Ferrari Challenge at Road Atlanta | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge at Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Lanikai, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John.D

John.D Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2009
    France
    Many thx for your Hell, it's top for me the #73 it's new

2. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    #52 ewright, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Great weekend and nice to meet some of you, looking forward to the next one.

Attached Files:

3. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Did anyone by chance catch any laptimes for the XX cars? I timed a few FXXK laps here and there, the faster laps were in the mid 1:20's.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    we wanted to do the movie - but RA "officials" would not let us into the paddock.... so we left.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When did you attempt to do so? I got to the paddock entrance road at about 5:50 and explained the situation to the security guard. She called her boss who said he would call back and I parked in the adjacent lot. Before the call came, he drove up in his own car and told her that her day was done, she could go home, and all restrictions on paddock access were lifted. This was right after 6:00. Apparently I was the only Ferrari owner to then take advantage of the open access!

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    So they parked me right between two of Maranello's newest, so 35 years of technology improvements could immediately be seen. (My taillights are not on; that's the effect of my camera's flash.)

I took the fifth photo through the windshield from my driver's seat. Even rolling the window halfway up to keep warm, I could still hear the dialogue just fine, and the picture quality was great.

I got out of the car for the last two so that you could see the outdoor accommodations. The people in front of the white chairs were actually sitting in a sectional sofa, with two flaming cauldrons to help provide some heat. Even with that, the audience dwindled as the evening went on. Out of sight to the right, beyond FoA's boutique tent (Harold claimed they had a good day), was a trailer serving popcorn, assorted candy and drinks, all on the house.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thank you for that! Here's one I took myself, on Sunday, when I was parked on the other side of the lane, with one of the ever-present "Passione Ferrari" banners.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Okay, scratch those years; the mechanic obviously didn't know what he was talking about, which may be why he is with Corse Clienti and not with the F1 team! The first two cars were both 2003 cars, and the only one that survived the weekend intact was indeed the defending track record holder, owned at the time by Bud Moeller. The later one was a 2011 chassis. I never heard if any track records were broken, or what any of the F1 times were.

9. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I talked to one of the drivers and he said around 1:25.

10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Were the Fxx cars times faster than the challenge cars? Awesome racing, i enjoyed myself.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In retrospect, I'm surprised that the security lady didn't know ahead of time when her shift ended, which should have implied to her that after 6:00, access to the paddock would be open. Then she could have told anyone coming along before then, I can't let you in now, but after 6 you'll be able to go down there. (Unless, of course, she expected someone else to replace her.) In any case, security should have been told ahead of time that paddock access would be free after 6:00. Not a big problem, and I'm glad I waited. BTW, there were two other cars, not Ferraris, that also came down to watch the movie.

12. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I don’t know the official times but hand-timing the winning Challenge car showed times in the 1:28 range pretty consistently. So sounds like the FXX cars might be faster!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ktu likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The times I heard for the Challenge cars were just a few seconds faster, like 1:23 and 1:24. Certainly, the XX cars, with their normally-aspirated V-12s, sounded faster! (But I was disappointed that the only original FXX in the paddock never showed up on track while I was there.)

ktu likes this.
  14. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    If my hand timing was correct (the fastest FXXK lap I timed was 1:24), the new 488 evo was substantially faster. MacNeil ran a 1:22.845.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Obviously, Cooper McNeil has the right to drive in Challenge, but he is a legitimate pro driver who should be spending all his time in that arena.

17. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Certainly agree with your point about McNeil, but I find these times to be a testament to the inherent capability of the 488 EVO in the right hands. For reference, these times are not very far off the times the 488 GT3 was running at Petit Le Mans in 2017/8 although I believe with some development the 488 GT3 is now running in the 1:19.xxx range at Road Atlanta.

18. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Actually, there were two original FXX's on hand - one yellow and one red.

Agreed!

19. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I'm pretty sure that's the back of Peter Mann in one of those folding chairs

20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Wow, that time from a challenge car is simply amazing at Road Atl. I wonder what time Marc Gene can do in the Fxx

ewright likes this.