Ferrari of Denver | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari of Denver

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by craiginco, Nov 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    John,
    Easy solution...........replace that Vette and Hummer with Ferraris!

Best,
    Dave

2. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    #27 cmparrenzo, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    As a long distance customer, I have to say they have renewed my passion for my Ferrari's. Living in Kansas City we are without an authorized dealer and have very few options to get our cars worked on.

FOD has an incredible service department and Jeff Hocker is always willing to help with any service problem. While it cost a few bucks to have the cars shipped to Denver, it always seems the bill is less than what it would have been locally and it gets done so much faster. (And they stand behind their work)

My next car purchase will be from Ferrari of Denver. Mark Dismuke is a class act. Period.

Oh, and Bill Stewart is just about the nicest man I have met.

Chris Parr
    President
    Ferrari Club of America
    Kansas City Chapter

3. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!! THANK GOD I LIVE FAR AWAY FROM YOU. I wouldn't want you walking into my establishment. Customers like you make life hell for those of us trying to run a business. WTF, Who do you think you are? You are so GD important that you want to destroy someones reputation because you couldn't agree on a price? I've had to deal with some scumbags lately myself, so this is really hitting home. I take **** like this extremely personally and I haven't slept well for several weeks because of 2 unreasonable dirtbags.

Its evident that FOD works hard and succeeds in pleasing their customers, yet all it takes ONE irresponsible jerk to tarnish their efforts. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

4. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    Wow, this thread is actually a strongly positive endorsement of FoD. People have been treated well by FoD and are jumping to the defense. Nice!

5. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Mark,

Next time I want to trade up, you'll be one of the people I'll contact. I'm sorry you have to have to have this trash spilled on a national public forum. I doubt you'll ever get one, but you are owed an apology.

6. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Or, in this case, the flipside is: All it takes is a bunch of happy customers coming here to refute pretty much everything that the original poster is asserting.

7. craiginco

craiginco Karting

Jan 24, 2008
    Highlands Ranch
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Once again all I did was say my experiences with FOD. If you disagree then great, go buy all their cars. Not one person has addressed the fact I was sold a car that was in an accident and was told it had not been. Not one person has addressed why FOD cars are more expensive than most and every trade-in is a POS. I usually have great experiences with Mercedes, Porsche and Lambo - all have been great. Ive gone through 9 cars in 5 years in Denver and the only bad experience was 2x with Ferrari. I didn't ask anyone to agree. If I'm an ass**** for sharing actual facts than call me names all day long. This is a little like the little tiffs you have about which Ferrari is the greatest. Everybody has their own opinion; God forbid I give mine especially since I'm not just blowing smoke. These events actually happened. But keep on with more stories of how great FOD is and if they sell great cars and you love them then good for you, just wasnt the case with me.

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #33 CornersWell, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    While it's rare, I do know of this having happened out of another dealer on the East Coast. This particular dealer had a good reputation in the community, and my family has personally dealt with the franchise since it opened. So, the fact that this happened was a true surprise. But, no matter how good a dealer's reputation, things happen. The real question is how the dealer will make it right.

Said car was advertised as having had no damage or paintwork of any kind, too, of course (btw, you can look on the Way Back Machine ...www.archive.org ... and find the originally-published ad, and if it said no paintwork, you've got a dealer dead to rights). And, this dealer also stated they won't (or can't) sell cars that have had paintwork done. I'm not sure, exactly, of whether this is an SpA/FNA policy or just a practical issue for dealers. However, those are their own rules.

Turns out my friend learned a year later when he wanted to trade his 355 Spyder in on a 360CS that the dealer now says the car had paintwork and, since they can't sell cars that have had paintwork (citing the aforementioned policy), they can only give him $X on the trade-in because they'd have to wholesale the car out, which was significantly lower than the purchase price (and blue book). Naturally, one of the sales pitches was that the 355 had been "mostly depreciated" and should hold good value. My friend had NEVER had any paintwork done. So, the dealer incorrectly advertised the car and flat out lied to him at the time of the sale. I find that unethical. I find it repugnant. I find that the type of slick, used-car crap I'd expect to find on a corner lot. I do not expect to get that from a ferrari-authorized dealer. Indeed, the reason why we buy from an authorized dealer (and pay more for it) is to avoid just such behaviour and situations. So, if that is what happened, FoD should make it right for you. How is another question, though. And, it's going to be up to you to work it out with them. They're busy selling and servicing other cars.

