Ferrari F355 (Weight Reductions: Parts Weight) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F355 (Weight Reductions: Parts Weight)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rothbauer_Racing, Jun 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    I just received a rear bumper from Prosport in UK
    weight with brackets and bolts is 15 lbs, it's 7 lbs lighter than a Challenge bumper, but still in glass fiber composite.
    Still didn't find any in carbon.
    I found here on fchat an address in the US but no reply...

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    pics? Inside and out?

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It's been a while but.... any current supplier for those? ^ Forgot how chunky those undertrays were.

ShineKen likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My super early nero 95 had the 1-piece center undertray. Most of the undertray on that car is fiberglass. Wasn’t heavy at all, but paper thin and flimsy. Shoddy fiberglass quality imo.

I believe my rosso 355 has a full plastic under tray. I’ve only pulled the rear diffuser, not the rest of it, so I have no idea if they are heavy or not. I can’t imagine them being that heavy.

There are a variety of suppliers for the rear diffuser in carbon, however, I don’t believe anyone has ever made the rest of it in carbon. Carbon would definitely be an upgrade over my fiberglass undertrays, but it probably isn’t beneficial over the plastic undertrays for durability reasons.

I spent alot of time repairing my entire fiberglass undertray pieces to near perfection. They were pretty beat and would easily get beat up again. Would be a waste not to have someone attempt to pull a mold and have carbon pieces made. In the same token, mine is also a 1 piece center. It’s a big mofo.

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes mine is 2 piece and fiberglass. Will check again but I think the center piece was 26lbs? I mean, the stuff wasn't out of hand based on fiberglass construction, just seemed a bit heavy overall vs what they could be in carbon.

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Are your rear diffusers fiberglass or plastic?

If your undertrays are made the same way as mine, I’d be surprised if it was that heavy. I didn’t way mine because it’s too large, cumbersome, and flaps down due to flimsyness, so it was hard to get an accurate weigh. 26 lbs is the weight of a Tubi muffler. I doubt it weighed that much.

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes I was wrong, 26lbs was for the center and front undertrays together. Center tray 19lbs, front tray 7lbs.

My diffusers are fiberglass.

ShineKen likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That's still heavier than I thought. When you say front tray, you are referring to the 3 front pieces together correct?

9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The front tray only would be 7 pounds not including the side under bumper trays.
    The under-trays as a combined total is quite heavy for what it is.

INTMD8 and ShineKen like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'll weigh what I have out from my nero 355 (very early 95).

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Are your front side pieces (small left and right trays) plastic or fiberglass? I remember on my red car they were plastic, while on my nero car, they are fiberglass.

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No just the center/front tray. I haven't removed the side pieces. Those are fiberglass as well.

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Interesting. Double-check on the side pieces. They might look fiberglass from underneath, but if you look from the inside (top side) it should reveal they are plastic.

14. Piana69

Piana69 Rookie

Aug 13, 2022
  15. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    It will

It will but good luck if they have them in stock. They been saying the same supply chain issues since covid even though it seems covid causes are long behind.

16. Flynt

Flynt Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    I know the bumpers are made-to-order. I'm pretty sure all the carbon body parts they offer are as well.
    Doors, bumpers, and front hood would be the biggest weight savers, in that order. Also that order in terms of safety reduction..