Ferrari pushes the evil Porsche out | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari pushes the evil Porsche out

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bart, Mar 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes the P-Car dose appear to steer right to lean on Melo after Melo had bounced into him off a bump.

The next quotes from Bergmiester will be that it was a great race. The protest at the end was just the required fishing.

2. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you ever drove the track at Sebring, right under the bridge is a huge bump that is caused from the transition from contrete to asphalt. If you are in a Formula car it can knock you silly. Looks like both of them hit that bump. And if you believe that I have a slightly used bridge that I can sell you

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Guys watch the clip again:

Bergmeister came into Melo, not Melo into Bergmeister! The Porsche was straight and changed direction into the line of the Ferrari to push him out and not allow him to run on the straight.

Nice driving on part of Bergmeister but at the end of the day it was HIM that caused the contact. Melo held the steeringwheel into the Porsche at that time, that is why you have the second bounce off.

:) video does not lie!

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    EVIL PORSCHE INDEED! :)

Cheaters never win. :)

5. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    #81 JoTeC, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Asphalt in 17? Where?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks; saw the incident late last night on Speed.

Bottom line is I think we've all seen worse; I was expecting a JPM type move forcing the P-car to spin but it wasn't that egriegious.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if the Ferrari team hadn't been penalized for the open visor; I thought I saw one of the Porsche crew with mismatching socks and they didn't get penalized.......;)

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    For those of you critizing this via the tv, you really don't get to see just how bumpy this circuit is. Both drivers were going all out, one driver had no effective breaking and worn tires, slight drifting on a bumpy circuit at high speeds is not uncommon. Jaime is a very professional driver as is the entire Risi team.

Martin, nice post a couple back.

I started another thread with comments from DCS as well as ALMS - terrific write up.

Congratulations Risi on a fantastic race.

Carol

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

carol,

i do understand the sebring surface. i have an imsa firehawk race, 3 barber saab test days and one scca national there (ralt rt 1)...i do understand the surface issues. sebring is special!!!

my comments again were that jorge raced jamie w/o any contact and cleanly. i also stated that the contact clearly impacted the finishing order as jorge lost huge momentum. also the contact occurring on the final corner w/ all eyes on them obviously means there will be scrutiney. look, to me this was a finish worthy of the good old bishop days of imsa. sebring is a special place...just go there sometime when there is no event going on and look at it in silence...the place gives me chills!!!

don't get me wrong folks...i will always be a racer and i was glued to the tv! i hope ferrari in a competitive platform will help alms survive. we need this sanctioning body!!!

best,

pcb

9. ferraripete

in fairness...only the firehawk enduro was using the long course. but the final corner in question, i am very familiar.

10. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    SO true!

11. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    #87 JoTeC, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. ferraripete

i won't hold that against you joe!!

13. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    The beginning days of Mad Max Angelelli's run in the US... :)

14. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    LOL, Joe:
    if they had followed the red line....they had both NOT won. That takes you in the pit lane :D

15. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Sebring is a concrete runway that was built in the old days for B52 bombers. The runway was extra long and built specifically for heavy aircraft. The individual concrete slabs are super think, that is why Sebring has never undertaken the removal of these conctret runways and taxiways bc the cost would be astronomical. I once knew how thick they are. 3 or 6 feet thick from what I remember.

So each slab has a transition strip in there, very bumpy. Under the bridge in 17 is a huge bump right at the APEX that will set you over by a good foot. Just hold your steering wheel and hold on. The track takes you all the way out to the outside wall and visually there the wall has a curve into the track so it looks like if you keep on pushing you hit the wall when actually you are not. (great to see newbies get wet pants in that turn). To run 17 right is a science. I love it. Took me years to get it right. Best way to learn that corner is to talk to Barbara, the corner worker in 17, she will show you the line from that corner.

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    First, you have to run close enough to Barbara to reach out over the jersey-barrier and grab her flag...

17. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    Good observation Martin. That lap was a proof of concept for a team running my GPS... :) They did indeed do one lap, out and in...

18. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
  19. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
  20. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Joe - thanks so very much for this link - it's absolutely awesome. Do you have any more that you can share, like turn 10?

I can visualize the Porsche and Ferrari in the sequence at a higher rate of speed going for the checkered flag.

Carol

21. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    Anything you want Carol. 10 is tough, as well as 6 and 13. I have data, video, blah, blah, blah... My GT3 cars are definately 6 seconds off the GT2 cars...

22. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
  23. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    LOL, at least he made it past the green flag :) Imagine you spin in front of the green flag and come to a stop right before the line :D

24. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    BTW, the first Turn 17 vid you posted is the same line Bergmeister took. It is a little too early into the first APEX in 17. That takes you out a little too far towards the wall and you can not put the hammer down early enough to get on the straight. That is why Melo was able to undercut the Porsche in between APEX 1 and 2 in 17 and come on the inside and be earlier on the gas to come side by side with Bergmeister and have the better momentum.

If you run the Porsche line you have to hold it off the gas a little longer than the inside line.

It is essentially two lines through that turn but if you are in a battle 1 on 1 you want to have the inside. If Bergmeister would have taken that extra 2 feet on the first APEX he actually would have pushed Melo further out and taken him momentum which would have given him the win.

Not trying to be the monday night quarterback here (since it is Tuesday morning...LOL)

Are you coming down for Homestead in April? Will be my last race as crew chief for LNS.