Ferrari returns to Le Mans! | FerrariChat

Ferrari returns to Le Mans!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GTE, Jun 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I don't know if this has been picked up already, but todat at Le Mans Luca di Montezemolo confirmed that Ferrari will be back with a works-entry at Le Mans very soon.

This is what I took from lemans.org

The announcement is tucked away in the race-notes, but surely this is worldbreaking news as far as the world of motorsport is concerned, no?

2. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Finally. :) I think a lot of us suspected something when he was there to wave the start of the race. I'm going to guess 2011 or 2012, possibly depending on the F1 season. Not sure how much it will really matter, though. Thanks for the news. :)

3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Fantastic news! But Luca hasn't said in which class... if current F1 breaks up AND the Le Mans rules are changed for accommodating the breakaway series, they might fight for the overall win. If not, it will be the 430 successor in GT2, I think. But there's no way we'll see a Diesel Ferrari in Le Mans.

4. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    When asked if a Le Mans project was a possible replacement for racing in F1, di Montezemolo said: "I don't think it is possible to compete at the maximum level, I mean to try to win in too many series. I think there is Formula 1, there is racing like Le Mans, and racing in the United States which is extremely challenging – as I mentioned before, Indy or something like this.

"Our intention is to continue to participate in Formula 1 if there are the conditions. If not, as I say to our tifosi all around the world who have been in touch with us on our internet in an unbelievable way, the DNA of Ferrari is competition. If we stop in F1 we will do something else, and for sure Le Mans will be one of our first priorities."

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    599 FXX would make a good platform for a GT1 entry...

6. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Wouldn't it be very hard to have an official LMP1 team as well as an F1 (or whatever follows F1) team from an economic point of view?

7. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Thats di Montezemolo's point in the quote in my post above.

8. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Later for F1 it's boring! I Hope to God that they go back to Le Mans and kill porsche since porsche won't race F1. And yes I like porsche but I like Ferrari alot more.

9. EL Nino

EL Nino Karting

Sep 29, 2005
    http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/articles_gb.html

It's right what you say. And lets hope that Ferrari will come back to Le Mans and they have to stay in F1 to beat the (..) Brawns GP.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is just posturing by LdM to show Mad Max, that he (Luca) is serious about the break away series. Which of course he isnt, because the Le Mans series has only a fraction of the global following of F1.

If Ferrari really participates in Le Mans, then in a GT2 or perhaps GT1. But it will not be as a replacement for F1.

F1 and Ferrari are inseparable. Historically, ideologically and contractually.

11. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    F1 is the only motorsport that gets into all the newspapers. It has a publicity footprint an order of magnitude beyond any other motorsport.
    So, yep, I agree with you.

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    That would change very quickly anyway if the manufacturers choose to do something else with their sporting budgets.

13. iceman35

iceman35 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    I'm not reading into this too deeply, as it's most likely a political move, but think of this. Ferrari is used to running F1 on a huge budget, say ~ $250 million or so? If they're only(!) going to be spending $100 million next year, and $60 million the year after, a great deal of funds my be available to start up a Le Mans program. The engineering requirements will be very limited in the future of F1, i.e. limited wind tunnel running, so the resources may be there..... Fun to think about!

14. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    +1 -- Ferrari is 'F1' to many casual observers. Racing is about money -- the money will follow the teams/series that give the sponsors the best exposure and return on their advertising investment.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Manufacturers are not capable of finding agreement on building their own series. While they all hate the FIA, they actually need an outside authority dictating the rules.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

FOTA seems unified now, but what do you think will happen when the teams try to establish equitable rules and Ferrari does not want to play along? And let's see, suddenly McLaren, Red Bull, Brawn, figure out how to build overall winning LeMans cars?

Ferrari may go off on its own and try LeMans, perhaps Indianapolis, but only Toyota and Mercedes (not McLaren) have been in prototypes at LeMans in the last 15 years. The rest? Will return to F1, and then they all return to F1.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I assure you, that Andreas (tifosi12) is not a casual observer. But you are correct the money will be where it gives the sponosrs the best exposure and return on their investment, and that is F1. And everyone concerned from Bernie to Luca knows this.

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I read on another forum that Michelotto is preparing a 599 (not a 599FXX orwhatever it's called). Maybe GT1?

19. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    And the FIA needs high profile competitors, otherwise F1 will be downgraded to just another open wheel-series.

20. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    It is time that Ferrari realises she isn't married to either the FIA or Formula 1. There are other ways to compete in a high profile series. Today there were over 230.000 spectators at the track and many many more TV and internet viewers no doubt.

If the FIA decides to take F1 in a way in which Ferrari doesn't want to go, than there is only one solution, and that is stepping out.

21. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    interesting comment by Salo after winning in GT2 with Risi (second time in a row)

Looks like a job application :D

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #22 tifosi12, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
    True, which is why the FIA doesn't want to loose Ferrari in F1.

230k spectators is pocket change for F1. They make that in two races. Don't fool yourself: F1 is the most watched sport on the planet. Le Mans series doesn't even come close. F1 is the only motorsport that gives Ferrari the exposure they seek.

Salo is naive to think Ferrari would ever participate in the prototype series: To win in Le Mans today you need a Diesel engine, which does not fit at all into the Ferrari sports cars. It makes perfect sense for Audi and Peugeot who have turbo Diesels in their road cars, but makes zero sense to Ferrari.

23. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Don't forget though that the participation of certain drivers that appeal to a whole nation like Alonso and excellent TV coverage can help a lot to make a series a success.

24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #24 dretceterini, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    There are supposed to be MAJOR rules changes for 2010. The LMP1 class is rumored to be going to have a maximum displacement of just 3.4 liters!

The ACO has confirmed the class structure and basic regulations for the Le Mans 24 Hours for the next two years.

As previously planned, the top LMP1 cars will be further slowed with reduced capacity engines. Normally-aspirated petrol engines will now be limited to 3.4 liters, down from 6.0 liters, diesel units to 3.4 liter (from 5.5 liters), and turbocharged gasoline to 2.0-liters (from 4.0-liters). Downforce levels will also be reduced.

LMP2 cars will run using GT2 engines or more production-based units, while some common parts will be introduced to cut costs. Telemetry will also be banned.

The ACO confirmed that it is open to running the latest generation FIA GT1 regulations, meaning that this year’s race will be the last for the likes of the Chevrolet Corvette C6.R and Aston Martin DBR9.

The GT2 regulations will also follow the FIA GT Championship and will introduce the new GT2 cars alongside the existing machines, such as the Ferrari 430 and Porsche 911 RSR. Measures will be taken to equalize the two types of car within GT2.

25. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I´d like to reverse that comment: Don´t fool yourself. Winning the 24 heures du Mans means a lot more than winning the Turkish or Chinese or whatever GP. Even Monaco. Plus, you keep forgetting the possibilty of a shift of public interest when Ferrari changes series.

The moment Ferrari enters, there will be other factories looking into it as well. That will mean a devaluation of Formula 1, no doubt. Times could be changing.

The ACO is constantely working on minimalizing the Diesel-advantage. It would be naieve to think Ferrari would never participate because of the Diesel-factor. It is not impossible that the ACO presents Ferrari with a set of rules that makes it interesting for them (and lets say Aston Martin and Pescarolo) to enter gasoline LMP1´s.