"Ferrari Chat" Meet & Exotic Drive | Page 6 | FerrariChat

"Ferrari Chat" Meet & Exotic Drive

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Baasha, Dec 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    blah.

2. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    This man speaks the TRUTH. Arun is a great guy- no questions asked. If you dont like the way the drives are organized, then dont come. Its as simple as that!@

3. mooty

mooty Karting

May 16, 2004
    sf
    Full Name:
    john hua
    i met arun on 12/10 drive. he's a great person and very enthused about his ferrari and other cars as well. invited me to join in my GT3 though i had other plans and can join the drive.

arun's meets aren't the only one around. so if your particular car doens't fit his rules, i am sure there are other drives you can participate in.

you may not like arun's rules. you can start a meet of your owns as well.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Are you freaking kidding me? Arun, if I were you, I'd back down, man up, and apologize to a man whose depth of friendship goes beyond superficial trivialities that you dare not try to transgress for fear of awesome cataclysm.

And if you are going to detrude to low blows, then I will resolutely stand by my friend, remove the gauntlets, and let the hell beasts loose.

For what it's worth, I have yet to see a post where Rich says he did not want to join. He simply offered advise on how to make the drives better, safer, and generally more enjoyable. He even stayed for the drive past most others, whereas I felt it was a collosal waste of my time that morning.

I don't know about the rest of you, but seeing a bunch of italian sh~tboxes stuck in traffic on lame roads doesn't make me "orgasm" worth a damn. Rich, however, doesn't share the same jaded views that I do, and genuinely appreciates the cars and the sense of camaraderie that comes with that, and helps other car enthusiasts FAR more than any of the rest of the enthusiasts in this area I know. I have seen complete strangers come up to Rich on the fields of Concorso thanking him profusely for how much time and money he has saved people w/o any gain for himself.

If Rich, in his ways, is EVER in need of a car beyond his own, he is more than welcome to take mine whenever, however, and wherever he so desires.

Now which one of you miserably useless sh!ts is willing to loan someone your "precious" car for mere minutes, let alone throw them the keys for a few months? Until then, STFU and keep your plebeian, sycophantic views and comments to yourselves. I suggest you keep to the points on hand.

Arun - I hope you, in the course of maturity, realize that being antagonistic to people who try to help isn't the past of least resistance. Your life is your own, but it would be wise to draw on the life experiences of others along the way. I must say, your diction and rhetoric online as compared to yours in person are materially incomparable. Should you really share those views, I would suggest you pick up the phone and tell him yourself, rather than try to publically lambaste him. Should you continue with the latter, I would suggest you take some cliches to heart.

Until I see a public apology to Rich, I am not joining another of these drives. This may not affect anyone (though with my track record of success, and the lack of thought displayed on the one I attended, I hope no one ends up hurt or worse), but I firmly stand by whom I believe in.

--Dan

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I will say this: no one short of Rob Lay owns this board, and as such no one short of him can stop another from posting and conveying his own views, thoughts, or comments in any such way.

Further, no one I've met to date owns the public roads, and as such, no one can stop another from driving on them whatsoever, unless you happen to be a LEO.

Now *everyone* pull your pants back up and put the rulers away. Especially since you're using one of millimeter scale.

--Dan

PS: I find it interesting to see who has subscribed to FC as part of a community, and who hasn't. Food for thought. Search back in the annals of the NorCal section to see what camaraderie means.

6. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Instead of wasting time replying to your ABSOLUTELY USELESS AND VAPID comments/posts, I will say this:

If you and Rich don't publicly apologize to me for unprovoked verbal abuse, I will take every opportunity to denigrate your worthless obfuscation and your apparent "erudition" (or rather, the lack thereof) you parade on the internet.

Let's see Daniyal, you, are not me, nor will you ever be, so as far as I am concerned, all you have typed above is completely and absolutely worthless. You don't have the simple decency to keep your word and yet have the audacity to criticize me for questioning someone else's unnecessary antagonism? I think it is YOU who has some introspection to do.

Furthermore, if you and your "friend" have any shame whatsoever, you would NEVER show your faces at any of the meets/drives I set up. Anyway, it has been a COLOSSAL (I suggest you keep a dictionary next to you when you reply so that you can spell words correctly) waste of MY time and energy to be responding to this toxic garbage.

Also, when you mentioned that you and your friend were trying to "help" me, what did you mean? By criticizing the drive I set up, you have neither helped me nor maintained an iota of respect I had for you when we first met. Hereafter, I suggest we neither meet nor talk as we have nothing positive to say to each other. The same goes for your friend.

I would rather spend the time with people who are amenable and friendly.

7. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Wow. I am truly impressed. You mean the track record of you setting up gatherings and never showing up right? Oh yes, I remember clearly now. Please, continue to show everyone your omniscience and humility and I'm sure you will be greeted with open arms at the next gathering YOU put together. Oh wait, you probably won't show up to that one either. My my, what has the world come to? Words without action are futile. Again, some more introspection should help you with that.

What a joke this has been. Thanks for the laughs though. I truly enjoyed them.

8. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    This has been quite vexatious really. I never knew an online discussion forum could be so time/energy consuming.

I would like to take this opportunity to THANK those who have been kind, helpful, and positive.

9. FerrariSoon

FerrariSoon Karting

May 18, 2005
    Who knew those GRE words could come in handy on online arguments! ;) Indeed, the use of such words was supernumerary in this descant.

