Ferrari sale Gstaad | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari sale Gstaad

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by etienne, Dec 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    All auction companies are having trouble in finding good cars nowadays. The majority of the precious ones change hand directly..(10-15% commission is a lot of money if you are selling cars of 5-10 mln US$). Bonham's has again had a difficult time to make a proper selection and were greatly helped by the availability of the ex-Rosso Bianco Maseratis. The current owner of the Rosso Bianco Collection has, let's say, a special relationship with Bonham's, so that it were they were offered for sale (many other cars of the RBC showed up at various Bonham's auctions during the year). But what about next year. Even last year the number of really interesting Ferraris was not that big, and from all of the historically significant ones that were offered this year, none was sold, so expanding to Maseratis was a good idea, but it may result in some cars being offered that lack a little prestige in comparison to the Palace Hotel.

2. hhh

hhh Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    As the auctioneer said during the sale of one of the Biturbo's; buying one at these prices is cheaper than the taxi from Gstaad back to the Airport!!!

For some people buying a Biturbo to use for a racing school or just to run in the winter on snowy roads is just fun.

Why not?

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've had dinner bills larger than what that Biturbo went for. Cheap fun if you can keep one running.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wouldn't mind a warmed-up engine in ol' 10767...maybe up to 330LMB spec? Something tells me the HP gain/$$ ratio would be a little heavy in the denominator, though!

Jack

5. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    True for the special relationshop with Bonhams and the sale of the ex Rosso Bianco collection (most of), because he (Evert Louwman) owns Bonhams!

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You probably didn't get as much indigestion after the dinner bill though! I hear that the purchase price of a biturbo Maserati is merely the down payment. Or to have the most fun for your money, just drive it until it breaks and take the plates with you when you leave it on the side of the road.

John

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Fugu in Tokyo that one night probably came close.

Maserati ownership never killed anyone that I know of...

8. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    ik schrijf niet altijd alles in het Engels op....

9. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  10. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    It was in Gstaad last month that I spoke with Marcel and learned him how to pronounce "Heerema" I am sure he would not be able to write: ik wel net als hier ....or were you just linking me to a "willekeurig" piece of English to show that you also manage that language?.....

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Quite amazing, was the purchase consummated?

13. Euro RS

Euro RS Rookie

Dec 8, 2005
    Texas Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Steve Patti
    It has been refreshing reading the comments posted to this topic and those of another topic entitled "Lusso Values Declining?" in the vintage model section of this forum. The topics intersect on the subject of the quality (or lack thereof) of cars that Bonhams seems to present at its auctions, which accounts for why the prices are perceived as low.

You might note the following from Marcel Massini's archives:

<personal email - removed by Rob>

My experience with the Bonhams 2003 Gstaad auction was much of the same, as I purchased the 330 America (#5061). I had been in Switzerland the week before the auction to view the car but was denied access. I requested all documentation and/or Condition Reports on the car, but was denied. Then AFTER bidding concluded and I won the car, I was told the car had been in a frontal accident (a Series I GTE nose had been put on the car). I had my Swiss/German corporate lawyers demand that Bonhams sell the car to the 2nd highest bidder based on their misrepresentations (I offered to pay the difference between bids) but Bonhams refused. I even escalated this situation to the head of their San Francisco office as it was clearly fraud, and to no surprise they didn't want to get involved. Simon Kidston (Bonham's supposed "Ferrari expert") is nothing close. The result is that I will be financially "upside down" in this car when the 3+ year restoration concludes at the end of this year. Will I have a nice car? Sure. But I could have invested the same money 3 years ago towards a Lusso and seen the car double in value from $200,000 to $400,000 USD. Meanwhile, I've had nothing but sleepless nights and hundreds of hours of added work to locate original parts, coordinate body shops, etc.

Regretably, Bonhams (like most car auction houses) don't truly want to know the condition of the cars they are sourcing for sale because their goal is not to help buyers build quality collections and make money along the way -- rather, the opposite. It is to make a lot of money and perhaps help a buyer add something nice to their collection.

Auctions are the WORST place to buy a good car (with eBay a close 2nd) because the buyer is never allowed to conduct a proper due diligence and the sale takes place within minutes -- forcing the buyer to make a "leap of faith" that what they bought is what was represented. Worse yet, the auction agreements exempt the auction houses from liability -- and in extreme cases (like Bonhams) the auction agreements additionally release the car owner from liability! So the seller and auction house (theoretically) can have complete knowledge of the fraud and never be legally liable.

How's that for injustice?