Ferrari Modulo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Modulo

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by El Wayne, Sep 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    WTF!!! uggghhh... of course MODULO

2. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Jim,

I'm so glad to see that you are rescuing another piece of PF history from museum life to a life of joy on the road and in shows! What a great collection of cars you have. The styling and bodywork of your cars are awesome. But, you've got to admit that you must be a glutton for punishment with all the 'Greenhouse' cars you own? That is unless you add a Super Duper A/C unit to make it road worthy? :D

Bill P.

NürScud likes this.
  3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Really cool. Cant imagine the face of the people driving around it!!

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Nuvolari and BJK like this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Do you have any more photos you could share? Coverage of Modulo at Pebble Beach was surprisingly thin. :(

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Thanks, nice pics.
    Magnus Walker checking it out in first pic

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    nice vid at Pebble Beach. see big Sal :) slide open and close canopy at 4:48

NürScud likes this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Jalopnik article
    https://jalopnik.com/thank-god-the-spaceship-ferrari-512s-modulo-wont-spend-1828837954

Comment and Response from Jim that it was not Jim Glickenhaus who actually restored Modulo:

"What’s really weird, as it keeps repeating itself as an issue, is how no outlet delves into the story enough to find out who ACTUALLY brought this car back from the dead. Yes, Glickenhaus is a patron of the automotive arts for funding this project, and he deserves the recognition.. however, it wasn’t him or his team who actually did the work. It wasn’t Pininfarina who made the “owner’s manual” powerpoint, got the engine to run, added the steering rack, and made it drivable. It was actually the team of Paolo Garella, the genius who oversaw many of the prototypes for the Sultan of Brunei who built the Modulo. Garella now knows owns a small but amazing automotive company in Turin Italy, called MAT (manifattura automobili Torino). MAT has incredible depth of knowledge and history in turning dreams into reality for other car companies.. they are the unassuming geniuses who actually made this all work!"
    http://www.manifatturaautomobilitorino.it/
    https://www.facebook.com/manifatturautomobilitorino/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdyXXSABbQuTgMqfyg4Cj_5WDxsqYjnFEFm7OfN-o0o80w%3AAdyxI-XVT-kaFPTj3RqWyYA5_QjQJf7SqlAR3N7Zjgvsaw
    "The MAT team are also the guys behind Glickenhaus’ SCG003 cars and many other cars like the Apollo IE. This team are also the guys behind the new Stratos car which i was able to drive during Pebble Beach... a ****ing amazing machine in it’s own right."
    "There is a lot more to the story I could explain, but this isn’t the place. Just wanted to point out that if a magazine, like road and track, jalopnik, or any of the other publications is going to do a story on a car, it shouldn’t be a puff piece with glaring omissions of key information... like.. who ACTUALLY BUILT THE CAR!"

Jim's response;
    "Sal Barone who has managed my collection and restored all of my cars for over 40 years was project leader on Modulo’s restoration. He was in charge. He used several sources to help him. MAT was simply one of them. MAT had nothing to do with getting Modulo’s engine to run again. Sal and Sport Auto Modena did that. MAT did not make the owners manual. That was made by Sal in our facility. I could go on. Sal was in total charge. He alone decided who to use to help him. "

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #41 miurasv, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Link to MAT's web site re Modulo: http://www.manifatturaautomobilitorino.it/modulo-2/ Is Glickenhaus trying to diminish MAT's role?

Notice also what MAT say about the front wheels being extremely difficult to steer because of the body panels covering them yet Glickenhaus says the steering issue is myth. Can you see where the front tyres have been rubbing against the spats in some of the pics and videos?

12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Easy to explain if there were spacers in the front axles that would have pushed the tyres into contact with the body, done no doubt to make it look good on the show stands.

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I believe JG has said there were spacers that he has now had removed.

14. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    So the steering issue probably is a myth without the spacers which would also affect ground offset and hence steering effort.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #45 miurasv, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Could well be but would MAT mention the steering being an issue when if it was just a case of just removing the spacers it's a non issue really. Removing spacers is hardly a hard engineering exercise for MAT to comment on as an example of their problem solving. How far can the wheels now turn with the spacers removed? There is no question that the car can turn as can be seen in the videos but can it turn enough with the spat body panels in place for it to have a safe and normal turning circle?

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Anyone who has the opportunity to meet and spend 5 minutes talking to Sal Barone will understand immediately he is absolutely an authority on vintage sports and racing cars, particularly of the italian variety. His credentials speak for themselves, as does the quality of his craftsmanship. No wonder, as he learned his trade from Alberto Pedretti. I have no doubt he is better prepared than anyone at MAT to head the restoration and conversion of Modulo to roadworthiness - that includes Garella.

The MAT in Turin garage is a lot nearer to where the majority of parts & most appropriate craftsmen & information for this kind of restoration are located than the outskirts of NYC. Seeing as MAT is contracted to SCG in order to build and work on the other modern cars, it would make sense for them to rent out space for Glickenhaus & Sal to work on Modulo. Hell, why not have some of their very experienced craftsmen work on the car, too? After all, they were probably paid a hefty sum for the work. Lucky too, although not all must think so, as it seems by the comment on Jalopnik that some think they were being shortchanged.

BJK likes this.
  17. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Seems to steer fine in the videos looking at the way it handles the t junction in one of the videos, What would you consider a safe turning circle?

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #48 miurasv, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Did it have the wheel panels on in the t junction video? I saw it in one video where you don't see it actually complete a right turn it starts at a t junction.

19. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Yes panels on and initiated the turn fine, so the video stops a little short big deal the car looks to turn fine. I would not be wanting to park a priceless one off car half way out into the road. I suspect all Jim has done is added a bit more rack travel to improve on the base racecar set-up.

Boomhauer and BJK like this.
  20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #50 miurasv, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    From when being driven on the lawn at Pebble Beach I am told that the car was seen to have limited turning circle and the front wheels were seen hit the bodywork also.