Ferrari returns to Le Mans! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari returns to Le Mans!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GTE, Jun 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho

Who says the the engine has to be diesel? The 2010 ACO regulations are for 2.0 liter(petrol) and 3.8 liter(diesel). Aren't the current F1 cars using 2.0 liter engines? It would be very simple for Ferrari to convert to a LMP1 chassis(designed by Dallara or similar). The new regulations also state the LMP2 engines are supposed to be GT2 based, allowing for a F430 GT2(one of the most reliable GT2 engines out there IMO) to be dropped into a LMP2 chassis. GT1 at this point is dead, there is no real competition. Corvette and Aston Martin have now left GT1 for GT2 and LMP1. The only viable class for Ferrari to run in is an LMP class.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #52 tifosi12, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    Not saying you can't have a petrol engine, but the question is can you win without a Diesel?

Ferrari at Le Mans is only attractive if they win and if that requires a Diesel engine, then the deal is off.

PS: I still don't get it why some folks are so hell bent on Ferrari leaving the pinnacle of motorsports (where they almost won the WDC last year) just to compete in a minor racing series.

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    #53 GTE, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    Quite a dissapointing statement, coming from you Andreas. You should know the likes of Alan McNish, Tom Kristensen and (to me anyway) Stephane Sarazzin are legendary endurance racers and are at the top of their game. These guys are certainly no nobodies. The fact that they are lesser known to the general audience, doesn't change that.

Exactly and that's why there is certainly a viewers market for proper racing. 1,5 hour into an endurance race, the positions are beginning to settle somewhat, where as the F1 race is over. F1 provides sprintraces, just about enough for anyone with a questionble attention span. The wants and needs of the mass audience isn't the only thing that matters.

Correct, but those times are long gone and will never return. It just goes to show that the way F1 is going the complete demise of it is certainly not something that can be outruled as a possibility

LMS has a limited calender and by no means the TV-coverage. No doubt Ferrari will loose exposure when they leave F1 for LMS, but apparently Ferrari is weighing pro's and cons and exposure is only one factor that determines the outcome.

Well, take Sebring 2009 for instance. The fight between McNish and Lamy in the earlier part of the race is better than any fight in F1 in the past YEARS! And of course the current situation in GT1 isn't particularly interesting, but in Le Mans both Corvettes were only seconds apart well into the race. It is only natural that after 24 hours of racing, positions have settled and that there is some distance between the competitors. That's why I would like to see a rule that to win you have to have covered the most laps AND you have to be riding 24 hours after the start (so I failure in the last lap can cost you victory even if you are several laps ahead). But other than that, I think it doesn't make much sense to say endurance provides boring races in an attempt to defend F1. It is widely accepted that F1 has a tendency to produce boring races as well. It is a risk in any type of sport.

Come on Andreas, where does it say one needs a diesel engine to win in LMP1?

GT2 is all fine and well, but it is a different game. As Gimmi Bruni explained to me, they don't even get a Rolex when they win their class!

4. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    Just some thoughts:

I'm sure that Ferrari could utilise a KERS assisted petrol engine to be competitive in LMP1.

Putting a 430 GT2 engine into a Lola LMP2 chassis would be an easy way to start in LMP racing, but I don't think that Ferrari want to go in that direction.

GT1 is over, so the 599 or anything else with a V12 is no longer eligible.

What is currently GT2 has the most direct link to the road cars.

The costs of sportscar racing are tiny compared to F1, so if budgets are going to be capped to any extent, then Ferrari could afford to do both. You probably only need a maximum of 40million Euros to put on the best show imaginable in LMP1 across the world!

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Hi Rik, thank you for your input and congrats on completing another 24hour at La Sarthe. Your boys were running quite strong!

I agree with your thoughts concerning LMP2.

I think if GT1 would stay alive, Ferrari´s best bet would be to enter in that category, provided the competition exist out of their ´natural enemies´ mainly Lamborghini, Aston Martin and - to a lesser extent- Corvette. Unfortunately that is out of the window.

GT2 is always an option with a works entry F450, followed by a bunch of costumer cars. They could even put a fresh winner in the car (Marc Gene) to catch a little promotion before the car has even turned a wheel.

Then there´s LMP1. The question is how much sense it would make for Ferrari in a commercial sense to fight against Peugeot and Audi. But on the other hand, in F1 they are fighting Renault, Toyota and Mercedes, not exactly natural enemies either.

