Ferrari deny Alonso rumours as "nonsense" | FerrariChat

Ferrari deny Alonso rumours as "nonsense"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 355, May 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    A Ferrari spokesman has rubbished rumours that Fernando Alonso has signed a preliminary agreement to switch to the Italian team in 2010.

The rumour about the former Renault champion was heard more than once in the Monte Carlo paddock last weekend.

The German publication Auto Motor und Sport, however, quoted a Ferrari spokesman as saying the speculation is "absolute nonsense.

"

Kimi Raikkonen's contract with Ferrari expires at the end of the 2009 season, Felipe Massa's contract is up at the end of the 2010 season.

E.A. © CAPSIS International
    Source: GMM

2. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Anyone care to dig out the official Ferrari statements regarding Kimi Raikkanen circa 2005? ;)

3. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    I bet Alonso started these rumors.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 He needs the help and is out of the spotlight. Next year he is all set at Renault and that probably will assure that Ferrari look elsewhere for talent. Kubica is a much better choice!! :)

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think we all knew he was going to Ferrari in 2007. just replacing who was the question.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Todt stated that there was no contract for Raikkonen to drive for for Ferrari. Which was technically true. There was an option on Kimi's future unspecified services with a retainer of nearly $6 million done in December of 2005. They never came out and said a hypothetical contract with Raikkonen was "nonsense" as they have with Alonso.

On the other hand, I do not believe anyone anymore. Everyone lies. Then there is the clause in most of these driver contracts about early announcements of new contracts at another team. There is usually a date specified where a driver can talk about his future elsewhere.

7. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Alonso's coming, Ferrari is now just trying to prevent speculation over who he is going to replace. IMO Kimi is gone after his contract expires in 2009, he has plenty of money and wants to party. I also see Massa leaving in 2009 (or earlier) to make room for one of the young guns.

8. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Dug up old articles here, scroll down for the links......
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198973&page=6

You can't believe a word they say at the scuderia regarding their drivers. Never could really....

9. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The fact that this is early for even next season makes you wonder. It would not surprise me that Alonso has been asking if not begging for Ferrari to take him. They have more than likely been giving him a flat no for next season and just to shut him up they may have said we will see in 2010. Everyone knows that a romour for 2 seasons from now is a joke. No doubt in my mind that Alonsos people have been circulating the rumours just to keep Ferrari thinking about it. Like someone above said, if there was a deal then he would be saying ziltch untill this time next seaon. I can think of 17 drivers that Ferrari could take before him.

10. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    How far in advance did McLaren announce Alonso's signing?

How far in advance did McLaren announce JPM's signing?

How far in advance did Ferrari sign Kimi?

11. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Not this far in advance

12. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Oh, I see.

Two years in advance is OK. Two and a half years is not.

Thanks for the clarification... :rolleyes:

13. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I continue to believe that MS holds influence and FA will be at the very bottom of his list.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Alonso breaking the contract before he is even on the team.
    A new low ?

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If he had a deal like Kimi, he would say nothing or defer etc. He has no deal or he doesnt know how to keep his mouth shut. He has no deal so he runs his mouth to stay in the spotlight. Silence is always a nice confirmation. Noise is all you need to hear about a lack of a deal. How about that signed "option" posted by some other insider here. No proof again.

If he drives there so be it. We all like and dislike people for whatever reasons. Alonso as stated by Bernie has never been much of a champion. I find him boring, uninvolved and overly pretentious. I dont feel he has the quality to rate a seat at Ferrari. Ferrari could possibly feel otherwise of course. I am nothing to them of course(Ferrari), but a lowly fan.

If Alonso is there(Ferrari), I will be hoping his team mate outpaces him at all times.

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

It wouldn't be the first time a driver going to another team rumor has happened this early. I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish these rumors. They are probably true. And just out of curiousity out of those 17 other drivers that Ferrari could take before Alonso, how many of those are proven winners and former world champs? Hell, make that list 18, they could take me before Alonso too, it doesn't mean they'll win. He's the best choice. You don't have to like it but you might just have to get used to it.

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Has Alonso said anywhere that he's signed for the team? I certainly don't remember that. Link?

18. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Romours are usually inacurate. They are about as good as the long range weather forcasts which quite often turn out to be the complete opposite. As I said earlier...2 races into last season saw Alonso in a Ferrari this year. By the 3/4 mark he would be in a Ferrari in 2009 and now the "Romours" see him in a Ferrari in 2010. By this time next year Alonso will be romoured to be in a Ferrari by 2011 or 2012.....I love it. The sooner you guys realize that he is not as good as you think and that Ferrari will never ever take him the better. But then again this board needs something to talk about....Right?

19. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The only rumor I've heard that has been inaccurate was Alonso to Ferrai in 08. Other than that, many of the others have been right on. I never heard it as a done deal like this however.

As far as Alonso goes, you can feel however you want about him, if you feel he stinks and can't drive, cool, it's your opinion. However you harping on how Ferrari "will never take him" is incorrect. They will they what they feel like doing regarding thier drivers, unless you are LDM is disguise????

OMG, Luca, how about a discount on a 599???? ;)

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Of course they're going to deny it. My guess is it's on. The question is what do they do if Massa keeps moving ahead?

21. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
  22. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    And Alonso keep floundering.

23. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    He's not floundering, he's confusing his car by scoring positions it just doesn't deserve. With his determination, the motivation he brings to the team, there's no doubt he will win a race before the end of the season. Maybe you don't like Fernando, but there's no doubt about it, he's the best in the field.

24. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1. Well said.

I don't think he will win a race this season but there is no question that he is making the Renault look more competitive than it really is. I don't think there is another driver in F1 today, Hamilton included, who could have put that Renault on the front grid in Spain.

25. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Luis:

You've been around F1 long enough to know that rumors like this are almost always true. We only need to look back on 2005 when the rumors of Kimi signing for Ferrari were generating all sorts of momentum. There were a lot of denials back then too.

And also a lot of complaining about Kimi...