My friend eventually sold the car through an independent broker, but he took a loss. There were many issues with the dealer in trying to resolve the monetary loss. And, to be honest, I don't remember the resolution, but he seemed okay with the outcome and did eventually accept the situation for what it was. Regardless, he has not purchased another Ferrari. Or any other car from that dealer, for that matter. Caveat Emptor applies, I suppose, even to dealers that are well-thought of.

CW

9. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    OK, no doubt that aspect is not good - but your main gripe seemed (to me anyway) that you were unhappy with the numbers they threw at you on a possible new transaction... again, I must point out that Mark offered to get together with you to see if you two could iron anything out, and you thus far have not done so. How do you know that you wouldn't be happy with the outcome? You really don't know unless you give them the opportunity. It seems, however, that you'd rather stay unhappy.

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #35 CornersWell, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    At least a part of that gripe, though, is the low trade-in value the dealer is offering. Due largely to the fact that the car they sold him has paintwork. Part and parcel.

But, also, I would take mild offense if my dealer didn't treat me with respect. So, if they give me some dismissive estimate on a deal, I'd be miffed, too. BTW, after my dealer jerked me around with respect to a Scuderia (which I didn't really want in the first place, but I told them I'd take one ... just to keep the relationship going), I told them to pound sand. They'll not be selling me a new car again. Besides, I rather prefer the old iron, anyway.

But, of course, a dealer can sell to whomsoever they wish, and dealers almost always have a list of prospective buyers longer than their allocation. So, frankly, for Ferrari it's a seller's market. However, when the quick buyers dried up, and they started offering me cars (ones I didn't even want, I might add), I told them to stuff it. The dealer had me as a customer for over 20 years, and they basically, through poor management, alienated me. Among many other long-time, good customers. So, when we wanted something from them, they turned up their palms and shrugged their shoulders. When they need something from us? Sorry, Charlie. One hand washes the other...

Just to be clear, though, I am not talking about FoD.

CW

11. Maranello Fanatico

Mar 29, 2010
    Littleton, CO
    Full Name:
    Brad Peterson
    I have been personal friends with Derek for about 8 years. When he lets me I work on his Audi under warranty. While I am not a current Ferrari owner, it is my passion and will get into my first entry level ferrari and move up from there. There is only one place I trust to work on, or buy from and that is FOD. Not just because I consider Derek to be a great friend and representative for FOD but because of all the people outside of FOD who vouch for them.

As for the paintwork/hidden damage on your ferrari, lets not pretend that there are owners of exotic cars out there who get repairs done on the down low due to insurance cost and depretiation due to the accident. Happens all the time. What I am surprised at is FOD did not catch this (assuming it did not happen post purchase) and simply wholesale this vehicle. There are always 2 sides to every story and I think they have both been told here.
    My opinion (and it is just that, my opinion) is that you expect everything to go your way because you have money and feel you are a large player in the exotic market. Not so.
    Few words of advice, lower your expectations. You are not so important that FOD needs to drop everything they are doing to make you the deal of the century. They will be fair and
    they will try their hardest to make you happy. If it was not meant to be then so be it. Move
    on. As you clearly have done anyway. Trying to convince a lot of FOD supporters we should not go there or shop there is a futile attempt at getting payback.

I work in the industry (obviously as a Audi tech) and know the value in trying my hardest to make a customer happy. I never go into a repair with "the customer is crazy" mentality.
    If I did I would not make any money. Good luck to you and your future purchases.

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The biggest issue, assuming the paint allegation is accurate (how does one PROVE that, though), is how can FoD make it right? In my mind, if the dealer sold a car they shouldn't have, they need to buy the car back (or take it on trade) at a price that ignores the paintwork issue. Then, it's their problem, as it should have been in the first place (since they missed the paintwork or, worse, knowingly misrepresented the vehicle). That said, this is a negotiation between buyer and seller. Up to them to find happiness...