I have a feeling LMS is catching some momentum and this could be the moment to step in for any serious team.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I wonder what Enzo would say of a smelly old diesel truck engine in his cars ? LOL

7. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Enzo was above all pragmatic. If it would bring him wins, he would at least consider it.

He use to say about engines behind the driver: The horse pulls the carriage, he doesn´t push it. But soon he was convinced it was the way to go.

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Thanks for stepping in Rik - your insight is by far the most extremely valuableknowledgeable on here (along with Marnix) - got your team newsletter today - WOW you guys really have it all together over the past four years at Le Mans and certainly have/had fantastic drivers. See you in Portimao (did they ever announce a start time for the race?)

Carol

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    flattery won't get you anywhere, but I''ll take it :D

I was wondering that myself. I only just realized it will be a night race.

PS. Are you attending the Spa 24 hours?

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I thought they were talking about actually running GT1 in 2010, using the FIA rules.

Personally, I would love to see Ferrari running LMP1 and Alfa running LMP2... :)

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I just answered my own question by going to the website. The race starts at 1915 Saturday and goes until 0115. Originally there was talk of it on Sunday night but that seemed quite bizarre so it's Saturday. As I recall it will be carried on radiolemans.com. Originally Peuegot was going to be there but just recently said no but would be in the US for Petit and Laguna Seca.

Unfortunately, no Spa 24 this year, we debated on it but must pass with going to the LMS Portugal race. Have a great time there!! The weather report for Spa the other night was most certainly inviting to us - 39F is much better than 97F for sure.

Carol

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    #62 GTE, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spa fits better into my schedule, but given the choice, I would go for LMS. I'll be sure to catch the action on TV.

Rik, new company car? :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Am I alone in wishing that an independent series, free of the FIA and ACO politics, would emerge? If some cutting-edge dream-mix of Le Mans and F1 car could be raced with the premier drivers and without that the third-world budget Mosley proposes, who among us wouldn't line up? If it's good racing and incredible technology, I'm in.

I know this is the stuff of dreams but, hey, that's where good things start.

PS: Good thread. This is a debate that needs to happen.

14. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    You're correct to a certain extent!

Next year's FIA GT1 cars will be evolutions of this year's GT2 cars, with the new GT2 being closer to the current GT3. I know it's complicated!

The ACO are considering whether to run a single GT class next year, using this year's GT2 cars only, or whether to accept the FIA's new GT1 / GT2 classes.

I hope that makes sense.

Whatever the outcome, V12s are out across all classes!

15. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    Thanks Carol!

16. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    Just one of our keen supporters!

17. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    YESSS!! I would be glued to the TV if that happened! :D

It's a dream, but I would love to see a FXX Evo LM, I suppose it would need its own class.

18. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I would like that too, but no V12s allowed next year!!

19. gregmour

gregmour F1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2005
    Valréas / France
    Full Name:
    GREGORY
    #69 gregmour, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  20. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #70 jknight, Jun 30, 2009
    such a shame - at least the privateer teams are winning with their Ferraris in real racing, no 1.5 hour processions around a circuit, something which can't be said for Ferrari in Formula 1

I think all along it was hot air from Ferrari and wishful thinking on the sportscar fans - I also think Luca at the 24h was just a big show for Max.

Carol

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im starting to dislike Luca more and more.

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #72 tifosi12, Jun 30, 2009
    As I stated somewhere earlier on here.

In "real racing" they pull in their leading Corvettes to do a clean up for the finish line?

In "real racing" the majority of "passes" are cars of faster classes lapping lower classes.

In "real racing" the 1.5 hour procession is drawn out to 24 hours. The winners are decided by the Diesel fuel strategy.

And of course: In "real racing" F1-has-been-from-a-long-time-ago Wurz actually ends up winning the race.

Somehow I like the "fake racing" of F1 better.

23. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    No it doesn't make sense but then again we are talking about the FIA and the French. I don't think they ever made much sense.

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    This interesting.....now I'm confused a bit though.

Here’s what I know.

One of the race ECU manufacturers is developing a new ECU with 24 fuel outputs and 12 ignition outputs and the first units are intended for use at Le Mans by a vehicle manufacturer. These are 12 cylinder race engine ecu specs.

Who’s planning to race 12 cylinder cars if it’s not Ferrari I wonder?

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That is interesting. I can't think of anyone else other than perhaps Ferrari entering a sort of works project under the Maserati banner.