Ferrari FF vs Panamera TurboS | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF vs Panamera TurboS

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Nope, I've been a PCA member for 29 years and there is nothing like a Ferrari!

2. mr_tony

mr_tony Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I drove the PTTS when looking, as well as the Rapide S and Conti GT speed.
    All are great cars in their own way, but the Ferrari just felt way more alive. The next most impressive was the Rapide S, it's exciting to drive and really flows on the road, but the interior sucks and the rear space is not really usable for kids in car seats...

The Panamera is not a looker, and though it's fairly quick, it doesn't seem composed on UK roads when you push it. Pretty practical though, if you don't have a truck / 4x4 then it would be easier to live with than an FF as a 'main' car..

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Coming off a 700 drive across the desert in the FF the day before yesterday, the telling point I think is that I am still telling people about it. Am still coming down from it. I would not do that if I had taken a Panamera TT, excellent though it is.

4. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Tell us more about it please, your 700...

5. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #80 Noblesse Oblige, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually 850 miles altogether, 700 in one day. Across the Sonoran Desert from California to Colorado, using both interstates and deserted desert twisty two-laners. Altitude ranged from -300 ft to +8000 ft. Max speed on the trip computer was 128 mph; average was 81. Gas mileage topped at close to 18 mpg on one tankful; bottomed at 14 for the most aggressive run.

Three gas stops and one Border Patrol checkpoint. The BP guys were interested, but they quickly learned that the rear of the FF is a tough place to hide an illegal. "Can it go fast," one asked. "It can," I said (smile), "when they let me." "We don't mind," was the response. I left the scene with a run through the first 4 gears at 3/4 power (after due consideration not to get on the throttle until clearing the check point). The Novitec exhaust makes for a fairly insane roar, so I imagine the BP guys could hear it well down the road.

One of the gas stops attracted a bunch of kids. They wanted to see the engine, and you know the kind of reaction that gets. I explained the workings of the front drive system. They were just delighted to be around the car.

Only one guy on the road wanted to run with me -- a big GMAC SUV. A tortoise and hare situation. I would let him catch up, then leave the scene -- making for the 128 mph max speed entry. Nothing serious.

Overnighted at an economy motel... the kind you can drive up to your room door. About a half dozen Harleys also put up there. One of the guys asked, "Is this your Ferrari?" "It is," I responded. "I'm good with it," said he. Always like interacting with bikers... a solid lot.

Power was down at high altitudes. Not dramatically but quite noticeable; I'd guess more than 10% down but less than 20%. This is where the TT cars excel. Of course we also had about 400 lb of gear and wife on board so that was a factor.

At the end the FF (affectionately monikered "White Runner") still looked clean though we had run through a local storm or two. Wife and I arrived refreshed and regretting the end of the trip. This is what these cars were made for.

Here is White Runner when clean
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LussoV12fan likes this.
  6. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Fabulous, thank you... Particularly like the part about the BP saying "we don't mind..." and the Harley rider...

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    "700" sounds wonderful. Thankd for taking the time.

8. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Great story and great car. Love the picture. With all due respect to the Panamera, you just can't compare it to the FF in the looks department. Shooting brake!

9. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    How do people get door dings in cars that cost 400k+ at some point? What is going through that persons mind? Oh Ferrari, slam!??? It is crazy nerving for me to even think about.

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Zero door dings ... after 29,000 miles in my 2010 Cali, 22,000 miles in my current 2012 Cali, and 40,000+ miles in my FF. And I park in regular parking spaces everywhere. I even saw a little old blue hair lady pull in, take a look, then pull out to another space because she knew she was stupid enough to slam her door into something special. It was funny.

Yes I'm still a little nervous when I park at Walmart or at a restaurant because I never park in the sticks, I park with everyone else, but people have paid attention thankfully.

11. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    If cost is a big factor take a look at some preowned Pans and compare that to a preowned FF-especially if you feel the performance and 'looks' in general are anywhere near close

That said, I personally think the FF is a killer design and really am not a fan of the pan's design

12. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    +1

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Both designs are polarizing. I like the Panamera over the FF by a big margin but opinions vary and both designs evoke powerful responses. Performance between the FF and Panamera TTS are about idential with the Panamera Turbo S half the price. Considering the Panamera Turbo S drive is just as boring and uninspired as the Turbo, I'd opt for the Panamera Turbo at half again or a quarter the price of the FF. I have zero doubt in my mind though that were I to drive an FF, I would not find it boring and uninspired in the least. Opinions do not vary on the FF drive. Pick your poison. If you happen to like FF looks and have the budget, your choice is easy.

14. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I have inherited a Panamera S. I cannot speak to the turbo or Turbo S, but I can say I absolutely hate this car. It is soul suckingly boring. When I think this car cost $118,000 and the cars available for this price I just get angry. Its styling is terrible, and it just is an absolute yawn to drive. It has zero feel, no Porsche DNA. The transmission is terribly slow. I love cars, almost all cars. I have even enjoyed economy cars, but this car for its price, style, and feedback is just an abortion.

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Panamera Turbo S is an outstanding and luxurious people mover, but soul suckingly boring sums it up well. I got out on a local stretch of highway where it's pretty easy to stop in the middle of the road and punch it. Did that a few times 0-70, 0-80, 0-90, 0-100. Was like taking an elevator.

Now a Cayenne Turbo S, that's a different story. That's a hellaciously fun ride.

16. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I find it hard to give up the instant sped available if I'm at around 5,000. It's only in open spaces I'll let it cruise. Stop and go on the 405, 5, 10, 101? I want my quick acceleration so as not to get cutoff.

17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Too loud to cruise at high revs as well, I might add.

18. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Lol, PCA member with a GT3 and a GT3RS agrees wholeheartedly with you. I love my RS, and I love my Speciale, but nothing beats the Ferrari in the overall experience. Have the Cali 30 too and find I'm driving it more than all my other cars: 12C, etc.

19. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I'm sorry, there's no such thing as too loud, lol.

20. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    This is sadly true. However the GTS is everything you expect in a Porsche with a NA v8 that sounds and responds great. I actually preferred it over the Turbo (didn't drive the turbo s) for my daily and have put 18,000 miles in the last year. I've never been a huge fan of turbos and am quite nervous for the paradigm shift in the next Ferrari, buts that's off topic....

To be honest I never considered the FF for a daily as I wanted 4 doors and initially I hated the look, but I have to admit this thread and all the other discussions/reviews I've seen lately have me intrigued, but the depreciation is off the charts so what am I missing? Regardless, I'll be checking out the FF this week in person...maybe it will be a nice addition and I'll sell the GTS???

21. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Do NOT go for a test drive! You will sell all the rest of the cars, house, and wife if necessary to get the FF.

22. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Much has been said about the styling. Interestingly it gets rave reviews from people who are not "programmed" to expect a certain "look" in an exotic car. I personally think it looks great from many angles, with one or two angles being a bit questionable. Overall a great job on a modern 4 seat V12 4WD.

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, I think I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with this.

24. NDO

NDO Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think it might be a mistake to trade in the GTS.
    Having both cars I can say they complement each other, they do not replace each other IMHO.
    FF is pure emotion, design, power , sound, uniqueness, it make you feel special every time as many say.
    The GTS is an incredible machine too.
    The GTS is a better daily driver, but cannot replace the FF for the other reasons we all know so well.
    I do not think people realize how different the GTS is from the turbo.
    Has the same looks and nice lines specially the 2014 in addition to the fun of great sound, decent power and the NA engine.
    Anyway best of luck on your decision.

25. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #100 raider1968, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Piper
    Have you ever looked at a Mercedes ML 550 - 404 stock hp, 0-60 in 5.2 - drives like a sports car - GT - honestly - full of features and best cell interface I have ever experienced - can't tell a person is talking on it
    Image Unavailable, Please Login