Ferrari owners in Western Michigan? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari owners in Western Michigan?

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by buddyg, Jan 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm game. Keep me posted on the dates. I'll spread the word here in Kalamazoo. I'm sure Johnny will be interested.

2. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Also, I would guess the east side people would be interested on a occasional road trip to this part of the state and maybe someone from Chicago would come over. I know of a few events at the Gingerman this summer that would be fun to attend.

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    We could also do a Lansing meet so we can get some East siders. That way it's only a 1 hour drive for both sides.

4. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Could have driven today but not tomorrow haha

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Lansing is a good idea; I know several form the east side that would participate.

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Suppose to be 61 on Monday!

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Yes, great weather. I don't know about your area , but here they put down about an inch of salt last night in preparation for a 0.001 inch of snow. I am leaving my car in the cocoon

8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Pretty dry and clean up here in GR I might take a drive tonight!

9. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I know, right?!
    I almost took the 308 out for lunch! 54 degrees in February?!!

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You up for a drive tonight? Your in Holland?

11. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, but I play tennis at 6:30 (until 8:30). Otherwise a drive would be perfect for such a day!

12. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    As far as a meeting place there is a Panera Bread and a big Meijer parking lot at the Kalamazoo Ave exit off M-6. right by the Panera building there is a little used part of the Meijer lot that might work. Thoughts ?

13. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    That sounds fine, Skip. It is good for Dave and Johnny being right off of 131, plus M6 isn't all that bad for Lansing or myself in Holland.

I had my Argento 308 out yesterday afternoon. AMAZING weather for February!

14. JSytsma19

JSytsma19 Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff S.
    THIS is what I was wondering about when I just rejoined this site. I was curious if there were ever any Ferrari meetups, or local chapters of a Ferrari club where Ferrari history is discussed. It'll be a few years still before I purchase one, but I would like to learn more about each model, the pro's and con's of each, aside from my massive amount of research. I'm 6'4" and worry about driving some of them comfortably.

I'm currently restoring a 1949 Ford afterwhich, Lord Willing, I can put a something from Maranello in my garage. I'm in Grandville, life-long Ferrari enthusiast and reader/researcher.

So question - apart from just reading online, is there ever a meetup where non-owners are invited to see the cars and talk Ferrari history (aside from C&C GR)?

All replies are appreciated. Thanks!

15. JSytsma19

JSytsma19 Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff S.
    So THIS is what I was hoping to find when I decided to rejoin this site. I'm curious if there are any local Ferrari clubs or groups that are open to non-owning enthusiasts? Life-long Maranello fan from Grandville. Certainly on the agenda to get one someday. Not until after I'm finished with my 1949 Ford though.

Anyway, apart from C&C GR, I was curious if meetups are only exclusively for owners? Looking for others to talk Ferrari history, as well as learning more about the pros and cons of each model as I slowly make my way towards ownership. And curious if being 6'4" is a concern?

All replies appreciated. Thanks!

16. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Glad to have you, Jeff. No need to be an owner if you're a fan.
    Yes, 6'4" is a concern. I'm 6'1" and it's tough. The older the car the worse for tall people, I think. But don't forget Tom Selleck managed to fit in a 308 (with custom adjusted seat and targa top OFF.

Anyway, I think we are looking at March 25 or 26 for a first meeting??

Robert

17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    All car lovers are welcome wherever we end up meeting. The M6 location sounds good, do we need to talk to someone about having permission to meet?

18. JSytsma19

JSytsma19 Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff S.
    Thanks guys! I posted once before I had subscribed, and once after, so forgive the two postings. As for my height, eh, its one of the curses of being a bit taller.

I'll keep checking for future dates and the like.

Thanks again!

19. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    You might want to take a look at a 612 Scaglietti. Happy hunting! We have a pretty active group on the East side of the state. Feel free visit us. There will be a FCA track event at Gingerman in July. It should be a decent opportunity to check out multiple cars and talk to owners.

Jeff

20. JSytsma19

JSytsma19 Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff S.
    Depending on the weekend, I'd love to make it! I'll keep my eyes open as we get closer.

I certainly am a fan of the 612's!

21. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    i talked to the manager at Panera Bread (M-6 and Kalamazoo Ave) and they shouldn't have a problem keeping up with orders but they don't have much of a parking lot. Just to the east of Panera Bread is a part of the Meijer parking lot that is rarely used. Not sure if we want to call Meijer at this point, too easy for them to just say No. what does everyone else think?

22. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I can't imagine anyone having a problem with a handful of exotic cars on their parking lot. In fact, a business owner would likely welcome the attention at his business.

Panera sounds fine with me. We just need a definite time and date to meet.

23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Let's say March 25th weather depending. I leave for Florida from March 28 to April 8.

24. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Please keep us posted on a time. My car is still in storage and waiting for some parts to arrive back from being restored. I may drive up though. The 25th is also the date of the model/literature show at Continental in Chicago. I've been going to it on and off for over 30 years. It's a great kick off to the driving season.

25. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I would say let's have it from 8am to 10am. Plan on it!