Ferrari ROMA | Page 56 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
  2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I believe there is yet another issue. I recall reading that in China there is a huge tax on cars with more than a 4.0 liter engine and it seems that most manufacturers are limiting at least their entry level cars to that spec which means turbo charging to get the output. The vehicles which they want to sell large number of ie. entry level cars they see China as too big a market to pass up.

anunakki, Bundy and Astrid.Didier like this.
  3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Correct that is one of the reasons Ferrari offered the GTC4Lusso in both V8 and V12 form. While I know that a V8 makes much more sense than a V12 for packaging reasons, and also I guess is cheaper to make, I really wish Ferrari would consider a smaller capacity V12, say 4.0 litres. Small capacity high revving V12's were the engines that built the Ferrari legend.

4th_gear likes this.
  4. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    they did have the MC-12, same Enzo engine though?

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Back in the day they weren't considered small. It's unlikely that Ferrari will do a small V12 nowadays, since it would be seen as a backwards step performance-wise.

Enzo based engine, with a number of changes.

ChadR likes this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Politics & Religion (not for the faint of heart) located in the Subscribed Private Forums

of2worlds likes this.
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think the reverse will end up being true. They will go with a small even under 3 liter V12 with hybrid technology alongside in the future. Don't see an all electric Ferrari selling very well for atleast another 10 years, but I am sure they will try it anyway for Europe.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Highly doubt that. An electrified, large V12, is more likely.

9. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    why not electric turbine? no turbo lag and no bad exchaust sound

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not very efficient since it leaves the exhaust gases unused.

11. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Why a large V12? With batteries taking care of the torque low down, why not have a very high (10K+) revving small V12.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not enough high end power. We are already at 800 CV, the next V12 will need to be closer to 900;

13. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I didn't mean the immediate future but more like 10-15 years out when batteries will be lighter and more powerful. 500-600 CV from the V12 and 500-600 CV from batteries in a car that revs like a maniac. Also with a much smaller V12 and a lighter battery pack the final weight of the powertrain might not be that much higher and the batteries will help distribute weight to the centre/back and lower centre of gravity. I know many people hate the idea of a hybrid Ferrari but if this is the kind of hybrid car Ferrari will deliver then I will definitely be all over it.

F1tommy likes this.
  14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    So I wonder if the Roma will also offer a NA V12 in addition to the Turbo V8 for other markets than China? It looks like the engine compartment is large enough to accommodate a V12.

15. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Apparently there is currently a high revving V12 in works... according to some members who are typically reliable

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

G. Pepper, jpalmito, F1tommy and 2 others like this.
  16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
  17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, that would be silly. Many owners buy cars because they are designed and perform well, not because they feature the biggest ****.

A small NA V12 could easily make 600PS, and if the car is light enough, it would make for a very spirited sports car able to satisfy emissions requirements. I've been comparing results at the fuel pump after driving different cars on the same route and my NA V8 actually consistently gets better mileage than a smaller turbo V8 in a much lighter car... both driven in SPORT or TRACK modes of course.

Chasing big HP numbers is fine for halo cars but they are unusable on public roads. The important performance ranges are 0-30, 0-60, 0-80 and would be sales winners when matched with proper Ferrari V12 sound coming from a beautiful engine compartment. Tiny turbo V8s look really disappointing.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari, and all manufacturers for that matter, cannot afford to go backwards performance-wise, which is against the very ethos of Enzo anyway (the best Ferrari has yet to be released, remember?). If someone wants something smaller, he/she can always get a Lotus. A 600 CV engine is Portofino territory nowadays, not top of the line V12. By the way, in Europe we drive a bit faster than the numbers you 've mentioned...

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The car in the second picture is a "Pana-Roma", a four door Panamera with a rear and a bonnet borrowed from the Roma. For now the Purosangue is the only four door model expected but I wonder if one of these days Ferrari will surprise and shock many of us with something like this "Pana-Roma" .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Astrid.Didier and therryzsx like this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Roma’s rear lights remind me of a fiat. Can’t exactly remember which one though. Or maybe it’s just the proportions of the rear

21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The Roma is elegant in it's simplicity. I, for one, loathe all the garbage that's on the back of any current Lamborghini, aero benefit or not.

22. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I doubt it as the Purosangue would most likely take up all the demand for a Ferrari with more than two doors. I also understood the Purosangue will not be a four door in the conventional sense, but something loosely like the RX8's coach doors to aide access to the rear.

MDEL likes this.