Ferrari pushes the evil Porsche out | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari pushes the evil Porsche out

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bart, Mar 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slashmatt

slashmatt Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    Sports cars have fenders for a reason. Think about it.

2. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No damage, nice black rubber stripe on the Risi car. Cavalino said it best. The cars were bouncing sideways on the bumps in the turns, there just happen to be a P-car there.

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We were at the race and it was one of the best ALMS races we've attended. Martin had one of the best posts on this thread. I thought the race would be between #62 and #32, however, both PWL 430's had engine fires. So then it became a single Risi-Flying Lizards battle. It was most interesting listening to John Hindy on AMLS radio calling the closing part of the race as well as listening to the Risi team calling out times to Jamie. He virtually had no brakes left at the end of the race. Just about everyone seemed to have one sort or another of difficulties during the 12 hours. The Dyson Spyder was being held back together with tie-wraps and the right side didn't have the lights showing placings. Both Audi's had problems but the deficit that Marco, Emmanuel and Frank overcame to take the win was superb. In parc ferme some of the damage to the right front was very visible. Allan, Dindo and Tom also overcame obstacles for their second in P1. Clint, Jon and Richard also are to be commended to all their problems over the weekend in their P1 Creation that had to be "re-created". IMO the best overall P2 racing was that of Highcroft - just wish they would have topped the class. . . always next weekend in St. Pete

As typical with night ALMS racing the fireworks capped off a terrific race.

Definitely going back to Sebring next year.

Carol

4. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I believe side to side contact while exiting the last corner was a legitimate rub. Everyone who has raced Sebring knows the inside line coming under the bridge on the last corner is extemely bumpy and sets the car into a drift sideways at speed.

As they told us in the drivers meeting at the Challenge World Finals at Monza this year when a driver asked the race director about this kind of contact. The race director replied " Gentlemen, THIS IS NOT TENNIS, THIS IS RACING!!!!"

What great race, probably one of the best battles since Villeneuve and Arnoux. (well maybe not quite that good, but you get the message)

5. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    How did you ever get home? I know people that are still stuck in Orlando because of the airline cancellations and delays from the Nor'Easter. The soonest my friends could get a flight on Delta to Charlotte was Tuesday... :(

6. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
  7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I was on edge hoping the Porsche could make it up to at least right behind him, I didn't think he'd make it past at all. The Ferrari driver overcooked it in a corner, drifted, and that gave the Porsche closing distance. Contact like that earlier in a race, and I'd of not been happy as it would hurt both car's chance of winning, but last corner, last lap, nothing else mattered.

Very impressive driving for the Ferrari there, I don't think the bumps where intentional, he was just trying with everything he had to still win that race. I've made a pass like that before in karts. It was a great race, glad I got to see the ending live.

8. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    The word on the track is the Porsche has more hp but the Ferrari is the better handler. Also, the Ferrari is stroked at 4.0 liters with restrictors (size??).

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    1. I'm a 911 owner-and a member of PCA
    2. I'm glad the Ferrari won-FORZA FERRARI!!!!
    3. I'm glad Porsche got spanked by Acura.

Porsche today is not the Porsche I grew up with; Wendeking is more worried about selling cars in China than competing in racing's upper echelons....

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We even got home early and best of all we were headed in the opposite direction! We had absolutely no problem getting out of the track last night either (had vision of lengthy departure dur to traffic). We arrived MCO Saturday am - 12:30 and drove to track - got fantastic parking place on side of road across from the Four Points Hotel. Got on track for podium awards; walked to car (11'ish by now) and drove right out and back to Orlando airport (stayed at Hyatt in terminal - love those in-terminal hotels!) and caught a 9:35 flight to DFW and even then went stand-by on earlier flight into Waco. At the time we were at the airport we knew nothing of any delays. How about you?? still stuck in Orlando?

Great racing - two improvements would be a nice addition. First, have the podium up high where you can see what's going on - where the photographers were would have been a better spot and giant tv screens would be most welcome. Move the motor homes across from the only grandstand and insert big tv; turn 10 would be nice too and some other locations. Will this hinder us from attending next year . . .I think not!

Carol

11. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
  12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    For advertising? Ha :)

13. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    I worked GT3 so I got out Friday night after our race. I watched the 12 Hour race from my couch... :) People were lined up at Orlando reticketing that had to be 400 to 500 deep. What a mess...

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Carol's earlier post said the brakes were gone.

Question: Were they using carbon ceramic brakes on the 430?

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    You can say that loud.
    Although I must give it to them at least they do give facotry support to various series. Porsche Super Cup, AMLS, GrandAm and various others of course. A lot more than Ferrari does....actually ALL more than Ferrari does.

That said, Wendekind sold out to now have Porsche built by robots to maximize profits, profit from SUV markets and has deluted the brand name and heritage the name Porsche brings to sell more and make more money in the short run.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you for posting the video.

after watching it again, i am able to see bergmeister's side of the story. melo shot jorg's momentum dead! too bad as bergmeister was super clean in his passing yet could have easily punted melo.

too bad. bergmeister is one of the very, very best sports car drivers on the planet.

oh well, that's racing.

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I want Ferrari to win like the rest of you, but I think the push out was at the least, bad form. I wonder how many here would have thought it was just racing had the Pcar pushed out the Ferrari.

18. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

Exactly, that is racing and yes Bergmeister is one of the best and as such he should be happy about the great finish and the great race he has been involved in. No need to call for a review, but when the adrenaline is flying I also understand why he did.

19. ferraripete

fair question...i suspect you know the answer. i think i know it too.

the alms/imsa scrutineers should have made a different judgment after review. sorry folks but 20 seconds for a pit infraction, what about a little love tap with all eyes watching? melo got lucky in keeping the win.

20. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Great win for Ferrari, Looked like a NASCAR finish!

21. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    You are assuming the "push" was intentional. For the entire last lap, the Ferrari could out accelerate the Porsche in the straights. So why not assume that Melo accelerated hard at that last turn yet lost grip due to worn tires. We weren't there, so none of us really know.

22. ferraripete

ron...the first hit happened on entry. of course melo did not try to put bergmeister in the wall. i just stated that he did not race him cleanly in the end.

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

OK, I understand your point. But my point is we do not know if bumping was intentional or the result of torque and worn tires on concrete. If it was the latter, I would still call it a clean race. This was side by side racing, both cars had the line. If Melo had punted the Porsche like Montoya punted Pruitt a few weeks ago, it would be another issue.

At the hairpin, cars were bumping all day. Just the way it is at Sebring.

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It's hard to play nice when you have nothing to lose. If both cars crashed, the Ferrariwins, if the porsche crashes, the ferari wins. If the ferrari crashes, he gets second....the same as if he didn't even try. He had nothing to lose.

25. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    Great cars and drivers. Greater finish. Objectively, it looks as though Bergmeister actually came in to Melo twice at the end (watch the video closely). Looks as Melo slid into Bergmeister. Either way, what a finish!