Ferrari Investment | FerrariChat

Ferrari Investment

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DimKouk, Jul 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DimKouk

DimKouk Rookie

Jul 4, 2021
    Bern, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Dimitrios Koukopoulos
    Hey guys.. I am planning to buy a ferrari as an investment. Primarily between 458 Speciale or 575M Manual. Which one do you think has more potential to appreciate in price? And if you have another suggestion in this price range please let me know.
    Many thanks in advance…

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Buy a Ferrari for the purpose of driving it and enjoying it.

legendd, LARRYH, WJHMH and 12 others like this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sure, look up ticker RACE. It's up 5x in 5 years. Better than any Fcar in that period.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Given this is a seller's market and stick shift gets crazy numbers, I am not sure this is the proper time to buy for investment - that goes for homes as well

But that being said - the 575m stick would be my pick - less electronics - v12 always / mostly seem to bring more appreciation

5. DimKouk

DimKouk Rookie

Jul 4, 2021
    Bern, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Dimitrios Koukopoulos
    thanks a lot.. appreciate it

paulchua likes this.
  6. DimKouk

DimKouk Rookie

Jul 4, 2021
    Bern, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Dimitrios Koukopoulos
    that is always the purpose.. but if i can combine joy and invest at the same time then why not..

paulchua and cy0811 like this.
  7. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    my brother in law has a literally like new 575M manual with 3800 miles in LA. You might be able to coerce him into a sale, if you're serious...but it aint going to be cheap

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rampante550, mj1214 and anunakki like this.
  8. DimKouk

DimKouk Rookie

Jul 4, 2021
    Bern, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Dimitrios Koukopoulos
    thanks for the offer but i live in Switzerland.. so it pretty complicated to import a car from USA. But what is the selling price? I would like to compare with Swiss. If you want to share the price of course.

cy0811 likes this.
  9. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Got for the manual gated shifter it’s what most people want in a Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mimmo Blue and DimKouk like this.
  10. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    He’s not sure about selling it but said if a solid (current market) offer came he might consider. We are talking to Mike (yellow compass) to discuss pricing.

11. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Ferrari as investment and also driving the car are mutually exclusive. In general anyone looking to purchase a Ferrari as an investment wants the lowest mileage. This rules out driving. I know nothing about your financial situation but I would not look at the models you are looking at as an investment that will have significant growth in the years ahead. If you can afford a Ferrari with no debt then buy the model that you like, drive it and enjoy with no regrets on the mileage as it adds up. For the rest of your money I would invest elsewhere.

PS These cars go better and give less problems the more you drive them.

LARRYH, Solid State, DimKouk and 6 others like this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    there could be all sorts of problems with classic cars in the future, but it depends on when you're thinking of selling

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Neither car mentioned is on the collectible path currently.....the Speciale might be someday, but they made a lot of them. I am very wary of cars where the only collectible feature is a type of transmission. Then you have the 550, all of them being manuals which is close to being the same car.

Want a truly collectible Ferrari that you can also drive without a mileage penalty? Try a Boxer, or a Daytona. Another option, 550 Barchetta, a numbered special edition.

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    + 1.000.000 on the 550 "Barchetta"; a gorgeous car which would be my pick.
    I would need to sell my soul to the devil to buy one, but it would probably not bring enough money. An eternal regret.

Rgds

sixcarbs likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I hear the inflation is causing the Devil to offer higher prices for souls, so you may be able to buy a Barchetta after all.

kes7u likes this.
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    250's and 330GTC are good investments. 458's - doubtful any real investment potential. maybe a couple of thousands here and there. 288 & F-40's seem pretty good... otherwise - buy the stock.

Shark01, anunakki and Llenroc like this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am not an expert at this at all but i do have an opinion :D

First, is we are experiencing inflation and its only going to get worse. How does the collectible car market do during these times?

Personally I think now is the time to wait.

But if one must buy then I wouldnt even have the 458 Speciale on this list. The ones that seem good to me are the 575 3 pedal and the Boxer as well as the 360 Challenge Stradale.

boxerman likes this.
  18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think it depends on "investment" - what that is defined as? From what I see - none of the current cars are going to double in price - any time soon or in 20 + years unless there is a seismic change in the car biz - ie 100% electric - but that bring its own issues for future classic cars.

the cars with known provenance - and ones that are considered "art" - 250 GTO, LM's TR's etc.. cars from the 60's - where there are just no new ones coming on board - then those will stay as investments. as for new cars? I wish they would go up... but doubtful.

19. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    did you consider 430 manual?

testarossa or 512 might not be a bad buy either, but the maintenance might outweigh the potential gains--maybe break even?

diablo might not be a bad option either, might cost a lot to maintain though

20. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    you thinking about the investing???

I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
    Are you listening?
    Plastics.
    There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?

ScottS, ross and alex like this.
  21. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Have you seen the prices lately? The time to buy a Speciale was last year.

sixcarbs and DimKouk like this.
  22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    switzerland has the cheapest prices anywhere, so just look there.
    as far as investment potential, the winds can change quickly.....i think the speciale is the last modern ferrari worth owning, so it would be my pick of your two choices.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This is a great suggestion, not only a great car to drive but there are variants that are very rare (in the hundreds, like a '60s Ferrari).

Yes they are $5k a year to maintain correctly, but you will get every cent back and more. But hell, my DD Ford Escape depreciates more than $5k a year.

DimKouk likes this.
  24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Gas powered cars are going to be worthless in 20 years. They are not a long term investment anymore. Buy it because you want it.

Bullfighter likes this.
  25. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    If you want to go green DO NOT buy an EV.

LARRYH likes this.