Ferrari crash in Newport this morning... | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ferrari crash in Newport this morning...

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ricksb, Mar 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Still, once the CS was up set it began to skid uncontrollably resulting in a crash and fatality. My point is once the 360 begins to lose control for whatever reason the car wants to do its own thing. These handling tendencies were corrected with the 430.

2. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    If a 430 is hit broadside from the left rear by a 3000 pound car at 125mph. No amount of suspension telemetry, geometry, or computer aids will keep it from skidding sideways. This is not a "fixable" Thing. There is no recovery accept for the driver to wait out the skid until there is enough forward momentum for him to recover by steering into and then out of the direction of the skid.. Me thinks its time for you to go to Skib Barber for some basic driving lessons... Just look at the Indy cars.... they hit a pebble at 200mph at 3 gs in a turn and they go completely sideways and into the wall. Same principle.......

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Porsche punts him off the road and it is the fault of the Ferraris handling?

Get real.

You really need to invest in driving school.

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#154 SrfCity, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Glad you guy's were there and think you know EXACTLY what happened. F-guy dead and P-guy alive with F-guy driving a car that can lose control easily and hard to correct. Let's leave it for the legal experts to decide how hard the P hit the F(if in fact true) and what transpired after that.

5. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    No disrespect to you man -- you've made a clear position -- but I don't follow you. Unlike the Carrera GT incident, this was on a public street with posted speed limits and the car came equipped with a traction control system (that was the crux of the C-GT claim). Even if he crashed on his own, a manufacturer won't be held liable when the driver was doing more than triple the posted speed. In this case, some fairly ironclad evidence indicates the drunk driver hit him, initiating the spin. Not even OJ's jury would put that on Ferrari.

Bottom line, IMO: By grossly violating the speed limits, no driver can reasonably expect their vehicle to react safely to sudden inputs (particularly impacts from drunks), negating any claim of undo oversteer.

Either way, I think we can agree that this will be an interesting case to watch.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

True. Last comment here, IMO if he had of been driving a 430 I think the outcome may have been different in terms of car control. Plus, I'll be curious to find out what degree the P hit the F? Was the F starting to lose control first on the slick road and found himself careening into the P? I've witnessed a 355 do a 360 close to that spot when the road was slick as he was getting on it without any help from another car. This is all speculation as the cops have been able to map out exactly what happened.

7. 13MM

13MM Rookie

Jan 10, 2008
    Ever loose it in a mid-engined car ?
    Please take a driving class

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    the fiero was mid engined...

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #159 fatbillybob, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Porsche = Bad!

I hate those pigs. I got punted by one and now on track I have special racing style when I am around them.

If you are near a Porsche don't let this happen to you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I was gonna mention my gripe with Porsche, glad to see I am no alone.

11. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ouch, that really sucks! :(

12. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Lets start you out slow.. Try parking a Limousine...LOL...

and yes thats me parking the my Old Benz Limousine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyVWoa6sfWQ

13. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think the point that would be before the jury with respect to Ferrari's culpability in this case would succinctly be put like this: Is it reasonable to hold the manufacturer liable for the car's handling at over double the posted speed limit. If I were on the jury, that answer would come quite easily. The car is quite controllable at speeds that it should be driven at on public streets.

Cars being pushed should be pushed on a track where the price of a mistake is usually limited to hurt pride and a bit of paint damage caused by the gravel in the run off area.