Ferrari-powered 425 GT "One OFF" | FerrariChat

Ferrari-powered 425 GT "One OFF"

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by mondial 747, Dec 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial 747

mondial 747 Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    UK/S.AFRICA
    Full Name:
    COLIN BREMNER
    #1 mondial 747, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello

I'm building a One Off car form a ALFA SPIDER DUETTO Which was in poor shape after years of neglect. I own 4 DUETTOS and three are in outsatnding condition having been rebuilt slowly over 2 years by my small team.

That said I respectfully decided to 'correct' what I thought was wrong with the original design and am slowly fashioning a beautiful car which will recieve a 348 powerplant and suitable box and differential to accommodate the power.

I've code named her the 425 GT [425cc per cylinder] and I'm altering the body quite substantially but in keeping with Mr Pininfarinas original design.

We've sourced period Borannis at an almighty fee but these require full restoration too.

In a nutshell we have:

1. Cut 4 inches from the rear overhang
    2. Removed the unsightly side scoops
    3. Moved the doors back 16 inches and made them smaller.
    4. Moved the firewall back about 16 inches as well to provide a further aft seating position and make space for a sensibly positioned 348 V8 in the correct G of G area.
    5. Removed the A pillar to make way for the Plexiglass style windscreen.
    6. Closed in the front section and cut out a Ferrari style mouth.
    7. Closed in the rear completely for now and will plasma cut a small boot later.

I think we've done well so far . Any comments would be appreciated. My body Guy Chris is a genius and he reads my mind showing so much interest in the project. In the pics attached the firewall is still to be moved back another few inches and ignore the rough welding lines/ bumps we are soon to beat her straight with heat once the shape is correct.

Colin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. YenkoKurt

YenkoKurt Rookie

May 19, 2012
    Topanga CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Anderson
    Has sort of a vague 330gts look going on.

3. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    I would like to see a Boano roof line if you are putting a top on.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Unsightly side scoops?????

Weird comment.
    Pete

5. mondial 747

mondial 747 Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    UK/S.AFRICA
    Full Name:
    COLIN BREMNER
    Pass : I'm going to make her a Barchetta with Plexiglass I think . The side flanks will have cut out vents as well for heat dissipation . I'll also fashion a roll protector hump at the back.

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #6 Ed Niles, Dec 6, 2013
  7. mondial 747

mondial 747 Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    UK/S.AFRICA
    Full Name:
    COLIN BREMNER
    Heavens that is beautiful .

I own a couple of nice cars from a lovely 348 [355 body] to the four Duettos and a Porsche 356a RHD, but this car is so pretty I find myself just looking at it for hours. It has fabulous sublime geometry . The devil will be in the detail . It's got to be perfect in every way. Plexiglass is the easiest and she's only for very quick sunny days out on the highway or the club. As time goes by I'll need more advice on a number of things from the forum regarding technical issues.

8. mondial 747

mondial 747 Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    UK/S.AFRICA
    Full Name:
    COLIN BREMNER
    Yes a more sexy, clean 330 gts is more what I'm trying for but I'm letting the car evolve as it does. It must just be what it is , not a recreation. The car won't weigh more than 1100 KGs so I'm sure will have outsatnding pull. It will be simple and race like with period leather bucket seats . We're fabricating a large rear fuel tank out of Aluminium. I 'm not sure about the gearbox. This is a debate that I'll let my mechanic take on

9. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Very interesting project; nice so far. I have a spare 348 g'box, but I don't think that's what you need. Good luck on keeping under 1100kg.

10. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Seeing that you seem to be a Duetto fan I am curious how you find the sides to be unsightly?

Cool project.

11. mondial 747

mondial 747 Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    UK/S.AFRICA
    Full Name:
    COLIN BREMNER
    Hi Vincent

I'd never go out of my way to unkindly disrespect the designs of the Boss ,but I cannot work out why Alfa seem to do it over and over again .They make a car with excellent sublime geometry and then put some strange , quirky styling excercise all over the final rendition. Quite simply if you look at the value of a Duetto versus a Guilia spyder ,which is pure and near perfect in it's lines I think it proves my point. Had Alfa simply kept the scoops on the designers table and did 4 more things:

1. Produce soft standard rounded sides
    2. Place the door, fire wall and seat position 12 inches rear of their current position
    3. Shorten the boot overhang by 6 inches :
    4. Redone the front radiator openings losing the stainless steel 'braces' ;

the car would have been a truly beautiful machine that would be a very desirable collectors piece and not sadly a much overlooked classic. In fact this is why I started the project to prove just how lovely the Duetto can be. I'm not really such a fan , I somehow managed to trade an old Mondial for these cars and the lines have quietly frustrated me ever since.

If you keep watching the thread, I'm confident I'll be able to prove my point. Thanks for your comment .

12. mondial 747

mondial 747 Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    UK/S.AFRICA
    Full Name:
    COLIN BREMNER
    The windscreen also needs to be moved back 12 to 18 inches on the original design.

13. mondial 747

mondial 747 Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    UK/S.AFRICA
    Full Name:
    COLIN BREMNER
    #13 mondial 747, Dec 10, 2013
    Have a look at this, I played with a picture to try to show how an Alfa could have been improved a bit. Obviously my car will be styled more like a Ferrari .

14. YenkoKurt

YenkoKurt Rookie

May 19, 2012
    Topanga CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Anderson
    That pic starts looking Zagato-esce or a mini Disco Volante.

15. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    how is this project coming along?

16. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    Bump

17. m80hot

m80hot Formula Junior

May 15, 2006
    manchester uk