ferrari repair shops in northern california? | FerrariChat

ferrari repair shops in northern california?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by elvisimitator, Aug 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elvisimitator

elvisimitator Rookie

Jun 17, 2009
    Any recommendations for a good ferrari repair shop around the Bay Area? Thanks for any info

2. verdegrrl

verdegrrl Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2008
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    April
    Brian Crall Ferrari Service in San Ramon is your man. Has forgotten more about Ferraris than most of us will ever know.

925 552-9700

Goes by Rifledriver here on the forum.

3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    no offense but if you do a search you'll find the same answer again and again

+1 brian crall

4. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    Call Brian Crall (Riffledriver) NOW!!!
    He KNOWS these cars well (among others) and will be straight-up and honest w/ you.
    He's in San Ramon in the East Bay, his # is 925.552.9700

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    Waterfront Automobili,Inc
    1310 17th Street
    San Francisco,Ca 94107
    (415)861-2223
    Sal Garcia
    [email protected]

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Brian is probably on top of the list but
    Dino Motors in San Mateo is also a good candidate:
    1321 S Railroad Ave
    San Mateo, CA 94402-2124
    (650) 571-0406‎

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Guiseppe DiGenaro (the longest standing employee of FoSF in the service dept, I reckon) opened up his own shop in Berkeley if I'm not mistaken. Truly a gentleman and very sharp tech.

8. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    There are a lot of good guys out there. It depends on what car you have. Pre or post 355 era; North Bay, South bay or don’t care?

9. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    I think he is now working for a shop in Sausalito. But I'll check tomorrow.

10. 90koenigTR

90koenigTR Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    I. P. Freely
    Patrick Ottis in Berkeley did the work on the Concours winning Alfa Romeo. He has tuned my car TR for many years. No mishaps or complaints. (510) 849-3553

11. r48

r48 Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    R
    just found this http://sanfrancisco.kudzu.com/merchant/reviews/7760209.html
    Can anyone tell me what's going on?

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Brian in San Ramon is really good.

Also, try Juan, Grand Prix Motors in Campbell if you are in the South Bay.

Kai

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  14. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Wow, a definite surprise.

In my dealings with Johannes he has always been professional & honest. He’s the kind of guy who I’ve seen treat a $40K car owner with the same respect as a $500K car owner. I’m not here defend the situation but it does seen out of character for him. It would be nice to hear the rest of the story and how it ended.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

There are 2 sides to every story.

16. AutoConcierge

AutoConcierge Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Willis

Understatement of the year............................

17. r48

r48 Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    R
    so are there any other choice around south bay?

18. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    If you don't want to make the trek up to Brian, try Juan at Grand Prix Motors in Campbell. Some fchatters are using him and he restored the lime green Dino that was at the Palo Alto Concourse.

Kai

19. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Find guiseppe

20. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    I read the whole post at Kudzu and find that it smells a bit. He said nothing about the work for which he paid Dino Motors $13K. Although it's unfortunate that he lives three hours from the shop and made a trip in vain, his exasperation with Johannes sounds over the top. The customer makes himself sound rather obnoxious, and his beef is with the guy who "burned" the paint. So Johannes had a communication breakdown with the guy--it happens, yet the world does not come to an end--but to the poster it all seemed like a great cause for indignation.

Johannes likes the older cars. Brian prefers to work on the newer cars. Both know their craft, are honest, and are gentlemen (from my experience). The Bay Area has some excellent mechanics, and if a Ferrari owner wants his car treated right, he should show the mechanic consideration and respect because, trust me, the good ones absolutely do not need any more business than what they already have and don't need the headache of dealing with obnoxious people.

The post at Kudzu seems like a very odd anomaly WRT Dino Motors. I would discount it totally.

BTW, the original poster indicates no Fcar ownership in his profile (IIRC), or maybe that was the one who linked to the Kudzu post.

21. r48

r48 Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    R
    Thanks for everyone's help
    I know what should I do now!! ^__^

22. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Anyone know where Giuseppe went?

He closed the place in Berkeley, said he'd be back though.

23. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #23 Timo04, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    For smoging your Ferrari & Maserati in San Jose, CA this shop seems really good.

http://www.smogtechsj.com/HOME.html

The Smog Tech owners (same as Roselli Foreign Car Repair in San Jose 408- 297-0303) always seem to have their shop full of modern Ferrari and Maserati cars as they are SD3 equipped.

I don't own any F-cars, however I can speak VERY highly of both Roselli Foreign Car Repair. San Jose, Ca and of Dino motors in San Mateo, Ca (650-571-0406). Both shops have gotten me out of several "jams" with my Lancia and Alfas. Both shops always seem to have multiple F-cars in for repairs. I mainly use Roselli since I'm in the South Bay Area...the owners Robert & Ezio are very good friends of mine...they have a passion for all things Italian.

IMHO both Dino Motors and Roselli's are run by true, 'old world' style craftsmen. They actually REPAIR the car/part rather than simply throw new parts at it. In other words they are not parts changers. If need be they will actually fabricate some parts on site if a new one cannot be sourced. This type of service is invaluable for me.

BTW: that one negative review on Kudzu about Dino Motors/Johannes IS totally out of line from what I know of Johannes. From my personal experiences in dealing with Johannes he is a perfect gentleman. Moreover he is a true craftsman (I know that I am repeating myself) who loves his trade. Also Dino Motors does a lot of repair work for Fantasy Junction in Emeryville. CA

Just my '2 cents worth'...HTH.

Happy Holidays!

24. Phat Daddy

Phat Daddy Rookie

Oct 30, 2008
    N. California
    Full Name:
    Phat Daddy
  25. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I'm a big fan of Great Marques in Redwood City. He has worked on a lot of very nice cars, some went to Pebble Beach, Hillsborough and Palo Alto Concours. IIRC he's had "Best in Class" before. Possibly best in show. Brilliant at diagnostics. Also, I think he's incredibly talented with Webers. I took a first place at the Virginia City Hillclimb with his tuning expertise.

I know Sal at Waterfront does very nice work, and I've heard great things about Brian. I have a friend who's GT4 was serviced by Patrick Otis and it looked terrific. Will Haible is also a very talented ferrari mechanic.

The good news is there are sources to get your Ferrari running tip top. I don't think any of them are inexpensive, but that too is a good thing. Everyone who's into Ferrari's has seen bargain work and painfully learns why the sweetness of low price is long forgotten while the bitterness of ------------.