Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli video game | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli video game

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tonyh, Apr 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    That's the fun part of this game. You need a different bag of tricks (driving lines, braking tricks, etc) for a) old cars like the GTO, LM b) Modern cars like the 355, 360 c) race cars like the 512 M & S.

In fact, switching back and forth between old and new cars helps my learning process. I find myself trying new things as a result.

An example: I drove the 599 first and hated it - it was real scary under braking (thought the engine was way too powerful for the chassis and brakes). But after driving the other cars and significant passage of time, I feel different about the 599 now. It is fun! The fun part is braking where the rear tends to dance around - using a bit of throttle helps control it well (I learnt this trick driving the LM). Best part is that you can use the brakes to help turn into corners better. My lap times have improved drastically.

2. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    If you had the DFGT wheel you could adjust the brake bias(red knob)...so you could eliminate the 599 twitchy braking.

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I don't think this game is set up to use brake bias adjustments this though. it will work with the GT5 for sure. :)

4. SaturnVUEguy

SaturnVUEguy Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I've tried racing the 599 and don't like the braking in it.

After doing the 250 GTO trophy the other night, I did the 250 LM trophy yesterday. I won't say the LM is easier to drive, but it is a totally different car than the GTO. It carries a lot more speed in the turns, likes to oversteer a bit which is ok with me. Fun car! Maybe next I'll go buy the Daytona

5. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    BUMP for a good deal ^^^^:D

6. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This game is the only reason i want a Ps3. Everything else i don't care about....... except maybe GT5 when that comes out.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How about F1CE?

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I've tried it out at a friend's place. It has fantastic graphics. :cool:

Do you like the game? I didn't play long enough to suss out the game. I think Spa was missing in the circuit set. Can we add tracks like we do for PC games.

The best think I like about PC games is that the gaming community gets behind the games and helps thrown in new cars and tracks. PlayStation really sucks in this regard. You are held hostage by Sony and the Game developers. :mad:

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #335 tifosi12, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    I play it religiously every year as the real season progresses. It does have Spa.

It is simply the most current F1 sim out there.

I used to be a part of that PC community you mention: I developed a few track for GP3, which got pretty popular (including Fiorano) and I learned a lot of dirty tricks doing it: There is a gazillion ways to affect performance to the point that winning a race becomes somewhat meaningless.

Also I did hate the constant updating of existing versions etc. And once there is a major release coming out, rest assured your PC needs hardware upgrading. :(

So while a console game like F1CE doesn't have all the latest tracks and updates, it is a locked system where you can't weasel out. You beat it as it is or you don't.

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I love that game! During the season the wheel and pedals come out to play, kind of ruins the living room, but who cares!

11. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  13. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Will do!
    and
    :confused: What do you mean you're using a projector so PAL isn't an issue??

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My PS3 is connected to a LCD projector. Unlike TV sets, they don't care whether your video signal is PAL or NTSC (or SECAM). They can handle it.

15. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Really? I didn't know that

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup. Give it a try.

The thing is, that any decent projector already has a better resolution than your TV picture. While PAL trumps NTSC, it is not by much, so it is no big deal for a projector to emulate either signal.

17. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Yeah, I didn't know that either.

18. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I hope we actually get the DLC instead of getting screwed over...again.

19. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I am in two minds about the DLC. Some of the cars seem interesting - Scuderia and the P4. The rest is ho-hum. The track is the GP circuit and not the Nordschliefe. :( I hate the new circuit.

20. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I'll be happy for any sort of DLC.

21. XJR-15 RACER

XJR-15 RACER Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    I REALLY wish I could find a used copy for Wii at my local Gamestop...

22. xsrdx

xsrdx Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Alexandria VA
    Started this game last Fall, worked my way through unlocking all the tracks and cars, figuring out the best POV and control setup for Wii, etc. At this point, having had it open 100% for awhile, my routine favorites are Spa, Mugello and Monza with the 575 GTC and 550 GT, with the 430 GT2 a good backup.

The sound for the 550/575 is tremendously satisfying, even compared to actual in car video - the trailing throttle is amazing to hear. And Spa never gets boring, unlike some of the other courses in the game. I can win the Quick Races routinely if I focus, but turning off the driving line and driver aids keeps it very challenging.

Interesting also how the AI bot car pace varies from course to course and car to car, even situationally depending on your relative pace and aggression; this has become a satisfying long term racing sim.

23. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Interesting. I find the AI spotty at best. Funny how they will move off the racing line to block you at the last second, a move that if you did would result in loss of control and a trip in the weeds. i still enjoy the game, though not as much as F1CE and DIRT.

24. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    There was a tip on a website, that the PS3 version will be $10 at Best Buy, so keep your eye out for it. It's only at the store, I'll post again if it's online too.