gearboxes? (not dual clutch)
    adjustable differentials? (adjustable from the driver seat)
    Rear diffusers?
    Under floor aerodynamics?
    Variable length engine intakes?
    Drive by wire throttles?
    Car to garage telemetry?
    Launch control?
    Active suspension?

24. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    comes from aircraft
    aircraft
    The kind in road cars has absolutely no relationship to the kind in race cars
    comes from road cars
    Those likely do come from race cars, but I wonder if they originate in F1
    I think that does come from race cars, but again I don't think it originated in F1
    Not sure about that one, but I would guess it originates in aircraft
    Pointless in a road car
    doesn't exist in road cars, at least not in the form that I think of as "active" (the Williams type that was banned); the other type (damper viscosity control) isn't allowed in road racing

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The definition of innovation is:
    in·no·va·tion (n-vshn)
    n.
    1. The act of introducing something new.
    2. Something newly introduced.

Whilst the use of carbon fibre may have come from aircraft, the innovation that F1 gave to road cars was in it's application in automobiles.

As above

Where did the whole concept of paddle shift gearboxes come from? What is the basis of the systems used by Ferrari? Same system or not, the concept came from F1

Whilst active differentials originally come from road cars, I believe they were computer controlled not manually controlled by the driver. F1 has made use of manually adjusted differentials that are adjusted from the steering wheel which is now available in today's supercars (albeit in a simpler form).

A lot of valuable information about underfloor aerodynamics and rear diffusers was discovered in F1 during the ground effect era that is now applied to road cars. I believe most other motor racing disciplines took note of this and made their own versions to suit their needs.

Mmm... It appears that F1 may have got this concept from road cars, so I'll concede on this one.

Similar to the carbon comments above, F1 took it on board for a car before road cars did. The innovation was again in the application.

Can't agree with this one. A car broken down at the side of the road is now capable of transmitting it's diagnostics information to the garage and in some cases, it can be fixed via a mobile phone. Locked yourself out of your car?, it can be opened remotely by someone sat hundreds of miles away!.

I agree on this one, it's a gimmick (and one that puts an awful lot of stress on the drive train)

BMW's E34 M5 had a version of active suspension for a start. Whilst I agree that it's not exactly the same as that of F1, the concept of active suspension derived from F1.