Ferrari Challenge at Infineon | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge at Infineon

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Logical1, Mar 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. captwillieb 328gts

captwillieb 328gts Formula 3

Nov 8, 2008
    Cool, CA
    Full Name:
    Willie B
    #76 captwillieb 328gts, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for all the fantastic photos !! Gets the blood going seeing all that gorgeous metal out there !!

edit - (and carbon fiber)

Looking forward to the events !!

meantime.... did you know that....

2. cr6man

cr6man Karting

Feb 22, 2011
    Land of Fruit&Nuts
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Looks like I'll head over to the race tommorow with you guys.....FSV is not going on this one,the are just doing Laguna this year. Hore to see you all there!!

3. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    FoSF departure is 7:30 am sharp -- don't miss the boat!

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  5. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    #80 F430GB, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sad to hear about the #99 car. :(

Here is a photo courtesy of Infineon Raceway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the black #30 FXX Schumacher's car???

-G.B.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I'm itching to get there in the morning!

7. cyjoferrari

cyjoferrari Rookie

Mar 22, 2010
    Dublin, CA.
    Last minute change of plans, and was wondering if anyone has tickets either VIP or normal that they can not use and are willing to sell. Need two tickets if possible. Thanks all!

8. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    You can get tickets at the gate. ;) They're always available.

$20 per ticket.

-G.B.

9. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you get hungry ....Let me know....The Ferrari catered lunch is GREAT....I'll "Sneak" you out a sandwich.....I'll be in a white "F-1" sounding "Red Head", I'll have the deck lid open showing off my "Mods"......Mark

10. cyjoferrari

cyjoferrari Rookie

Mar 22, 2010
    Dublin, CA.
    Thanks! I will be there in a Red F430 with my 9 Year old son. He will be the one with an IPAD stuck to his hand. Thanks for the offer. Hopefully we will be able to get in the ferrari corral and have good spots to watch the race.

11. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    If you are driving a Ferrari, once you get through the gate thay will direct you to the Corral.

12. tor82

tor82 Rookie

Dec 16, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    sean
    #87 tor82, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
    Here is a video posted by Ferrari:

Infineon raceway: un giro di pista / Infineon Raceway: a lap on the track
    Apr 30, 2011
    "Get on board of the 458 Challenge for a lap with Anthony Lazzaro,
    the Ferrari Challenge North America driver, on the day of the
    Championship's first race, starting at the Infineon Raceway."

in HD: http://youtu.be/8rX5iwSJ5UA?hd=1

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rX5iwSJ5UA[/ame]

13. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    ...for the most part. About 5 miles out of Infineon, my old familiar friend - my Check Engine Light, decided to come visit, for the first time in about 8 months. It was then I realized how little I missed him. :p

But that was the sole negative on what I described to my wife, and to those I knew who came with me today as, "a great day to be a Ferrari owner".

It all began when the caravan swung by the Chevron station at which I was waiting for them, so we could all drive down to the track together. I love driving in groups so much. When we arrived, we went to get our passes, and then parked in the Ferrari corral. With all the gorgeous vehicles everyone brought today, and all friends, local and not-so-local, who I recognized, it was easy to miss the 430 and 458 warm-up session. Was great to see Bob, Joe, Lyndon (congrats again on that 360CS!), and countless others from the NorCal Ferrari family.

After a mere 20 or so minutes, the call came for the Ferrari VIP Touring group to get lined up for the track. I always get butterflies in my stomach right before getting onto the track, and this was my first time in the F355, so it was even more exciting. I'd wanted to try out the car on a track for a long time, and it had finally come. It did just great. Sure, we weren't pushing the cars at all, but once I'd learned the corners, I was chomping at the bit, and would have loved to have done some light passing. Next time. :) As all track time does, it was over before I could imagine it would be, and I returned to the pits, to join my caravan buddies.

Before long, we strolled the pits - and boy, it's hard not to love those Challenge cars. Either flavor. And then you get to the F1 Clienti cars. Utterly amazing pieces of machinery. We watched 599XXs and FXXs scream around the track for a while, and had a lovely lunch in the VIP tent. I'm a notoriously picky eater, so if I say the food was good, it really was.

We went through the pits again, where Tony Nobles was talking about his ex-Schumacher F1 car, alongside it. He was so patient with everyone's questions, and covered every aspect of the car anyone cared to hear about. He offered me a seat in the car, and I took him up on that offer. Thanks go to Dave for taking pics of me in there. These cars are a whole other level of vehicle - you don't drive them, you WEAR them. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so thank you, Tony, for allowing me to experience that.

