Ferrari Enzo #399 of #399 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Enzo #399 of #399

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by SupercarGuru, Feb 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    That boggles the mind. How could 5 cars have the same VIN? What would happen if 2 cars tried to register in the same state? Crazy.

elmadi likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'm not commenting on the moral standing of car factories, but what I am saying is POST-PRODUCTION cars happen. Welcome to the world of Ferrari et al.

elmadi likes this.
  3. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Yes, I agree with you on that. :)

4. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    The label "post-production" sounds like an attempt to legitimize the behavior of making extra cars.

Nobody likes a semantics argument, save perhaps a semantician. :)

5. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Exactly, why the first and original owner of car #399 got extremely upset when car #400 was produced...

6. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I personally think that NOW and years from now it will not matter. The demand will increase for Ferrari supercars globally as more millionaires and billionaires are made every day. Through emerging markets etc these cars as a whole will ONLY increase in value.

Imagine what happens when vintage cars are allowed in China? When there is a market to actually "collect" cars...

Irregardless if there is a economic downturn in China...Hold on to your horses.

elmadi likes this.
  7. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    So if I put up my Enzo for sale in 50 years and some other guy says my Enzo can't be genuine because he also has an Enzo with the same S/N and can prove it, you don't think that would affect the value of the car?

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    All of this adds to the story. As long as it's an authentic supercar from Ferrari, you can bet it will appreciate handsomely, all other things being equal. And all other things are not holding steady, but moving in a direction that will increase the demand. So the prices will climb even higher as the market size increases. Whether it's 399 or 450, the total made is a small number compared to the demand. Which is projected to increase.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Post-production cars are very common in the Automotive industry!

By your analogy, clearly Ferrari are semamticians, and they might take that as a compliment.

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yep! :D

11. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    But that's my point. How can you prove authenticity 50 years from now when the people that actually built the car are dead and there's only records for 1 S/N? You can't have 2 sets of records for the same S/N, so someone is going to have to lose out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

12. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    This reminds of the book "The Lost Spyder".....great read if you haven't.

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Perhaps someone can quantify the production differences between "production" and "post-production" ??

Is there something tangibly different about the production process itself? Or is it nothing more than defining a point-in-time, at which "production" ends and "post-production" begins?

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good question.

As I understand it, "production" cars are those built to original spec in the quantity planned by the manufacturer. This means the manufacturer accepts orders from their dealer network to fulfill the planned amount of cars. The cars are built systematically & continuously on a planned production line until the planned amount are completed. Then the production line is closed. In the case of the Enzo the intended amount was clearly stated per the plaques in the cars.

As I understand it, "post-production" cars are as the name suggests: cars built AFTER the planned production number has been completed. Accordingly, post-production cars are not due to orders caused by the dealer network, but rather are built to satisfy a number of extenuating circumstances, usually at special request and always at the discretion of the manufacturer - eg: cars built to replace crashed cars, VIP client requests, and on & on. These cars are not built systematically & continuously on a planned production line, but rather are built randomly as the factory sees fit. Accordingly their specification could vary slightly. There is no intended amount with post-production cars, and, there is generally one reason they are built by its profit-making manufacturer at the end of the day - monetary.

As regards numbers, Ive always borne in mind what the late great T.C Browne once said: "There are lies, damned lies, and then there are car manufacturer's statistics". Of course, he was not referring to any one particular car company. I try and take it all with a pinch of salt.

15. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    historians, record keeping, lore. Take your pic.

Or, don't buy one. See how easy it is? Just. Don't. Buy.

Done.

Btw, there's a saying about there being no stupid questions. It's wrong.

16. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Do the 'post production' Enzo's also have the 1 of 399 plaque?

In the case of the Enzo, was the production line closed immediately after the 399th customer car?

elmadi likes this.
  17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yes.

No.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I heard somewhere that there was a 288 done in this fashion? Something about an interesting character that became friends with Enzo at a young age.

19. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for confirming.

20. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Regards the 288, I guess 'post production' by the definition applied above is once the Group B requirement of 200 homologated road cars had been met.

Most manufactures made 200 road and 50 race. Although demand for Ferrari's (and Porsche's 959) road offering exceeded the FIA requirement.

21. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Being told the car will be delivered to Miami around June 10th. (+/-)

Patiently waiting...

22. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    UPDATE:

Apparently the USA Spec Exhaust catalyst parts are on back-order from Ferrari. After contacting Ferrari directly I am being told the delay could be pretty long.

Patience.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You are the test-case for bringing a Eu/ROW Enzo into compliance in the USA, and clearly it is no smaller matter in terms of both cost & time!

elmadi likes this.
  24. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Just saw this Joe, THANK YOU! It has been quite the project.

25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    So far so good...but please can someone explain to me why the seatbelts and ECU (for ECU is probably for the emissions)? Did Enzo has 4points seatbelts?

Thank you in advance.

elmadi likes this.