Ferrari pushes the evil Porsche out | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari pushes the evil Porsche out

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bart, Mar 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    You know it... Why the departure from LNS?

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I did this for 2 years for fun. This is my 3rd year now and it is taking a toll on my business. Last year I was unable to control my construction site with a tight hand while dabling all over the Country with GrandAm.

Just need to concentrate on my stuff and do my own racing this year more than last.

Also our team needs to make some changes to get top10 competitive and I don't see that happening. So I can put as much effort into it as I want and control the guys during the race as much as I want but we will always be having the same problems that will prevent us from reaching higher goals.

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    same as on their website - pretty good ! !

Can't wait for the next "real race" - I'm not a big fan of "street racing" - prefer the real circuits.

Carol

5. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just a couple of corrections here. Sebring was built in the WW II era. There were no B52's ever on those runways. The place was built for B17 and B29 prop driven bombers not jet bombers or airliners. There is no way in the world that they are 3'-6' think. Six feet of concrete will support a multi-story building. I know because I build them. The front stright is a former taxi way not a runway and may be 24" thick, but that's about it.

That being said, I've driven at race speeds many times around 17 and it is a wild ride.

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher

I know it's getting off topic but I saw the taxi-way at Griffiss AFB (another bomber base) torn up 20 years ago. The conctete is at least 3 ft thick, it could have been 4ft or 5ft....the hole they made when they replace a square was 8-10 deep, several ft of gravel then rebar welded to the surounding slabs (I think for grounding) then concrete. I couldn't believe how thick it was....but a plane has a lot of pounds per sqin when it rolls by. The fighters I worked on where something like 35000 lbs with only 3 small (2ft dia by 8in wide maybe) tires at 600psi air pressure.

7. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    My bad...I am not up to snuff on the "B's" :)
    It was built for heavy duty bombers though and was specifically designed to handle those aircraft. Whatever Bs they are. I am pretty sure it was more than 24inches and I realize what you are saying, because I built them as well as my main business :). We poured 3ft footings for a single story warehouse. 5ft deep by 9ft wide to hold the center of the steel truss roof.
    Remember, Sebring is built on sand. There is actually a famouns sand dune just outside of the track within 1/2 Mile towards town.

I will research that...now I am intrigued.

8. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    When have ethics and winning ever gone hand in hand? People seem to forget that. You can win, or you can do the "right thing". Racing is about winning, period.

9. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hate to be a jerk about this but at least it will clear things up, this is from the Portland Cement Association’s website…

In 1942, at the beginning of World War II, 93 million sq yd (74 million sq m) of airfield pavement was placed in the United States as the country mobilized to get planes airborne. At that time, 6 in. (15 cm) deep concrete pavements were the norm, but heavier airplanes created the need to increase concrete runway pavement depth to 12 in. (30 cm) thick. Eventually, engineers specified runway pavements as thick as 24 in. (60 cm) to accommodate heavy loads imposed by larger aircraft. The addition of more wheels to these airplanes, which better distributed the loads on the pavement, reduced the pavement depth required to 12 in. (30 cm) in the late 1940s.

http://www.cement.org/pavements/pv_cp_airports.asp

The first of Sebring's runways were built in 1941 according to the airport's website. Therefore using the info above it would mean the thinkness is 6" -12".

10. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    Well there you have it... That feels exactly how far you move to the left each and every time you hit those bumps in 17...

11. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA