AUS - Ferrari of Austin - COTA Track Day - September Event | FerrariChat

AUS Ferrari of Austin - COTA Track Day - September Event

Discussion in 'Texas' started by VAF84, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Attending Ferrari of Austin Track Day @ COTA? - September 2020

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Anyone else attending the Ferrari of Austin Track Day later this month? My schedule may finally coincide, so I’ll FINALLY be able to drive my car on COTA. Something I’ve been trying to do for a while.

2. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Sadly I can't make this one but will be at COTA that weekend (9/26-27) with Chin. Going to COTA this weekend with Edge Addicts.

FoSA puts on a good event.

VAF84 likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I saw them send something on that event recently. I think it was geared towards advanced drivers. I feel I'm at least a little above average, but don't feel I qualify as an advanced driver on the track. Enjoy your track day, maybe I'll catch you at the next one.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Advanced generally means you don’t do anything stupid. Stick to the racing line. Be 100% predictable. Don’t freak out when a faster driver shows up in your rear view. Stick to the racing line. Watch the flags. Stick to the racing line. Know how to enter a hot track. Stick to the racing line. Develop your own zen. Stick to the racing line. Don’t do any weird braking. Let the really fast guys go. If you stick to the racing line, they will figure out how to safely pass you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VColin and VAF84 like this.
  5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Go out and have fun. 90% of the Ferrari guys at these events drive like the average novices at other events.

There are plenty of instructors there so you’ll learn a lot.

Go out there and drive it like you stole it not like you’re going to the country club!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

@Texas Forever I can definitely manage that, I just don't know what I don't know, so classified myself on the lower end, but I am familiar with all of that except entering a hot track. For that my best guess is accelerate safely into the left side and make your way to the right (assuming pit is on left).

@FCMD Don't have to worry about me driving like I stole it on the track :D.

7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    what's it cost for one of these days through FoSA?

couldn't find any info on their website

8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

$900 early bird sign up, add $100 after 9/18. Guests are and additional $90. Been working with Amanda Nguyen in case you want to try and reach her there.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've never been on COTA, but look at a track map. Typically, you entry through a pit lane onto a curve. Just hug inside or outside depending on where the entry is. Do not cut out into the middle. This is one thing you need to get clear on. On coming traffic should be able to see you and go around you as long as you stay on the line.

10. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    COTA is a fun track. I've done several AMG academies and a FoA event there. It's a fairly "sanitized" track with lots of runoff. Just don't do too many hot laps in succession. Brake fade on street cars can be an issue. With 3-4 very heavy braking zones, this can be an issue after 3-4 laps. Have fun!

11. CPBTX

CPBTX Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    CPB
    Was a very good day at the track yesterday. Weather was near perfect. 2 rather small run groups. Good pace, but no one pushing too hard. Met some very friendly folks. Had a great time!

jdlegg, Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Completely agree. Couldn’t have asked for a better track day! I’m not sure if we met while we were there, but I do remember two 812’s in my group, a dark grey one and another red one; was one of them you?

Regarding no one pushing too hard, it was probably hard for folks to notice me pushing hard being the oldest model Ferrari in the group :D. This was the first time I had a chance to push the car to the limit; or at lest the limit at which I am capable of driving it safely. Glad I had a fresh set of tires to keep me on the track!

13. CPBTX

CPBTX Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    CPB
    Not sure if we met, but I do remember seeing your 430. I was in the grey F12 (not 812), but yes, there was a red 812 in our group.

14. CPBTX

CPBTX Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    CPB
    Also, I remember you talking to Gren about the value of your car!

15. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I definitely remember the car, we were parked next to each other. Hope to recognize you if we run into each other again, however between all the masks and helmets it’s making placing faces and places difficult! I’ll PM you.