CW

13. tom999p

tom999p Rookie

Nov 16, 2010
    I agree with craiginco- I've had bad experiences at FOD too AND I'LL TELL ANYBODY ABOUT IT WHO WANTS TO KNOW. To the guy that said that this thread should be deleted, if you can't stand the heat, then go buy a hyundai. These forums are specifically for the reason of posting differing opinions/experiences/etc, whether good or bad. I actually welcome the negatives of these threads because they help me to be more pro-active for future purchases/choices of my own.

And as the other guy said, I'm sure that there are plenty of other people who have had bad experiences with FOD who haven't been heard.

As craiginco said, the staff doesn't acknowledge that I exist when I walk in there, I have to ask around for help. I feel as if I'm already pre-judged before I even walk through the door because of the car I would pull up in and/or the clothes I wear.
    I will say though, that the service department staff (not the sales department staff) is very congenial. The majority of the bad experiences for me are incompetent mechanics. One quick example, I'm from New York (hence I trust NOBODY working on my cars and always double check their work, after getting ripped off many times at other places in New York, but when it comes to getting a Ferrari serviced, choices are VERY limited). So after my car was serviced, I drove it home and crawled around under it to see that the work I'd requested was, in fact done; and there, right in plain sight was a bolt, cross threaded, hanging diagonally 1/3 of the way out of the block. Well needless to say, I was pretty pissed off, especially because of the fact that this stripped item was not on a bolt on thing like a bracket, but was threaded directly into the block.
    This and two other bad experiences have made me stay away from FOD and perhaps even considering another make of car in the future (and hence another dealership).

So before spewing out the fact that you've had a wonderful experience at FOD and anyone who had a bad experience there is an idiot, I personally invite you to tuck your tie into your shirt and look under YOUR car to see if the work was done correctly, YOU MAY BE VERY SURPRISED AT WHAT YOU MIGHT FIND...........

14. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Passionate Thread

FWIW I have been going into FOD since they were on North Federal and I could not afford a valve cap much less a new or used Ferrari. Regardless, I was ALWAYS treated with courtesy and respect by the sales folks.

When they moved to County Line my GF and I would actually schedule FOD visits into our days off just to go drool and take pics of the cars and maybe pick up a shirt for her or poster/calendar. As time went on my position in life got to the point where I could actually start calculating and considering purchasing a 355 or 360. I spent many hours looking at various cars they got in and again, was always treated with respect and courtesy even when I passed on the cars. This year I got very serious and began working with Mark and Derek and attending some of the charity events as well as putting myself into a position where IF the right car came along I could move quickly on it. Derek would let me know when cars were coming in that fit my specs and price point but never pestered and always responded to me immediately with even the most inane questions.

In November Derek let me know of a car coming in on trade and frankly I blew off his email due to travel and busy times at work. Then I saw a description of the inbound car on the site in January and dug back to see that was the car he emailed me about in November. I made an appointment, checked out the car and started putting numbers together. As with any car deal some negotiation and work needed to be put in on both sides since I was trading in two vehicles for the Ferrari but both Mark and Derek spent time getting me the most for the trades and took a little off their car. Additionally, they had gone through the car, performed the major and misc other tweaks/repairs and found that the exhaust bypass was rattling. To be honest, I couldn't hear it and would have never known the difference but they offered me the option of covering the replacement of it in the negotiated price of the car or taking the price of the factory/original valve off should I want to go with an aftermarket system. I elected to go with the factory unit due to the originality of the car and they ordered it THAT DAY overnight even though I had not fully finalized the deal. When I took delivery of the Ferrari Derek had dug and found an original poster of my car, organized and cleaned all the manuals, installed Ferrari logo valve caps and provided me a pen set and 2010 yearbook. Mind you I did not buy a 599 or Scuderia but a lower-priced car so I thought this treatment before/during/after the sale was stellar.

Lastly, I asked that all the maintenance records be provided and expected a pile of paper - instead I got a chronologically-organized set of records in a binder three days after picking up the car. In looking through the DETAILED listing of what was done to the car to prepare it for sale it certainly appeared to me that many things were addressed that could have been left unattended and I did not feel the cost of the car was over-inflated to cover the additional work.

I agree there may have been a time where FOD was slumping a bit but all I can attest to is my recent experience and the way I have always treated when I probably should have been charged admission!!

Again - Just my experience and my opinion.

Cheers :)

15. Riskinator

Riskinator Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    North America
    When I lived in Denver I loved going to FofD occasionally. I bought my F430 Spider after I moved but I'd have no hesitation taking it to that dealer.

The only problem I have with the dealer is the silly write-ups on thier inventory website! Talk about amateur hour!!

16. SamM_02_575M

SamM_02_575M Karting

Mar 1, 2010
    CO
    Full Name:
    Sam M.
    ****This could a ware story but I felt obliged to write it…..sorry in advance***

I've bought my first Ferrari car from CA 18 months ago, a very nice low optioned example; when the Ferrari market was soft and I had a choice.
    I barley drove the car as I kept looking for my dream Ferrari the way I liked it.

Honestly, I was told not very good things about FOD; from service to sales; you name it I heard it and I was strongly cautioned to deal with them and deal with Steve Harris or FOC.

Well, late DEC,2010, I was in the market for a new supercar and my choices were SLS Gullwing or 458 Italia; I called Derek Fennig, put my cards on the table (not a good thing if you are in sales as some may take advantage of that). Derek looked around had a nice lightly used 458 example for me but since they are sold over premium the prices where super high for me.

FOD gave me good trade value and acceptable; but the deal fell through due to the high price paid on such a car; so Gullwing was my choice and went for it.

The Chase: Derek emailed me later that week and congratulated me on my SLS. He promised that my next Ferrari dream car wil be through him. Up until then I never visited their dealership even though I’m a stone-throw away from their showroom.

Early Sprint of 2011, Derek and John (Service Sup/consultant of FoD) are regulars at South Denver C&C. and the more I mingled with them and my other fellow car enthusiast; I found myself drawn to accelerate my new Ferrari acquisition from Derek and team.

One day, my friend Rachid who bought at least 4 cars from them (last purchase was 360 CS) urged me to go with him and visit FOD which I did; not only all the staff there treated me like they knew me for a long time; they’re also people who shared the passion (lots of conversation went around supercars….etc).

The Find:
    After doing extensive research, I found that a clean 08/09 Scud would be the ultimate Ferrari not the 458 (which either I have to wait 18 months or get slammed with a premium today); I was looking for a The True Ferrari Experience that meant to mirror what Ferrari was built for; definitely not luxury (as I know they are not the best at it)

The Deal:
    Even though it was months after we discussed trades; they still gave a fair deal from my trades (they actually found ways to help me maximize the value of my trades like you never believe) and kept looking until the right Scud example came along. Derek, Mark, John were all there to help educating me on the car and what to expect from keeping such a beast in my stable

It gets better; when the deal was made and the car was to be shipped, they actually told me that maybe after and a PPI, I may need to service the car; which could cost any where from $1-$2K (since it is very low miles car). The car came this week and John the Service Consultant told me that after a major PPI done on the car, the car needed NOTHING and no service needed at this point

They’re happier for the car than I was and made my FOD experience extremely professional and I’d say it was the best thus far.

I do believe that I was proven wrong “at first” judging them based on other people’s experience.

For me they were above and beyond, very passionate and patient (high end customer tend to be High Maintenance as well)

17. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    So Sam, when are you bringing your Scud to the GI meet? Next Sat? :)

18. SamM_02_575M

SamM_02_575M Karting

Mar 1, 2010
    CO
    Full Name:
    Sam M.
    I going to do my best, but the weather does not seem to look good .......

May 7th maybe a possibility Ronnie!!

19. rachidbaligh

rachidbaligh Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Rachid
    Sam, enjoy your Scuderia in good health!! I'm happy for you! On Monday I'm going to FoD to pick up the DP from John at service... You'll be happy dealing with him, he's the best!

20. SamM_02_575M

SamM_02_575M Karting

Mar 1, 2010
    CO
    Full Name:
    Sam M.
    THX Rachid.....CU Soon!!!