Ferrari FF vs Panamera TurboS | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF vs Panamera TurboS

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I know there can be maintenance issues - been there before - but in this case paid about $1,800 to Mercedes that bumped the full warranty to 75,000 miles and I have a really good dealer nearby

2. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Completely agree. Ferrari did a great job with the styling.

We all know that the stylists don't have a free hand. There are many compromises they have to make to satisfy the mechanics, to satisfy the marketing department, to satisfy the regulators, to satisfy the production engineers. With all that, Ferrari managed to make something truly beautiful with the FF. But still, it is a 4 seater. If I had to choose just one contemporary Ferrari I would not choose a 4 seater (I would choose the F12 every day of the week). But that doesn't take anything away from the aesthetic achievement that the FF is.

But then again, I thought the M Roadster was a really great design.

3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    The shooting brake M Roadster was a killer design. Some hated it...and those people were WRONG!!

All jokes aside, I didn't fully 'get' the FF until I saw one in person-then it all came together quick...then again what do I know-I drive a 308 Dino and there are all sorts of opinions on how these look!

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The 308 Dino is very a interesting car. It reflects the "edgy" design school that was so influential in the 70s but as far as I know it was the first to feature the flying buttresses that became a mainstay of design for mid engined Ferrari road cars. You also see the bonnet with its aggressive grills in the 12 cylinder Boxers -- the 365GT4 BB and the 512BB. I'm pretty sure it was a Bertone design. It sure looks like it.

5. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Bertone to the core! All the 'wedge' cars of the era are recognizable with the angular styling of what the future was going to look like. You can see the influence even in the early starwars movies-No doubt Lucas had some say in that being a car guy. I know I bought into it as a little kid looking at cars just like mine

Of course the FF is 3x more powerful and I'm told it's much more convenient on ski trips (no joke, I've wanted to drive an FF in the snow for yrs!)

6. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Ah yes. The wedge. I once owned the ultimate expression of the wedge -- a 1977 Lotus Esprit. It resembles the Dino though the Esprit was a Giugiaro design. I think it may have been the worst car I ever owned. :(

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry to hear that. Really cool looking cars. I see one parked at our local exotic shop all the time.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    But the Lotus was a submarine for James Bond :)

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    that is the best post i've ever read. simple and accurate. exotics have always pretty much sucked in everything but looks. recently that has begun to change but even today if you had to have just one car, it wouldn't be an exotic....(and i'm not talking about the luggage space!)

10. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Yes, I am resisting the test drive, for exactly those types of concerns...

The wife comment is of particular interest. FF vs. GF. Hmmmn.

I cant get the FF out of my mind. Oh dear...

11. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I would agree the GTS is kind of a dark horse in the line up and is often overlooked as people tend to move from the S to the turbo although the NA tuned v8 is the sweet spot IMO. I just bought a new italia for the weekends/track etc so I thought the combo of the AWD 4 door v8 Pani to drive as a daily was a good compliment. I'll look forward to seeing the FF tomorrow. I guess I have other options for a daily too if I find it too irresistible as mentioned above from Rick:)

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Tell us how the test drive goes. One thing to do for certain, full power beginning a left turn like getting off an expressway, stopping and turning left to get on another highway ... BE CAREFUL though ... and feel the front end being PULLED around the corner :). Do NOT turn off the ESC!!! Electronic stability control is there for a reason, to keep the car in one piece when we get stupid. I see the TV hosts turning it off all the time and wonder why the car goes sideways, they are idiots.

Remember that the exhaust bypass opens about 3,000 rpm so keep it above 3K :D when you can, and in Sport mode which will keep it open. Mash the shock absorber button on the steering wheel and the shocks will be in the Comfort mode while everything else is in Sport. If the accelerator sensitivity is too harsh for you, switch to Comfort and it will be much better.

:) Then tell us how much you want for your other cars, your house, and your girlfriend :D

13. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Adding a couple of things:
    -- Yes, those electronic doo-dads are there to help make sure we end up back in the garage at night, not in a ditch.
    -- In my '14 the exhaust valves open at 2500 RPM. So cruising at 80-85 mph, you can turn them on/off just by switching the mannetino setting.
    -- The transmission shifting algorithm is much more aggressive in Sport mode. In Comfort, it takes its time to make for smoothness. In Sport it is faster. But even within Sport mode, the computer will adjust its shifting protocol depending on your throttle application. If you are accelerating hard, the computer says, "Let's rock and roll," and shifting becomes very aggressive. If you are more lazy in your acceleration, it will adjust accordingly. It is really quite remarkable..

14. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I need to stop reading this thread. Makes me really want an FF again. :)

John

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    You are getting closer!

16. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    Rick,extra cyls and displacment=more fun

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #117 PhilNotHill, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    I too am resisting a test drive of the FF...afraid I might love it. MY wife thinks they look great.

Drove a Panamera Turbo. The salesman said: aren't you going a little too fast!

OK I was doing 70 mph on the big sweeping on ramp (speed limit was 40) and had no sense that the car was going that fast. Too antiseptic for me. Felt isolated from the driving experience. I am looking for cars that are FUN to drive. the Pcar was not fun. And it is not a very good looking car IMVHO.

So we ordered an Audi S4 with a manual transmission and we love it. Great for trips and great in the snow. Took it to Sedona Arizona in the spring and just got back from a trip to Las Vegas->Dana Point CA->Monterey CA->Napa CA->Lake Tahoe CA>-Salt Lake City UT->Aspen.

with the 458 I would have to store the FF in summer and continue to store the 458 in winter. I have a 2 car garage and 4 cars.
    And I do not really want another car I have to take to Denver for service (3.5 hrs away).

Life is good indeed!

18. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Ha Ha! The poor sales guy probably saw "The Light" :)

19. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Well I'm back and the FF is a true beast. Loved it and even against the F12 it was brilliant. I think my Italia or the speciale I saw as well obviously corners much better and faster (ie on a track) but in real world situations I assume its hard to beat. Now what color to get????

20. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Right. The FF doesn't give away much dry pavement performance, and of course foul weather performance is superb. And this in a large 4000 lb car that can carry lots of stuff with a very high level of refinement. (Even the leather is thicker. :) )

There will be lots of people to chime in on color. That is the fun part.

21. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Denver won't come pick it up for you?

SV

22. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I was looking at getting a new FF but ultimately decided on the California T. If I were to get the FF, personally, I'd have chosen black or white. Rosso Corsa can look cool, too, with the right wheels, lowered, etc. IMO.

Other colors I love are Tour De France blue, and one of the darker silvers (can't remember which at the moment).

23. jseoct

jseoct Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    Westport, CT
    Full Name:
    John Seo
    Ordered my 2015 FF last week. Verde British Racing (w/ beige interior). Upon hearing via text message I got a green Fcar, one of my sons' friends replied with "og", which my son explained means "original gangster." Haven't had time to look that up in an urban dictionary, but I believe it means I obviously got the color I liked!

Still love my 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, but the FF offers a completely different driving experience, as well covered in posts on this forum. Many thanks to all posters here for helping me make my final decision to buy my first Fcar.

-K1- likes this.
  24. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Congrats on the incoming car John! Nice color choice, too!

25. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #125 Noblesse Oblige, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    I love BRG. It will be great in the FF which is more elegant and formal than the smaller sports cars. And the beige int. will be a knockout. Normally beige leather is sensitive to wear in Ferraris but FFs have thicker leather. Be careful with it tho.