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Is it really just manageability? In any case it doesn't seem like this drive came close to stressing manageability with only 5 cars finishing.

Baasha says he has "nothing personal" against non-exotic owners, but then the basis for his retort to redhead is entirely ad hominem and based specifically on ownership status. This kind of response is both silly and reprehensible.

This speaks for itself.

This thread is starting to remind me of this other one...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70557

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Wow Yin, I never saw any of those. Interesting thread over there.

FWIW, I find it interesting that Arun chides "old men owners" and the like when he himself doesn't own a Ferrari. Ironic that he derides others for borrowing cars, when he himself is borrowing the CS. At least guys like Rich have earned the trust of friends to let him borrow cars on spirited drives.

Per his own words, Arun drives the CS when his father is out of town. Wonder if papa will be upset when he returns.

--Dan

12. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow! I've never read the whole thread before and never got to the good stuff. Pretty brutal.

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I don't generally get involved in the NorCal section but a complaint about this thread was in my email this morning. It didn't take much reading to realize that the problem here is with Baasha....... I don't know how else to say it other than quit acting like a wanker. Dan and the Ginger have both been around a lot longer than you and are good guys, try and get along with them.

14. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    I don't think that Art was "picking a fight here" - just bringing up something potentially important.

A year or so ago I was President of the local chapter of the SVTOA (Ford SVT car club). At one of the national meetings there was a major seminar/discussion on insurance.

Essentially if you get together with a group of friends and go on a collective drive, and one of you gets hurt or causes an accident, everyone in the entire group can be held individually legally liable. This stems from the assumption that the individual would not have been going at his speed, doing what he did, etc. except for participation in the group event.

This is why car clubs carry event insurance, have member participants sign in as such at the beginning, and also restrict these drives to signed-in member participants. Also why sign-ins usually include a claims waiver (for any personal claims against the group/club). Also why many clubs/chapters have a generic such waiver in their application forms. And of course why car clubs such as FCA, SVTOA, etc. carry event-insurance policies.

As for these FerrariChatNorCal drives, I haven't been on any of them yet, but it sounds to me as though they exceed 65mph by a smidge now and then. If so, that correspondingly increases your risk if something happens.

I'm not bringing this up to rain on anyone's parade - just to tell you what we learned in SVTOA when the subject came up. If you enjoy these drives, you may want to look into some event-insurance for them, and also make sure that all participants are pre-identified, sign in with a waiver, and that there is no expectation of exceeding legal speed laws.

15. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Waiver - I, the undersigned, agree to the following: if i do something stupid and try to sue others for it, all involved get to kick me in the nuts until the stupid idea of legal action leaves my pea-brain.

Signature: _________________________

16. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    You need all the potential innocent victims and their families to sign the waiver as well, otherwise there is a very good chance that the organizers' names are still going to be on the lawsuit. Obviously you can't do that. So you get insurance and protect yourself.

17. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    An interesting point is being made here....although I can't say that I have ever been on a drive with event insurance, it may very well be "the way of the future." It's no secret that the litigious nature of people is growing out of control. Any drive (not just Fchat) that is planned and discussed on an internet message board is public domain and, I would imagine, could come back to bite a group if, god forbid, something "bad" did happen on the drive.

18. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    How am I borrowing the CS? Don't blabber without knowing facts? That's just like you. Extrapolating words from another thread and completely twisting what was meant originally. OLD folks generally don't like loud cars is what I meant. Furthermore, how do I not own a Ferrari? I think you're confused. Are YOU borrowing the 550? I drive when my dad is out of town? Where did you get that? That one is new but still as puerile as your other statements.
    And Yin, my comments to Rich were only because he was antagonizing me when I wasn't even addressing him in the first place. Read the thread first and then reply. You have nothing to do with this anyway.

19. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal

Yes Yin, it is manageability. Also, if I wanted all makes/models to come, I would state that explicitly. It's called an EXOTIC meet/drive for a reason. How does that matter anyway? Everyone else had to leave to do other stuff so only a few of us finished.

Again, read the thread and then you'll see that I wasn't addressing Rich at all. He kept prodding me and then I rebuked his statements. Don't sit there sanctimoniously trying to tell me what's reprehensible or not. I don't see why you have this animosity towards me. Either way, I don't care. But don't you ever presume to tell me what I feel or not. It is ENTIRELY up to me to opine on a matter as I see. What is the importance of how I feel towards exotics and non-exotics? That is completely irrelevant.

Thanks for that link. There were a few good laughs in there.

20. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    I have been trying to get along with them but constant antagonism towards me from their part isn't helping any. Also, who's Ginger?

21. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Interesting. Never really looked at it from that perspective. However, you're right; with people ready to sue for trivial things, it is important to be protected.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Pot, meet Kettle.

23. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    #148 blu328gts, Dec 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    ooohhh la la!!! :D

25. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    What you're referring to is a quotation of your own words, not any presumptive statement by me. Your words were not a factual refutation of Rich's quite legitimate point - that there is a contradiction between your statement, as the organizer of the drive, of "no racing/showboating" and your action of racing other cars on public roads at 150MPH on that same drive.

Rather than discussing your view or refuting him, you chose to "rebuke" Rich by attempting (poorly) to belittle him, a true personal attack (not the "attacks" you continually misperceive, which most others realize is just advice, discussion or debate). And it is ENTIRELY up to me to hold and state MY opinion that such personal attacks are reprehensible.