Ferrari Dealer extra markup for "exotic" | FerrariChat

Ferrari Dealer extra markup for "exotic"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wshepard, Jan 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wshepard

wshepard Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    William Pastuszak, M. D.
    I am in the process of purchasing our second Ferrari, an F8. We moved to a new state, since purchasing our first one 3+ years ago. Our new Ferrari dealer has a 10-15% additional markup (depending upon the model) to the basic Ferrari list price on all Ferrari models. Their explanation is that it is for an exotic car. Our first Ferrari dealer had no such markup for any of its Ferrari models. Is this markup typical? I called back to our original dealer in the other state and asked about this. They said it is against Ferrari's policy and Ferrari would be displeased with that dealership, if they became aware. What is true?

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

I think your previous dealership is right, they are taking the piss.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    It is always good to have a cordial relationship with your local dealer, BUT if they do this pre sale, how do you think it will go post sale?

Rifledriver and willrace like this.
  4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Jack-the-lad, Lusso123 and daytona355 like this.
  5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Order it from the other dealer you already have a relationship with...

Robb

Jack-the-lad and BOKE like this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My understanding is if you are buying new, you have to buy from the dealer in your area.

Texas Forever and vraa like this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    get a PO Box.... That is an absolutely ****ty policy to avoid cannibalization and protect the ****ty dealers...

Robb

Carnut, vraa and BOKE like this.
  8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That has not been my experience. Although they “prefer” you buy from your local dealer, I’ve purchased new from others outside my home dealer without issue.

daytona355, Robb and BOKE like this.
  9. wtshepard

wtshepard Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Will Shepard
    When I connected with my original old dealer about possibly making my F8 purchase from them, they said Ferrari expects dealers to sell in their own territory and not poach. To avoid my current local dealer markup I said what if I use a family address within the old dealer's territory for the purchase? The reply was, if the car gets its first service by another dealer, it would be a red flag for them with Ferrari (my original dealership is 2500+ miles away). I was told that if I wanted to buy a new car that was not a newly released model, something that had been out on the market a few years, it might be less of a issue. They reiterated that Ferrari was not accepting of dealers adding their own special premiums above MSRP. So I have contemplated pursuing the issue with Ferrari USA, but I would not know who to connect with. There is also the potential for poisoning the waters with the local dealer, the only one for quite a distance (which is a moot point if what my original dealer said really goes with Ferrari dealerships). Researching the matter further it appears that dealers dealing with American manufacturers, who mark up above MSRP on high demand models, make the manufacturers upset. However, apparently there is no specific language in their dealership contracts restricting a markup. But that situation is hardly comparable with Ferrari.

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Simple. You cannot order a new Ferrari from another dealer if you have one within 100 miles of your home address. An ordered Ferrari cannot be sold to the person who ordered it for more than the MSRP. It can be sold less than MSRP, however.

Of course there are many ways to bend the rules.

If the closest dealer you have is more than 100 miles away, this means you can order a new Ferrari anyway you want each time. The dealer can sell you a "new" Ferrari with delivery miles but it is ahead registered as used on title, for any premium you both agree.

Just shop around. It's a buyer's world, even for Ferrari

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    OP after close to 500 cars I have relationships with dealers all over the country. I see you are new here, but you have not put down a location. Normally if there is a dealer pulling something like this, it would have been brought up on here previously. There is of course a chance that myself or someone else on here might know this dealer, and may be able to contact them to tell them the error of doing something like that. I was interested in a car (M2) a little ways back and the dealers were marking them up 10K, I was told that if I wanted the car it would be 3k below sticker. I did not end up buying the car but they did get someone to pay that markup. I know I would help if I can and I am sure others on here would as well. The Ferrari world is not as small as people may think but this forum has over the years helped and hurt certain dealers, and aftermarket companies. There was a study done a while back, and it basically said that if someone does something you like the average person tells four others about it, if it is something wrong they tell 23 people. This would be in the wrong column and this dealer should be exposed if this is happening.

JAM1, Lusso123, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Now with internet, times that number to 1000

Carnut likes this.
  13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Interesting thread! Fortunately in the UK we have laws that prevent this type of non competitive/ restricted trade.

At the end of the day if the dealer wants to make a sale they can figure it out; there is always another on!

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    initial poster never came back, never named the dealer...
    credibility dwindling.

Lusso123 and Nospinzone like this.
  15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yup. I guess he got what he wanted and just left

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name: