Ferrari Challenge - Sonoma | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge - Sonoma

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by ColaGuy, Apr 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ColaGuy

ColaGuy Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Joel White
    Just checking in regarding this years Challenge at Sears Point in a couple weeks. Its been several years since I've last attended and I've gotten pretty out of touch with the automotive world.

Looking at the SearsPoint site, and even contacting them directly....leaves me with the feeling that this is a much smaller event than it was in the past (it was never a large event). The track isn't even selling tickets, simply told me they will be available at the gate and they didn't know the price (said it was basically a track rental from their perspective).

I guess my question is, is it worth attending as a spectator, or has it turned into more of a glorified track day? Will there be vendors and food and such?

Thanks in advance,
    Joel

2. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    its certainly dwindled over the past 6 years, but even at its worst its still pretty cool and something worth going to, even if just to see the ferrari's in the paddock and watch some challenge racing, or just sit in the stands and admire the views....

3. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    #3 Vraiment, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Was up there this morning for a test day and there were 20 EVO Challenge cars running -- the kit knocks off about 2 seconds and the fast guys were pulling 1:40 and 1:39!

It sure has dwindled over the years. No vintage and no Corse Clienti program. And the VIP pass went from $125 to $225 with so much less.

Basic ticket is $20 at the gate. Full VIP pass "Ferrari VIP Hospitality" is $225 per person per day or 3-Day Weekend Pass for $385. The pass really boils down to parking in the Ferrari corral and access to the tent where they serve breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks all day. And if you want to get your car on the track you will need to have purchased a VIP pass. But for that you will also need to get the car inspected in advance. Here is the schedule:

FRIDAY, APRIL 25
    08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
    1. HOSPITALITY OPENS 8:00AM
    2. HOSPITALITY CLOSES 5:00PM

two sport sessions for Ferrari road car owners

SATURDAY, APRIL 26
    2. FERRARI CHALLENGE RACE 1 TBA
    3. HOSPITALITY CLOSES 5:00PM

3 sport sessions for Ferrari road car owners

SUNDAY, APRIL 27
    2. FERRARI CHALLENGE RACE 2 TBA
    3. HOSPITALITY CLOSES 5:00PM

3 sport sessions for Ferrari road car owners

SUNDAY ONLY: 1975 and earlier Ferraris get a FREE VIP pass if they display in the corral.

Here is the VIP pass purchase link:

https://events.ferrariusa.com/challenge-hospitality/11/#login-modal

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    In order to park in Ferrari Corral, the two following conditions must be satisfied?
    1. purchase VIP pass
    AND
    2. roll up in a Ferrari

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Yes. As to #2, I don't mean to be snarky but would it still be a "Ferrari Corral" if not populated by Ferraris?

6. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    well... I figure someone rolling up in a Maserati MC12 would get a pass... Or perhaps a McLaren P1/F1.

7. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    or someone in a 1964 cadillac limo....

8. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've gone the last three years. I think last year was the first time I've needed to pay. I've always parked my 355 in the Ferrari corral. This year, my wife's due date is too close to the event to go.

It's definitely a nice way to spend a Sunday.

9. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    saw that one

(or heck, an '87 Bentley loaner with 85,000 miles on it)

10. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I'll be there as always, Ferrari are slowly killing their own event, but it's still good fun. Hopefully Marco took my comments to Luca, but I doubt it. Hope springs eternal!

11. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    There is a LaFerrari on tour with Challenge 'racing days' crew, but I'm not sure if our event is big enough for the car to be brought to. However, it has been at several Challenge events thus far, Monza, Australia etc. There are no US spec LaFerraris yet so this will be just like when they debuted the 599GTO in the VIP area. Ferrari of NA will bring it if it comes Ferrari of San Francisco won't have it. So the only way to see it sadly (if it comes) will be with a VIP pass, I will try to nail down my buddy at FNA for a solid answer.

12. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Can you get us some hot laps while you are at it?

13. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I wish. I don't think so though, sadly the car they've brought to events thus far has been disabled by Ferrari so that it is unable to even start while on display. Which is odd because you would think they would just take the key.

14. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    They always seem to allow a Lambo or two as well...$$$ talks.

15. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    As noted below, it's now $225 a day for "VIP", up 80% from last year. And no F1, FXX, or 599XX. Just 20 or so Challenge drivers and their entourages. Perhaps FNA has decided to allow the locals to subsidize catering and track rental costs for the Challenge.

You can still get in for $20 (though they will probably up it to $25 if turnout is good) and there should be a snack bar open. Might not be able to park your Ferrari in the "Ferrari Corral" though, creating an oxymoron of sorts.

16. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Anyone know where they WILL park you if you pay the $20? Paved ? Dirt? Miles away?

17. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Paved lot one terrace up. Not far.

18. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Thanks Dave.

19. gismo35

gismo35 Rookie

Apr 26, 2008
    Has anyone found a link for the full schedule for the weekend?

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Please teach me your kungfu.

21. StigWagon

StigWagon Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi everyone, first time poster here. I've been attending this event for years and am looking forward to this year's event. I noticed that on the Corse Clienti website that F1 Clienti and XX Programmes are both now listed as featured for this weekend. To be sure, I also looked at both the F1 and XX schedules and Sonoma is listed under both. I hate to get everyone's hopes up if I turn out to be wrong but it looks like they have both been added to the schedule.

Anyone have a way to confirm? I'm not an owner, just an enthusiast, so I don't have any contacts at either SF or SV dealerships.

22. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    #22 Entropy, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    most recent schedule attached.

Corse Clienti (F1, FXX, XX, et al) not on the schedule for Sonoma. They are planned for Mont Tremblant in mid-June. However I know there are a few XX cars "local" to NorCal so maybe someone will appear.

California T will be unveiled Friday so I would imagine it will be at the track on display, but I do not know for sure. LaFerrari is apparently supposed to start making appearances but unsure (have not heard) re Sonoma.

Should be a fun weekend. The VIP passes are just for access to hospitality - breakfast/lunch, beer/wine, usually massages, bocce and white tablecloths. I believe that any Ferrari will be allowed to park in the "corral". If you want to drive on track in the DE sessions, believe you need to register with Hooked on Driving separately.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. StigWagon

StigWagon Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #23 StigWagon, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. StigWagon

StigWagon Rookie

Apr 22, 2014