Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by PhantomCypher, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Or just disconnect ( remove ) it from the system and see what happens... LoL

S

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Wouldn't it be great if that's easily done?! Someone was asking about that a few months ago. It will pretty much turn it into a F12.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Doubt thats possible. Will likely give all kinds of errors and the traction control system will likely be inoperable. Ferrari spent thousands of hours developing the electronics, etc for the FF taking the algorithms from F1.

4. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Update from dealership:

They have the PTU on order, and on its way to the Ferrari dealer. They're hoping like to see the part tomorrow (past Friday), but it will probably be Monday before it arrives. Once it arrives they have one and a half days worth of work to do. A realistic ETA for having the car done is going to be on Wednesday.

The part alone according to the SA is $18,000 alone. This doesn't include the parts and labor they have already spent to determine it was PTU issue for the front. The entire system is over $30,000 to replace in parts alone if something goes south.

For everyone asking for the dealership name. I'll reserve that until after the shakeout. Let's see how they handle this.

Got my loaner swapped to a Maserati Levante to change it up a bit.

We're heading into Week 4 for the car being in the dealership continuously. I'm very anxious to see it back in my hands and strongly contemplating buying the 2 year extended warranty at this point. If you're out of warranty; I'd be extremely wary at this point driving an FF as a daily.

5. PhantomCypher

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Three of the 7 gears are in the front PTU so that's just not possible unless you want to only have 4 working gears on a 350k+ car....

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    geez FF ptu is gonna be equivalent to the 355 valves....

7. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Huh? The rear is a standard 7speed dual clutch, the front first second and reverse only. Is that not correct?

350MH83 likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with that question. As I understand it: The mechanical layout is like any other Ferrari where you have the front engine, then propshaft to the rear mounted transmission. The PTU is next to the engine in the front and it can transfer power from the engine to the front wheels, individually even. It has its own 2 speed gearbox. This allows the PTU to remain connected to the front wheels at rotational speeds equivalent to max RPM in 4th gear. From there on out (5,6,7 forward gears) you are driving a RWD only vehicle. Thats how I understand it. Of course, no PTU probably results in all sorts of unhappy electronic issues but I don't think the PTU houses any of the gearing for the RWD portion of the system.

PhantomCypher and deltona like this.
  9. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Doesn't lemon apply after 4 weeks at the shop?

10. PhantomCypher

May 25, 2014
    USA
    In Arizona I believe Lemon Law is 30 continuous days in the shop.

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Forgive the ignorance... what is a PTU?

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's the front wheels gearbox (PTU standing for Power Transfer Unit or whatever).

13. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Even though the PTU only has two foward gears, it uses two clutch packs to match the output speeds of the the first four gears of the rear transmission. After fourth gear the car is rear drive only. This is what allows the PTU to be so small. You can pick it up with two hands.

14. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    And to my understanding there is no reverse on the PTU. Just 2 forward gears. The first one is slightly taller than 2nd gear on the rear gearbox, the second one is slightly taller than 4th gear on the rear gearbox, but shorter than 5th, that's why it cannot be engaged above 4th gear.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fascinating technical discussion!

16. PhantomCypher

May 25, 2014
    USA
    From Wikipedia on the Ferrari FF page:

:This gearbox (designated "power take off unit", or PTU) has only two forward gears (2nd and 4th) plus reverse (with gear ratios 6% taller than the corresponding ratios in the main gearbox), so the system is only active in 1st to 4th gears. The connection between this gearbox and each front wheel is via independent haldex-type clutches, without a differential.[17] "

UPDATE:

Car is up on lift and is about 1/3 of the way on the PTU replacement. They need another day or so.

Dealer anticipates the car should be ready tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    This is worrisome. Hopefully Ferrari will come up with ways to field-service this PTU.

18. PhantomCypher

May 25, 2014
    USA
    21ATS likes this.
  19. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Thanks for the uodate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. PhantomCypher

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Saga continues with no end in sight.

Latest update is that there is an issue with the wiring harness that came with the new PTU. Dealer is working with Ferrari on a solution.
    Translation: Basically the car isn't going to be fixed and we don't know what's wrong.

All of this on a 2015 FF with barely 11k miles!

At what point do I contact Ferrari and ask for compensation for the continuous loss of use of my car?

21. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    What is wrong with the harness?

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002