After a visit to the track store, which was more expensive for some than others (I'm lookin' at you, Pierre, but I commend your excellent purchase!), we went into the stands to find shady seats from which to watch the Race.

By around 3:00, I was getting tired (I should have remembered to wear my hats more often!), and a few of us decided to start heading back. Somehow, it ended up just being Dave B. and myself, and he led us back down Highway 37 and I-80 flawlessly. At the 50/80 split, Dave went his way and I went mine, a stray black Gallardo, who joined us around Dixon, in tow.

My new Lambo friend left at the 99 ramp, so I drove the last few miles home alone. Gave me a brief chance to again contemplate how lucky we are, and what goodhearted people we have in the Norcal family.

Everyone who came out today, thank you. You made it a very special day for me, and I hope it was a very good time for you, as well. Mike from Reno, it was awesome to hang with you again, may we do that again soon. Dave, Willie and Laurie, I can't wait to share good times with you again. And Pierre, you're like the brother I never knew I wanted. :)

I'll call Ben first thing tomorrow morning - I *really* want to get the CEL cleared by next weekend, if at all possible. Just in case, does anyone have an open passenger seat for me for Saturday's drive?

See you all next weekend, one way or another!
    Orrie

14. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah I agree Orrie, an excellent day, best Ferrari Challenge in years. Great friends, lots of California sun, and more Ferrari action than anywhere on the planet. One of the best kept secrets around. And don't forget, we committed to a private jet and Ferrari VIP in Austin next year! Yeee Haw! Giddy up!
    Dave

15. F1.360.LOVER

F1.360.LOVER Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Thanks Orrie and Dave for those posts. I have to say I had a lot of fun in the 360 on the track. Hope to join you guys Saturday. Austin here we come!

16. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    #91 kart, May 2, 2011
    Is this you? I think i got a photo of you getting in the F1 car.... you looked like you were going about 200mph the way we could all see the thoughts in your mind racing. Nobles was a great guy for showing us all an indepth look at the Clienti programme.. meanwhile i will have more photos and videos coming.

In my opinion, this Ferrari Challenge has been the best one since i started going 5 years ago.

17. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    #92 F430GB, May 2, 2011
  18. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    Yes, that's me. It's so hard to comprehend what the drivers deal with, in terms of physical space, the lack of protection, but mostly, visibility. It's not a whole lot to begin with, and if you've watched Senna, you'll hear about how much less they get in inclement weather.

And then I thought about the fastest I've ever driven (so much slower than they go, naturally... and always at or under the speed limit, of course!), the protection I've had around me at the time, and the fact that conditions had to feel "right" to me at the time. And still, how much faith I had to put into the car, that the machine would keep me safe. Now factor in all of the above - non-optimal weather, much less visibility, deafening sound, a foot or two between themselves and their opponents, no getting out easily, and the glorious speed. It's a huge leap of faith to get into a car like that, with the intent of pushing it near its limit. My hat goes off to these men. They've got balls bigger than their tires.

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Saw those being parked and took a couple pics. That grey [guy driving it didn't exactly know the actual color name] is accurate in this shot albeit the F40 is not.

Anyone know the color name? I can't post mine, but it was about as akint to Battleship grey as one gets.

20. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Grigio Medio.

21. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk

Accurate in what way? If you're talking about size, the 430 Scuderia looks larger because of the distortion of my lens and the angle I was shooting at. Sorry, I just don't understand what you're trying to say. :eek:

Grigio Medio is the color of the 430 Scuderia. I heard it was a $25k option?

-G.B.

22. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    #97 Itzkirb, May 2, 2011
    The F40 should be more Red. I believe this is the same car or the cars twin.

23. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I got out on Saturday and had a great time.

I have been wanting to see the F1, 599XX and FXX cars since they were there in 2007.

Here's a link to a little write up I did about my day - http://speedtrap73.blogspot.com/2011/04/ferrari-racing-days-chapter-1.html

If you care to see all of my unedtited photos from the day, here's that link - http://razzi.me/albums/754-ferrari-racing-days-infineon-raceway-04-30-2011

Always looking for feedback on my stuff too, so feel free to let me know if I suck or whatever you feel like telling me.

24. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #99 SonomaRik, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
    Color, not size ;). The red on the F40 seems a bit off in the pic and should be more like the Red in the F1 above it, but no matter. Didn't mean to step on any shoes. ;)

Thanks for the color on the Grigio Medio.

25. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron