Ferrari Challenge Sonoma | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge Sonoma

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Sledge4.2, Feb 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #1 Sledge4.2, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Awesome. Thanks for posting this; seems a couple weeks earlier than previous years. This is one of my favorite events of the year.

-Gil

3. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I'll be there as always. It's quiet a shame that we will NOT be getting the XX cars. In fact we may not be getting XX dates for a LONG time.

4. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Do you know if the F1 Clienti program will be there?

-Gil

5. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hadn't seen this yet! Thanks for posting. For a moment, I was afraid I had missed it!

6. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    At this point, the Clienti program will not be there. This could change, but right now, no F1 cars or XX cars will be running.

7. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    Thanks for clarifying, that is too bad.

8. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    Also too bad Laguna Seca has been dropped from the schedule.

9. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    WOOOHOOOO!!!! This is one of the best events to attend of the year. I CANT WAIT!!!

10. Mario599

Mario599 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    I just received the schedule of activities:

2013 FERRARI CHALLENGE AT SONOMA RACEWAY
    Ferrari of San Francisco
    Please read carefully
    The 2013 Ferrari Challenge will come back at Sonoma Raceway on April 26th - 28th.
    FNA will once again allow for track time for FoSF customers so they can enjoy driving their Ferraris on the track. We will have two run groups for that: one for the novice drivers in slow speed with pace car leading (touring session) and the other one for the more experienced driver who wants to hone his skills a bit – Track Day type of activity (Sport session). This activity will have to be organized and officiated by FoSF. On Sunday, we will have one session dedicated to vintage cars. It will be at slow speed with a pace car.
    Here is the outline of the event:
    The customer track activities will be managed for us by Hooked on Driving. All participants of the Touring, Sports and Vintage sessions will need to attend a drivers meeting, have their Ferrari inspected, they will sign off on a liability waiver and then receive their wrist band (track pass). No exceptions will be made.

The tech inspection can be done at the track but we strongly advise to have it done at our Service facility prior to the weekend (It will give you enough time to do what needs to be done in order to pass the inspection if it is not the case). You may schedule an appointment at (415) 526-2163. Please note that you are not obliged to use our Service facility to fix your car for the track.

The service facility will host a drivers meeting on April 14th and will broadcast the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix. Tech inspections will be performed that day as well.

Ferrari VIP Hospitality - $ 125 per person per day and it includes the Track Sessions
    o Admission to the track
    o Parking in the Ferrari corral (Ferraris only)
    o Exclusive upscale VIP hospitality lounge featuring breakfast, premium lunch, drinks, and snacks (full day)

You may purchase your VIP hospitality pass online at:
    https://secure.ferrarichallenge.com/register/enthusiasts/select-races
    Please do not forget to mention Ferrari of San Francisco in order to be registered for the track and Ferrari corral.
    If you are not able to register please call Jeff Garlock, the Ferrari Concierge at (866) 551-2828.
    Please find below a schedule of the activities:
    Sunday April 14th Service Facility
    9:00AM 11AM Chinese Grand Prix
    11AM 11:30AM Drivers Meeting
    Friday April 26th Sonoma Raceway
    9:00 AM 9:30 AM Drivers Meeting
    9:55 AM 10:15 AM Touring Session
    11:20 AM 11:40 AM Sport Session
    1:55 PM 2:15 PM Touring Session
    3:20 PM 3:40 PM Sport Session
    Saturday April 27th Sonoma Raceway
    9:00 AM 9:30 AM Drivers Meeting
    9:55 AM 10:15 AM Sport Session
    11.20 AM 11:40 AM Touring Session
    1:30 PM 1:50 PM Sport Session
    3:25 PM 3:45 PM Touring Session
    3:55 PM 4:15 PM Sport Session
    Sunday April 28th Sonoma Raceway
    8:45 AM 9:15 AM Drivers Meeting
    9:30 AM 9:50 AM Touring Session
    10.00 AM 10:20AM Sport Session
    11:25 AM 11:45AM Vintage Car Session
    3:30 PM 3:50 PM Touring Session
    4:00 PM 4:20 PM Sport Session
    Contact Emmanuel Turin at (415) 384-4307 if you have questions.

11. Chrigel

Chrigel Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    Thank you for the info.

I just purchased my VIP Hospitality Package for Saturday (FOG day, right?). Do I have to reserve a place in the Sport Session with FoSF or is there room for anybody that paid and inspected their car with them (even on track day)?

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I would like to attend but have a couple of questions

do you have to be a previous customer of FoSF to be registered at the track?
    is a helmet required? rental?
    any link to thread at previous years event?

thanks in advance.

13. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I can only speak for previous years but I don't know why they would change it:
    To answer your first question, no you don't have to be a customer of Ferrari of SF, there a quiet a few FOSV customers that were out on track in previous years.
    A helmet is required for the 'sport' sessions and not the 'touring' sessions. If you decide to buy or rent a helmet make sure it meets the requirements set. Here's a link as requested. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/california-nevada-northern/365887-ferrari-challenge-infineon-2012-a.html

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Toolfan, thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing some Fchat folks there. Maybe a caravan can be organized?

15. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Of course :). There will be multiple caravans. There will be one from Ferrari of SF, and lots of smaller ones with different groups, it just depends upon the day your driving in.

16. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    #16 Vraiment, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    Confirming what Tool Fan said above -- Helmet is required only in the sport sessions -- high speed with possible passing allowed (that is usually determined based upon how the first laps go)

Not sure if you need to be a customer of FSF -- I would contact Emmanuel about that as he is the FSF organizer -- but I have surely seen non-customers out there in the past three years.

But inspection is required by FSF in advance of the weekend -- most often the problem is tire condition -- if tread does not pass inspection they will not allow you on the track. So be sure to check tires in advance. Note: you are not required to perform any of the repairs noted at inspection with FSF's facility - - you can do the work elsewhere if you so choose.

Be sure to get your VIP pass which will give you access to the food tent all day and Ferrari only parking in the paddock.

Confirm your intention to be in sport or touring group in advance with Emmanuel as they have a cap for each session so you want to be sure you are on the reservation list.

Saturday is the FOG day -- Saturday also has an extra sport session added due to lack of Clienti program this year.

17. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Saturday's FSF caravan is expected to depart 7:30 am to allow for a 9 am arrival with a "scenic tour" en route.

18. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Chrigel see note above -- due make a rez to be sure you get in on the sport session.

19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    No Laguna Seca stop this year? And for the fellas doing all 3 days where are you staying? It'd be nice to stay at a place w secure Ferrari parking :D

20. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Nope and no XX class or Corsa Clienti cars this year either at this point, so unless the schedule changes dramatically in the next two weeks it's going to be just Challenge cars. Which is a real shame, in fact the XX run dates are in danger of leaving the US altogether.

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    In addition to the advice above, I highly recommend getting the tech inspection done ahead of time, rather than on the day of. A certain car named Monica was not allowed on the track last year because the treads in her tires weren't quite deep enough. Not easily rectified the same day!

Of course, be sure to flush your brake lines with fresh fluid, too (I use Motul RBF 600 (mainly because it has one of the highest wet boiling points), but usually you can get ATE Super Blue more easily; anyone try StopTech STR660 yet? Has higher dry boiling point than Motul, but lower wet. Castrol SRF is really good stuff, but $75/liter!).

Hard core track hounds use track pads but for my level of skill (not as great as many of my FOG bros (or sister A)), I find StopTech Street Performance Pads work well (plenty of bite at colder street temperatures, but good fade resistance at elevated track-use temps), without the noise levels and rotor wear of track pads. To pass tech, you need "enough" pad material left.

22. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    thank you for good advice. I guess I will contact FoSF to have car inspected beforehand. Just had all the fluids changed - wonder if the mechanic changed the brake also - will check paperwork. My car (360CS) seems to brake fine with the CCB, when driven on the street. Should be OK with touring group.

one more question - car doesn't have clear bra. Paint chip a real possibility for the touring group?

Sorry to have so many questions but NOOB gotta ask.

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #23 Need4Spd, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you had an annual fluid change service recently, chances are the brake fluid was renewed, too, but check your invoice to be sure. CS is more than enough car for the touring group. The groupings are mainly for experience level. Chips are possible, but not terribly likely in the touring group. It's pretty tame (although some guy managed to spin his 458 in the touring group last year. It was at turn 2, I think, or maybe 3a, but it shouldn't happen at touring group speeds. Go figure.). Some people use temporary tape over their cars to protect them but (1) it's ugly; and (2) you probably don't need it for the touring group.

Memorize the layout. Most likely we will use turn 9a not 9.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. captwillieb 328gts

captwillieb 328gts Formula 3

Nov 8, 2008
    Cool, CA
    Full Name:
    Willie B
    Great info DW !
    I'll be home in time to get my 328 out, inspected, and there on Saturday to have some fun !
    Looking forward to catching up with the group then !

25. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Yes, great advice, N4S. And I think you are right about the configuration. I believe they run it with 9a, the chicane, to slow the Challenge drivers down coming out of the Ss.