Ferrari Owners Group (FOG) Charity Road Rally SF to LA | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Owners Group (FOG) Charity Road Rally SF to LA

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Vraiment, Feb 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    #754 Itzkirb, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRYCT5h9MIk&feature=related[/ame][ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3JZ1Ml2cQ[/ame]

3. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
  4. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    #757 Vraiment, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    G, thanks for the tour and for sharing your impressions. Agreed, the Rodeo run was quite a kick -- DAK posted a few videos today that really provide the perspective (auditory) for those who were on the sidewalks. Pretty amazing sound. I recall one conversation in which a bystander said "I think they're race cars." and their companion said, "No, they can't be, they're not wearing helmets." Loved the description of the paint peeling fly by. A clown at Doug's? Hum, I'll bet he'd oblige. Question is, did you ever actually ride the train? I went for a ride and we derailed on the first corner. After multiple attempts by our fervent conductor at recoupling the train in the dark, I abandoned the crew to return to the Tequila bar. Totally missed the simulators, but I'm thinking one might be essential for the club house / cave!

5. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Just to set the record straight the train was successfully re-railed and completed the journey without injury to any of the passengers!

6. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    I love telling that story -- high drama on the SPC -- Southern Pacific Carlisle!

Did you get lessons early in the evening or were you a conductor in another life?

7. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #760 Brigadelok, Oct 3, 2011
  8. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Whoa! I need backstory on that pic!

9. jd359

jd359 Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    S.F. East Bay
    Full Name:
    J.D.
    Not many people can truthfully say that they own a Ferrari AND a 1:1 scale train! Who starts the train up once a month so the battery doesn't die? :)

10. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani

Do tell !

Interested listener HERE !

11. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    So just like the huge interest in old cars in England, there’s an equal passion for old steam locomotives. At the highest level this includes restoration of full size standard gauge locomotives, where the costs are truly prohibitive, and just like replica cars, even the re-creation of old designs from scratch. You may have seen the Top Gear episode with the race between the Jaguar XK120 and the brand new steam locomotive Tornado from London to Edinburgh.

My interest it in the more modest narrow gauge locomotives which in the UK tend to be 2’ gauge as opposed to the 3’ gauge in the US, although Maine did have an extensive 2’ gauge system. Many years ago while living in England I started collecting these locomotive with a group of friends, and we built a small railway to run them on. More recently I acquired two more locomotives of my own that were brought back to England from Mozambique where they had operated on a large sugar plantation. They both require a huge amount of work which and will take several years to restore as all parts have to be made from scratch.

One of the advantages of the narrow gauge locos is that they only typically weigh from 6 to 20 tons and can be easily moved around using the kind of low loading trailers used for earth moving equipment. This allows us to take locos to visit other railways often for special gala events. The photo I posted is on the Ffestiniog Railway in Wales that is the largest and most famous of the 2’ gauge lines with 40 miles of track.

There’s no need for trickle chargers but you do need to light the fire about three hours before you want to set off!

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #765 Need4Spd, Oct 5, 2011
    You mean this episode? So cool....er, hot!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. kouroshoo7

kouroshoo7 Formula 3

Jul 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kourosh
    #769 kouroshoo7, Oct 6, 2011
  14. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Great pics, Keith -- Thank you for posting!
    It's great to keep reliving the weekend.

15. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani

I have always been a HUGE fan of shays myself

16. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #772 Sledge4.2, Oct 10, 2011
    Big thanks to Evan, Doug and John at SF Motorsports for storing my car for 2 weeks after the rally.

While the 34 year old car made it down in one piece, when i picked it up John point out the water was drained and there was a huge split in the lower radiator tank.

So, I pulled it out and its in to get rodded out or recored. While its down I also took out the interior for a minor reconditioning.

Be back on the road in a few weeks...

17. kouroshoo7

kouroshoo7 Formula 3

Jul 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kourosh
    Keep us in the loop.... whats the plan for interior?
    Alcentera with red stitching?

k