Ferrari depreciation? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Ferrari depreciation?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by alx355gt, Dec 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    The repair bill on a 355 might be a lot higher! Those cars are not cheap to maintain.

2. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Alex,
    I know for 100% sure that you do'nt hate Ferrari's. But remember the guy with the Maserati. And I don't like the idee that this will happen to you.Rob

3. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    That's a very good point Rob! :)
    But i know for a fact that Alex loves the 328 also alot, so in his case it won't be a problem! ;)
    In my case it could be different maybe, not sure ofcourse! I DO like the 328 but for some reason, i would feel like going for second choice like you say, and then it's gonna be hard when it would cost me alot of money! I wouldn't feel that bad to spend it on my dream car! ;)

It really isn't easy, deciding what's best, but we all try to make the best of it in our own way! ;)

Guy

4. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    My two cents worth of advice... if you want to AVOID big bills altogether then you'd better wait until you can afford a F360 Modena Berlinetta or Spyder. The F355 was Ferrari's first production car with >100 HP/litre and 8500rpm redline, the technology was so extreme for a road car that several problems were only discovered when it was already in production.

It's still a great car, but for trouble-free motoring I would skip the F355 and aim directly for the F360 Modena, which was developed by learning from the F355 experience. From all the people I've known the verdict is unanimous - owning a Modena is no more complicated or expensive than owning a Porsche 911 Turbo. They really are reliable and well-built cars. With Modena Spyders now going for 80.000 Euros in Switzerland, surely it's worth waiting a little bit longer.

5. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    I have to agree with Andrea.
    Same is told by a very known and respected Ferrari mechanic in the Netherlands.
    If you want to avoid big repairs don't buy a 355.
    The 355 is the car with most troubles.
    Even a 348 is more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

but this are his words..............and works on them daily.

6. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    then I never would drive a Ferrari........my dreamcar is an F40.

7. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    Probably the same here.... I would love to have one of these:
    246 Dino gt
    250 gto
    250 testa rossa

not exactly in the cheap end ;)

8. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    I know Andrea, that's why i'm saving for a 360 spider!! ;)
    It's Alex who wants a 355 Spider!! ;)
    But in the end, you never know if you're gonna have problems! I also heared of people who say the opposite! People who owned both and say that they never had any problems with their 355 and had nothing but trouble with their 360! :rolleyes:
    It sometimes is one big lottery i guess!! :(
    But i know one thing for sure: a GOOD, CHEAP Ferrari does NOT exist!!

Wow, 80.000 Euros for a 360 spider, that is very cheap!! :)
    Over here they are "advertised" for around 110.000 to 130.000 Euros!! But ofcourse those are asking prices and i'm sure they are selling for less!! ;)

Anyway, i still think that i'm gonna build my own house first and then start looking for a 360 spider! ;) If in two years time the prices for an immaculate spider are at the same level as in Switzerland now, things are looking very good!! :)

Guy

9. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    Yes ofcourse, i would also love to have an F40 or Enzo,.... but that would take just a little bit too long to reach!! :D ;)

10. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Let the 348's keeep dropping.. I'll get a blk one to go with the red one. Hoooray

11. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Yes, indeed, I also know the fact that the 355's are so damn' expensive in maintenance and are not the most reliable... that's one of the reason's why my first Ferrari will most likely be a 328GTS. Great looking cars and, by Ferrari standards, among the most reliable older cars.

But that doesn't change the fact that the 355's stay drop dead gorgeous to me for some reason... and that I still would like to have one someday... :)

I'm not thinking about anything more recent then a 355 yet... a V12 isn't an option for me yet either... but you never know what the future will bring... On the other hand I would prefer a car not older then a late 328... again for the possible illusion, that those are more reliable then the older ones... altough I've heard good things about especially 308 QV's and Mondial QV's too...
    But of course, like Guy said, you have to be just lucky sometimes too... with all types... We'll see... :) It could still take a few months or a few years before a Ferrari purchase... depends on lot's of things... the cars that will be offered for sale and the progress in buying a house... to name just two... Fact is, that both the house AND the Ferrari are closer everyday...

12. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    :D Oh, if we're starting like that... a 250 GT California Spyder for me please... one of the cars on top of the list for me personally... but that one I'll certainly never get... :(;)

13. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    I agree that the 355's are drop dead gorgeous and in the long run will have the most timeless design compared with a 360! It just shouts FERRARI!!!! While i know alot of people who don't even recognize a 360 as a Ferrari!! :rolleyes: But they aren't into cars, so what do they know!! :D ;)

So the plan of buying a 355, drive it for a year (while i've got a warranty!! ;) ) and then sell it, is still in my mind!! ;) Does this sound stupid? :D

14. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Guy,
    This sound good but one question : Where do you get a one year warranty on a used Ferrari? normally warranty is only till the frontdoor of the dealer.Rob

15. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    Car dealers have to give one year warranty on used cars normally!
    New European rule since a few years! Ofcourse in case with Ferrari, there will be dealers who don't give it (which is actually against the law!!) But most official Ferrari dealers give a warranty here in Belgium!

16. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Hi Alex,

the most fragile + expansive F355 parts are cracking headers. Yes, it sucks.
    Now you can see many 355 fitted with aftermarket-headers by Quicksilver, Tubi, Fuchs, NAPerformance and others ... The same with cats and mufflers.
    Just calculate this on your purchasing budget and you are still under 360 prices. No reason to fear anything else. (let's say around 3.000.- €)

All other issues are common on many F-models as well.
    Lots of 355-things you can fix as a DIY-job. Not so on the 360.
    With Fuchs 100-cell-cats and muffler armed I'm still waiting on my first header to fail. :) (Nockin' on wood. :) )
    Surely the average 355 is running better then the general "355-reputation" wants to tell.
    And yes, exercise on a 328 and swap for a 355 later! You won't regret. :D

cinque

17. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Hi cinque,

Many thanks for the extra and very valuable information :)
    Yes, first the 328, then the 355 is probably the best plan for me :)

BTW, it's no secret at all that your 355 is a true beauty! Love the colour combo! I'm glad I saw it for real in Schwetzingen in july 2004... :) I remember I told Wolfgang it was IMO the most beautiful car at the meeting that day, even before I knew it belonged to an F-Chatter :)

Alexander

18. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    #193 cinquevalvole, Jan 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    THX for your kind words! A real car in the sunshine tells much more about colours then a 1.000 pictures on Fchat.
    As you know Wolfgang is always very "fanatic" in red paint on F-Cars. So please, tell him again and again, LOL :D
    No no, just kidding, .. You remember the blue Dino 246 as well?
    We shouldn't forget to mention that one. Not bad.

Maybe the 328 is reachable in the near future for you, I hope so.
    I owned a 328 for many years without any bad problems.
    Good starter kit! :D
    And you can learn how to drive a mid-engine car at
    the limit much better, cause the 328 is spinning with more surprise and danger.
    If you rule a 328 one day you can feel safer driving a 355 on the borderline!
    When the 355 rear starts to go sidewinding you can catch it again - if you have learned this lesson in a 328 before.

cinque
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    since I saw your 550 TdF blue 550 last weekend live on th road in munich......pffff.....amazing, breathtaking. what a sight in the snowy white munich babarian ääääh soor y bavarian jungle;)

20. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Sorry, not my car, but that's probably my mistake ... :(
    Hmm, could be Ritchy's car?
    http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ferrari2bn.jpg
    (looks more blu NART)
    Yes there are many good cars in munich, but for some reasons their owners are not posting in this section. Tell me, why?
    Come on, lurkers & leechers, show us your mobile assets!

cinque